Off-season discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013
You can't win with your goalie having to bail you out game in, game out. Imagine how good of a team we'd be if we had a coach who would utilize our puck-moving defensemen and not kill our forwards' creativity? Add Price to a team who's better offensively and you get a cup contending team, we have the pieces, we just need to utilize them.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
cap hit : 8.250

One year left.

If we have the cap space after necessary signings, then go for it. Bergevin needs to make an impact move. Even I'm not liking the idea of going into next season with Chucky and Eller as our top 2 C, but I am in the boat that thinks Desharnais and Plekanec need to go.

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site
One year left.

If we have the cap space after necessary signings, then go for it. Bergevin needs to make an impact move. Even I'm not liking the idea of going into next season with Chucky and Eller as our top 2 C, but I am in the boat that thinks Desharnais and Plekanec need to go.

Nothing wrong with acquiring a player with a big cap hit for short term imo - that is IF you can make his salary fit. I would take Staal in a second, but obviously would have to see what Carolina wants for him first. If I can move Pleks+ in a deal for him, sign me up.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
One year left.

and that's not a plus, the moves needed to make room on the cap, the players/prospects we'll have to give Carolina...

for ONE year of this guy ?

no thanks.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
My question rests with Eller. Can we reasonably expect him to play as well defensively while generating similar offence in the regular season that Pleks does?

I think Eller has proven he is nearly equal defensively, but offesively in the Rg Season, I just can't see it. Now, the real question for me is, would that change if we got a top 6 winger in a deal for Pleks?

I am all for moving DD to make room for AG. We would need to replace him at 2nd line LW. Is that a spot that a young guy can fill? perhaps. But I would prefer trading for a know veteran player and leaving the 3rd line open to that experiment.

Defensively? I don't see why not, he's very responsible defensively while some people here tend to overrate how effective Plekanec is defensively, don't get me wrong, he's solid, but let's not act like he's Guy Carbonneau either.

Offensively? I don't think they need him to be replicate Plekanec's numbers offensively, I think Galchenyuk's role will be to do that. But to be honest, Plekanec was the Habs most used forward this year, in fact, he was one of the most used forwards in the entire league. Lars Eller scored 15 goals with virtually no PP time while playing with guys like Prust/Moen/Sekac/Parenteau/DSP/JDLR...is it really fair to assume he couldn't produce more offense if given more icetime in key situations like Plekanec gets???

IMO

Galchenyuk + Eller >> Plekanec

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
San Jose is ripe for the picking. I would take any of JT, Marleau or Pavelski on this team and at least one of them is moving this summer.

What a ****ing joke. Did you just see the team that beat us? And you expect used up has been 35 year old + centers to help Habs?

Habs are in danger of being the team Tampa always beats on the way out of the division, for the next 4 years, like Edmonton did to Calgary in the 80's and Montreal did to Boston in the seventies, and so many other examples...

Do you realize how good and young the team that just beat the Habs is? Tampa is ****ing awesome dude.

Chucky has to be the no 1C, and Bergy has to find another star young no 1W to counter Tampa's young wing group.

I pray it is Scherbak. You should pray too.

Thornton. Marleau. Please.

Last edited by a moderator:

Saint Patrick

2 rings in my hears
Feb 14, 2007
We had our first line sniper, Thomas Vanek. I know he might not have stayed here regardless of what we did but how Therrien used him completely destroyed any chances of him wanting to stay here. He just doesn't fit. He is killing every offensive spark we have on this team and as long as we have him as coach, we will never have the offensive power we need, he just doesn't play that style. No matter who we get he would rather grind it out and win by one goal.

Watching this team dump and chase on every powerplay chance they've had or start the PP with David "clutch" Desharnais is demoralizing. Bergevin would pull a miracle if he could ditch Desharnais but Therrien will still pull something like playing Malholtra on the first.

Therrien has to go if we want a chance at a balanced team that could win the cup. His system works for many situations but his inability to adjust and adapt is why he will always get outcoached and cornered when under pressure.

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site
Defensively? I don't see why not, he's very responsible defensively while some people here tend to overrate how effective Plekanec is defensively, don't get me wrong, he's solid, but let's not act like he's Guy Carbonneau either.

Offensively? I don't think they need him to be replicate Plekanec's numbers offensively, I think Galchenyuk's role will be to do that. But to be honest, Plekanec was the Habs most used forward this year, in fact, he was one of the most used forwards in the entire league. Lars Eller scored 15 goals with virtually no PP time while playing with guys like Prust/Moen/Sekac/Parenteau/DSP/JDLR...is it really fair to assume he couldn't produce more offense if given more icetime in key situations like Plekanec gets???

IMO

I'm with this guy.

Personally I think Pleks is overrated offensively. He has no shot, scores a lot of crappy bad angle goals that shouldn't go in, can't take a one-timer...

Bottom line for me is that in the playoffs your best players HAVE TO BE YOUR BEST PLAYERS...and Pleks was just 'meh' imo.

Put Eller in those situations and those linemates and his numbers will improve by default. I still don't think Eller is an elite player though...but Pleks has had enough time to prove that he could be a key part of a cup winning team...time to move on before he loses his value and we get zero for him.

TCIH

Nov 26, 2007
Montreal
Pacioretty - Plekanec - Gallagher
Galchenyuk - Desharnais - Parenteau
De La Rose - Eller - DSP
Prust - Mitchell - Weise
(Flynn, Malhotra)

Markov - Subban
Emelin - Petry
Beaulieu - Pateryn
(Gonchar, Gilbert, Weaver)

Price
Tokarski

Key:
Re-sign
Trade or demote
Let player play out remaining year of contract
Let player leave in free agency

Plekanec and Markov are not pieces you win with for their price tag. Plekanec in particular could bring back something useful in a trade. Desharnais probably can't be gotten rid of, but it's worth a shot. Emelin could be serviceable as a second/bottom pairing defenseman, but his 4.5 million can be spent elsewhere. Flynn's spot is better suited for someone young gaining experience. Parenteau won't be traded, so let him play out his last year. I love Prust and I'm thankful for the time he's put in, but he's done. Especially at 2.5... let him walk after next season.

Petry MUST be re-signed. Weise should stay as long as his contract is reasonable. If the organization doesn't feel that they can actively take a part in developing Galchenyuk into what they believed his potential was when he was drafted, then they need to trade him while other teams are still convinced that he can hit it, because his value is sinking through the floor right now.

What you're left with, and where I think the remaining players should slot in:

Pacioretty - xxxxx - Gallagher
xxxxx - Galchenyuk - xxxxx
xxxxx - Eller - DSP
xxxxx - De La Rose - Weise
(Parenteau, Prust)

xxxxx - Subban
Beaulieu - Petry
xxxxx - Pateryn
(Gilbert)

Price
xxxxx

Fill in the (xxxxx)s with acquisitions from trades, signings, and promotions from within. I'd rather have a playoff-suited team that might not make the playoffs than a playoff-bound team that will lose in the first couple of rounds every year. The latter is a recipe for NHL purgatory. We have 3+ years of results to see which players can't perform in the post-season, and we know how important it is to commit your cap to the right players. There's no use trying to go through that again. That's the definition of insanity.

Of course, I realize that this is way too much turnover for a team that just finished 2nd overall in the league. But this is what I'd at least try to do.

Last edited:

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site
You can't win with your goalie having to bail you out game in, game out. Imagine how good of a team we'd be if we had a coach who would utilize our puck-moving defensemen and not kill our forwards' creativity? Add Price to a team who's better offensively and you get a cup contending team, we have the pieces, we just need to utilize them.

Agree for the most part.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
and that's not a plus, the moves needed to make room on the cap, the players/prospects we'll have to give Carolina...

for ONE year of this guy ?

no thanks.

Then what other center could possibly be available at an affordable price that could be our #1? Unless you REALLY want to put Chucky and Eller in the 1-2 slots.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
Habs have to get better down the middle, it's a must. You will not win the cup with Pleks and DD as your 1,2...no way. Yes, we had a fantastic season and thanks to Price for the most part, did it bring us the cup? No. Will Price put up the same numbers next season? he is the best goalie in the league, however not sure he will put up the same numbers. It's time for Bergevin to step up to the plate this offseason and get Price some help up front, Price can only do so much.

jwrocks1

Mar 28, 2015

IMO

I don't disagree. I just think Eller will be unabel to be a steady 20G 50 pt guy like Pleks is now. Unless we get him a top 6 winger in any deal involving pleks. But in this case I agree the upgrade in production you will get from AG over DD is > the loss in production from Pleks to Eller in the scenario we are discussing.

I just hope DLR can step up and replace Eller in the 3rd line already

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006
If we re-sign Petry , I think we are fine on D.

I would sign Jonas Enroth to backup Price.

Our forward group needs a major re-working.

Markov4Captain

Dec 29, 2009
Montreal, QC
Something that should be getting more attention but isn't is Therrien's blatant lie that Galchenyuk asked to be played at wing. For an NHL coach to lie in order to appease his critics is unacceptable.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Something that should be getting more attention but isn't is Therrien's blatant lie that Galchenyuk asked to be played at wing. For an NHL coach to lie in order to appease his critics is unacceptable.

Most of us know he flat out lied to justify putting Desharnais back in that spot. No one in the media will question him on it, sadly. At least not anymore.

Saint Patrick

2 rings in my hears
Feb 14, 2007
Most of us know he flat out lied to justify putting Desharnais back in that spot. No one in the media will question him on it, sadly. At least not anymore.

How do we know he lied though, don't get me wrong I agree I think he did, but thats just me, there isnt any proof no?

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
How do we know he lied though, don't get me wrong I agree I think he did, but thats just me, there isnt any proof no?

Therrien said Galchenyuk asked to be moved back to wing because he didn't want to play center or some **** so when the media asked Galchenyuk, he denied that and said he'd play wherever they need him.

Markov4Captain

Dec 29, 2009
Montreal, QC

Galchenyuk denied it. Why would the guy we drafter #3 overall to be the #1 center this franchise has waited over a decade for say he doesn't want to play at center? Ridiculous fabrication by MT.

jwrocks1

Mar 28, 2015

no they won't. Much like a parent asking their 4 yo if they are superman. The kid is always wearing the damn PJ's with the cape, but after a while you just pretend you don't see it because you are just tired of asking the same things repetedly. But you know the truth.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Then what other center could possibly be available at an affordable price that could be our #1? Unless you REALLY want to put Chucky and Eller in the 1-2 slots.

Yes, put Chucky at no 1 C. No choice. It's a risk, but hey, they had to play DD there all year instead. Contrary to what 95% of posters here thought was smart.

Vindication. Lesson learned.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009

If he lied, the players will know, and they will fire him next year for it. MB should fire him before the draft for it though.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal

This topic has been beaten to death. I still don't understand in a transition year, they (management / coaching staff) did not have Galchenyuk at C.

Saint Patrick

2 rings in my hears
Feb 14, 2007
Galchenyuk denied it. Why would the guy we drafter #3 overall to be the #1 center this franchise has waited over a decade for say he doesn't want to play at center? Ridiculous fabrication by MT.

Therrien said Galchenyuk asked to be moved back to wing because he didn't want to play center or some **** so when the media asked Galchenyuk, he denied that and said he'd play wherever they need him.

Yeah I remember the denial, but it could have been a case of Therrien asking him right now what he feels comfortable playing, and something along the lines of Chucky saying he felt the pressure was too high. Dont get me wrong I totally feel Therrien didnt encourage him to keep fighting for that spot and that he would support him, he seized that chance to put his golden love child in that spot but still, maybe that story has been exaggerated a bit ?

I'm trying to make sense of something that is so blatently obvious that I somehow missed something. Bergevin drafts a stud first line center type player, we dont play him at center for a while, he does well, we play him at center for a few games, he explodes, a few slower games later Therrien puts him back on the wing and he hasnt played the same since. Bergevin sees all this and doesnt budge on a team that has clear problems scoring? I haven't started blaming Bergevin yet, but something has to be missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad