Off-season discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HabsDieHard*

Totally agree. The easy thing, it seems, is to blame the coach but hey, blame away!

Is this the part where you highlight all of the mid 20's players who are better now than they were in 2012 as "evidence" that Therrien has brought out the best in players on the team?

I always like that part of the "Therrien is a good coach" argument.

DD51*

Yeah and we beat Chicago, Saint-Louis, Rangers... what's your point? There is things to be work in this team, many things, but you don't throw everything away after a 110 points season.... that's not true.... and people in here instead of looking at way to twirk things to make this team better, they want to blow everything up.... that's stupid.....

you are absolutely right. MB needs to find a top line center or RW, and in the process sacrifice Plekky, DD and a D like Emelin or even Markov. Hawks might want to shed some salaries ans a guy like Patrick Sharp might be part of the solution. The UFA market is really lower quality this year. a guy like Frolik or even Vermette at a reasonable price could fill a hole for a couple of seasons while waiting for Scherbak, Hudon or tye kid they gonna draft next June be ready.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
When you have nothing of value to add, continue to scream 110 points.

Simple response, second round exit.

Brings as much to the discussion. Its not like this board isnt to discuss weaknesses and addressinflg needs.

Nope, "rah rah, 110 points"

Slew Foots

Everything is OK
Sep 6, 2006
The lock out year is a half season where a pile of veterans showed up out of shape and struggled to get going. It's more likely to skew numbers than be a true indication. The Habs also snuck up on a lot of teams after finishing 28th.

How can Therrien kill Eller's creativity? He never had any.

Again, Glachenyuk is getting top 6 minutes and PP time, the only unfair treatment he is getting is to himself in being stubborn with his junior moves. He has the talent to be a very good NHL player, probably a 1st liner, but not until he adapts his puck skills to the NHL and uses his teammates more.

Eller produced 30 points in 46 games playing as a 3rd liner with very little PP time during the lockout shortened season. Pretty good for a guy who never had any creativity. Most young guys who put up such a season would get a prolonged look in a top six role, which MT never gave to Eller. Even after Eller came back and was our best forward in 2 playoff runs, MT never gave Eller a real look in a top 6 role. Consistent unfair treatment eventually destroyed Eller.

It's also a little intellectually disingenuous to claim that a pile of veterans showed up out of shape. Most veterans are professionals who kept in shape and played in Europe. Anything to discredit what I'm suggesting though and perpetuate the false narrative of Eller being a talentless hack with zero creativity...

And Galchenyuk would use his teammates plenty if the system allowed for it, but MT forces a north-south system which completely nullifies Galchenyuk's east-west instincts.

shawdowmaker

Dec 20, 2011
Montreal
Yeah and we beat Chicago, Saint-Louis, Rangers... what's your point? There is things to be work in this team, many things, but you don't throw everything away after a 110 points season.... that's not true.... and people in here instead of looking at way to twirk things to make this team better, they want to blow everything up.... that's stupid.....

The sense of urgency comes from the window of opportunity the habs currently have with key players in place. Not to be taken lightly. I can t speak for others but personally I would try to make these changes:

1. Trade Plekanec or have him as my 3rd line center. Galchenyuk to play center 1 or 2 line.
2. Trade Markov before it's too late. Promote the young guys sign Petry. Can t trade Markov if Petry is not locked up first.
3. Keep Mitchell, Weise, get rid of Prust, DSP, Flynn, Malhothra, Gonchar
4. Trade or realease DD
5. Added some skill and size up front. Like a P Sharp, Marleau
6. Tinordi to play no trade. He will learn. Emelin and Gilbert bye!

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
maybe because when your having the success this team had this year, the transition side takes a step back.... the problem with this city as that you need to perform and unless **** hits the fan early on in a season we are condemn to play for winning... we will never have a real transition period in a place like MTL, the only shot we have is like 3 years ago with the Cunneyworth debacle....

I agree that it's difficult to win the big prize when you keep patching every year in order to just make the playoffs. Sometimes you need to take a step back for future success. The good news is that we have very good players in almost every position. Habs drafted Galchenyuk as the future #1 centre and for me, the future is now.

HabsDieHard*

Eller also, even if he doesn't have high end offensive talent, could have been the faceoff winning, strong, net front presence this powre play badly needed all season long and in the playoffs.

Instead it was Plekx/DD as the power play centers basically all season long.

As well as the exact same forward trios at 5 on 5 as on the power play.

The sad thing is that the management team of Montreal will prattle on with the same hollow talking points that the apologists in here do.

They'll cite Pacioretty, Subban, Gallagher and Galchenyuk having career years.

They'll cite the 110 points.

They'll brag about making a series out of it against Tampa.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
Eller produced 30 points in 46 games playing as a 3rd liner with very little PP time during the lockout shortened season. Pretty good for a guy who never had any creativity. Most young guys who put up such a season would get a prolonged look in a top six role, which MT never gave to Eller. Even after Eller came back and was our best forward in 2 playoff runs, MT never gave Eller a real look in a top 6 role. Consistent unfair treatment eventually destroyed Eller.

It's also a little intellectually disingenuous to claim that a pile of veterans showed up out of shape. Most veterans are professionals who kept in shape and played in Europe. Anything to discredit what I'm suggesting though and perpetuate the false narrative of Eller being a talentless hack with zero creativity...

And Galchenyuk would use his teammates plenty if the system allowed for it, but MT forces a north-south system which completely nullifies Galchenyuk's east-west instincts.

Great point.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
It's almost as if he's a 19 year old

DLR looked great at C in the early going, but too much was expected of him.

Which I don't dispute, but the quote highlighted DLR as our third line center. He is in no way ready for that.

If Plekanec can fetch good players on a trade, then why not?

But it all depends on Begervin's ability to sign a top 6 center this offseason, which is easier said than done.

Because Plekanec is still a good player who I think we'd sorely miss. He's at the very least, a fail safe if Galchenyuk or Eller struggle in the top six.

jwrocks1

Mar 28, 2015
Which I don't dispute, but the quote highlighted DLR as our third line center. He is in no way ready for that.

Because Plekanec is still a good player who I think we'd sorely miss. He's at the very least, a fail safe if Galchenyuk or Eller struggle in the top six.

I think a AG/Pleks/Eller top 9 is a great top 9. IF we can get some top 6 help on the wings.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
You know another reason I want to press hard for players of Sharp, JVR, Vrbata and etc's caliber? It leaves no room for Therrien to hide if we continue fail delivering any offense. The excuse now is we lack the personnel. The aforementioned players change that.

jwrocks1

Mar 28, 2015
You know another reason I want to press hard for players of Sharp, JVR, Vrbata and etc's caliber? It leaves no room for Therrien to hide if we continue fail delivering any offense. The excuse now is we lack the personnel. The aforementioned players change that.

get out of my head!!!!!

HabsDieHard*

I'd be okay with moving Plekanec because I could see a team giving up a nice return for him.

But it'd have to be accompanied by bringing in a guy like Vermette (who is going to be expensive and get a lot of years).

And Desharnais needs to go.

No more of these delusions about him being a decent winger.

The guy sucks, and knows nothing about raising his game when it matters.

Hell, if the Habs want to do an ACTUAL transition year, I'd be fine with an Eller/Galchenyuk/De La Rose trio.

I mean, I think I'm not the only one who would be okay with an actual transition year, as opposed to some mindless nonsense about it that simply isn't true.

And Therrein needs to go.

This team makes me sad.

HabsDieHard*

Carl Soderberg would be a fantastic addition if they looked into moving Plekanec.

DD51*

When you have nothing of value to add, continue to scream 110 points.

Simple response, second round exit.

Brings as much to the discussion. Its not like this board isnt to discuss weaknesses and addressinflg needs.

Nope, "rah rah, 110 points"

sorry, amount of points and positions in the standings are vital components in a coaches c.v. Habs did not beat TB but they have beaten lots of very good teams thriughout the season. MT is an average coach, not the best, but certainly not the worst.

DD51*

I'd be okay with moving Plekanec because I could see a team giving up a nice return for him.

But it'd have to be accompanied by bringing in a guy like Vermette (who is going to be expensive and get a lot of years).

And Desharnais needs to go.

No more of these delusions about him being a decent winger.

The guy sucks, and knows nothing about raising his game when it matters.

Hell, if the Habs want to do an ACTUAL transition year, I'd be fine with an Eller/Galchenyuk/De La Rose trio.

I mean, I think I'm not the only one who would be okay with an actual transition year, as opposed to some mindless nonsense about it that simply isn't true.

And Therrein needs to go.

This team makes me sad.

DD is not the only one not raising his game at crucial times. I hope hés gonna be dealt away. No more ****ing stupid threads about him.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

That's complete BS, Eller's creativity is circling the zone protecting the puck, it ends there. He plays hockey in a tunnel.

shawdowmaker

Dec 20, 2011
Montreal

BTW, if you don t see anything wrong in the way habs got dismanled in those games I mentioned I m not sure what to tell you! I watch hockey differently maybe? Trying to say habs got exposed and management failed to address the problems. It's ok to lose but it's how you lose that says a lot about your team. I saw big problems.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
sorry, amount of points and positions in the standings are vital components in a coaches c.v. Habs did not beat TB but they have beaten lots of very good teams thriughout the season. MT is an average coach, not the best, but certainly not the worst.

Sorry goal is to win a cup

Coaching is still a major weakness along with many roster issues.

Its a message board to discuss the team. A team who took a step back this year and certain players like markov and pleks are getting older.

have an opinion. Why are you here if all you wanna do is heap praises for a second round exit.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Carl Soderberg would be a fantastic addition if they looked into moving Plekanec.

Soderberg would definitely be a guy I'd have no problem giving 5x5 to. Only concern really is he's already 29 years old and Plek has started declining already at 32. Playing so many years in a shorter season in Sweden might mean Soderberg has more left in him though.

DD51*

Well the record is good but the season was far from satisfying.

Players I badly want gone :

- David Desharnais
I actually don't mind him that much, but I'm god damn tired to see him on the first line and be man handled in the playoffs.

- Pierre-Alexandre Parenteau
He fits nowhere. He's not skilled enough to be on our top 6. Waste of a roster spot.

- Alexei Emelin
He's god awful. Has no offensive skill and he blows coverage way too much. His only contribution is being physical but all our dmen are starting to be tougher so he's kinda useless now.

- Tom Gilbert
I'll never understand the love he gets here. Seems like once or twice a game he makes a brain fart and it results in a lot of goals against. He was brought here to help our offense and break out of the défensive zone but it's the areas he's been worst at.No, he's not a luxuary of a 6th dman. He blows.

Players I wouldn't mind to be traded :

- Tomas Plekanec
I love Plekanec, he's been one of my favorite players during the past decade and I've defended him a lot, but his play in the playoffs is inexcusable. He could fetch us some key pieces going forward.

- Andrei Markov
Either give him substentially less ice time or trade him. He's not what he used to be. Worst dman in the playoffs right now.

markov has a ntc and a girlfriend in Montreal. He won't be moved. Just play him less on a second pairing

Emelin has some value and could be packaged. i just hope Tinordi is ready for tye challenge on a third pairing

Gilbert is fine when playing on his natural side

plekky has the most value of all. but are we really sure Galchy can really play centre effectively. Big gamble,here.

yes Dd can should must go, even if it is for the sanity of this board only....

Madevilz

Nov 9, 2003
Montreal
Was talking with a co-worker this morning, and he said he would give Subban (+picks/prospects) for Edmonton's first to fix our offense.
At first, I thought he was crazy, but then the more I think about it, I'm not sure anymore.

Let's say EDM would listen, would you guys do it to get McDavid?

In b4 Oilers would ask for Price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad