Off-season discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

jwrocks1

Mar 28, 2015
I'll give you, Sharp could be a better fit due to Therrien's 'system', though I have the faint hope if Bergevin started getting skill players, things might change. The issue with Sharp, however, is Chicago cannot take back any salary. Not to mention he struggled significantly this season. So I'd be a little on the fence getting him.

If we are able to move DD for a middling pick or prospect without taking back salary, we can afford Sharp's contract. Also, Sharp would be much less expensive in assets due to that contract and NTC. Also, part of his struggles this year were due to his usage ( and a career low shooting %). He was pushed into a bottom 6 role allowing younger players time in the top 6. But once the playoffs started, he was put back into that role and has been lights out great.

The type of player Sharp is though, IMHO, is a great fit for AG as a C. He would be an excellent mentor for him, while helping to cover some defensive mistakes, all while being a 20-30G (ish) threat in a 2nd line

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
Desharnais
It's now obvious that he can't help this team going forward. He had an awful season with even worse playoffs. It's Bergevin's duty to get rid of his contract now.

Plekanec
I'm still emotional about the series loss, but Plekanec was invisible once again. It's really hard to judge where to go from here with him because you get into the playoffs with consistent players like him but you don't win the Stanley Cup with him centering your first line. He made some costly turnovers throughout the playoffs and he's directly responsible for the first goal last night. Really disappointed in him to be honest.

Galchenyuk
He needs to center the first line next year, all season, with Pacioretty. He's a natural center, it's obvious.

Petry
Needs to be resigned.

Bergevin
This team is getting bigger and stronger. Despite some bad statistics this season possession wise, this team performed well in the playoffs. But they need a top-6 forward or two or they won't contend once again.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
My question rests with Eller. Can we reasonably expect him to play as well defensively while generating similar offence in the regular season that Pleks does?

I think Eller has proven he is nearly equal defensively, but offesively in the Rg Season, I just can't see it. Now, the real question for me is, would that change if we got a top 6 winger in a deal for Pleks?

I am all for moving DD to make room for AG. We would need to replace him at 2nd line LW. Is that a spot that a young guy can fill? perhaps. But I would prefer trading for a know veteran player and leaving the 3rd line open to that experiment.

Eller has all the physical tools in the world. He lacks hockey sense but that doesn't mean he can't be successful. Lots of players with the physical tools have had success with the right players around them.

If you play Eller with a smart hockey player who will take advantage of a horse on his line, he will have success. The problem arises when Eller is the most talented player on his line (as has been the case for most of the year, playing with Prust/Weise/Moen/Bourque/ etc...).

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
My question rests with Eller. Can we reasonably expect him to play as well defensively while generating similar offence in the regular season that Pleks does?

I think Eller has proven he is nearly equal defensively, but offesively in the Rg Season, I just can't see it. Now, the real question for me is, would that change if we got a top 6 winger in a deal for Pleks?

I am all for moving DD to make room for AG. We would need to replace him at 2nd line LW. Is that a spot that a young guy can fill? perhaps. But I would prefer trading for a know veteran player and leaving the 3rd line open to that experiment.

Eller was buried this year. Worst possible scenario.
No offensive zone start, he was one of the worst in the league in this category.
He never gets to play on the Powerplay.
He never got to play with top talent on his wing.

If Eller took a 100 minutes of PP like Plekanec. Played with good skilled winger....and get a better share of Offensive zone starts, of course his production would flourish, just like Weise's production when he got to play on the top line.

Eller would never be a 70pts guy....but he could very well be a 50pts, 2-way center, really good in faceoff, speed, size and grit with tons of experience with hard minutes with his prime years still ahead of him.

Got 30pts in 46 with skilled wingers (not even with PP or O-zone start).
Was great with the EGG line....with Moen and Kostitsyn....with Bourque and Gionta.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
Realistic summer moves:

- trade Parenteau with retain salary or buy him out
- trade Gilbert or Emelin if Petry re-sign
- fire Dan Lacroix
-sign a UFA top 6 forward or trade for one with some of these assets (1st round pick, Fucale, Tinordi, Scherbak, Andrighetto and Desharnais).

Blood On The Ice

Jul 17, 2007
Montreal
If we are able to move DD for a middling pick or prospect without taking back salary, we can afford Sharp's contract. Also, Sharp would be much less expensive in assets due to that contract and NTC. Also, part of his struggles this year were due to his usage ( and a career low shooting %). He was pushed into a bottom 6 role allowing younger players time in the top 6. But once the playoffs started, he was put back into that role and has been lights out great.

The type of player Sharp is though, IMHO, is a great fit for AG as a C. He would be an excellent mentor for him, while helping to cover some defensive mistakes, all while being a 20-30G (ish) threat in a 2nd line

With all his alledged off-ice antics, I would not touch Sharp even with a ten foot pole.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I said this last season but people gave me **** for it. He's not a #2 defenseman anymore, and we should stop playing him like one. I want Beaulieu-Subban and Markov-Petry next season.

I like that top 4 a lot.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

Fair enough. I like Sharp, but we would then have to find a way to dump PAP because he just shouldn't be on this roster. Perhaps we could target Sharp and get Toronto to take PAP if we pulled off the JVR trade I proposed. Either way, I feel we need two big offensive splashes, even if I'd like to see what Scherbak might do.

On a different note. Those trying to shove Plekanec out the door need to chill. We are in no position to be hinging all our bets on Galchenyuk and Eller taking hold of the reins. While Plek disappointed, I would rather retain him in a reduced role than deal him away. Remember, GMs are acutely aware why we'd put him on the market and will adjust their offers accordingly.

This is why I want to go out and get players like Higgins. Put him with Plek and role them as a defensive line while alleviating Eller of that duty. We simply need more quality depth instead of quantity, which is what Bergevin ended up getting at the deadline.

Habsfannick

Jul 8, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
What are the rules for coaches? Can MB talk to Babcock without firing Therrien first? Like just a private quick chat to see his interest? Or get a guy like Carey to talk to his Olympic coach and see his interest. If Babcock is interested you promote Therrien to Vice President of some ******** and sack his coaching staff. Go hard after Babcock we should easily be his top choice if the money is there. Let Mike choose his coaching staff.

Trade Desharnais, Parenteau and Emelin for scraps, resign Petry and go after a top 6 winger

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Sharp/UFA
Camp Standout-Eller-Gallagher
DLR-Plekanec-DSP
Prust-Mitchell-Weise

Beaulieu-Subban
Markov-Petry
Tinordi-Gilbert
Pateryn

Price
Tokarski

Wouldn't mind finding a taker for Pleky either in a deal for a 3C+

We get a real transition year finally for our youth

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Absolutely. DLR is horrendous at faceoffs and frankly, not a good center as a whole. Galchenyuk is still learning as well, thanks to poor roster choices. Andy more or less summed it up.

It's almost as if he's a 19 year old

DLR looked great at C in the early going, but too much was expected of him.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
On a different note. Those trying to shove Plekanec out the door need to chill. We are in no position to be hinging all our bets on Galchenyuk and Eller taking hold of the reins. While Plek disappointed, I would rather retain him in a reduced role than deal him away. Remember, GMs are acutely aware why we'd put him on the market and will adjust their offers accordingly.

If Plekanec can fetch good players on a trade, then why not?

But it all depends on Begervin's ability to sign a top 6 center this offseason, which is easier said than done.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Bergevin also get rid of Plekanec and a d-man for Sean Couturier,and trade Desharnais for a draft pick,if you need another center you could always sign Vermette or even sign Ribeiro to a 1 year contract.

Flyers will not trade Couturier for a 32 years old C on his last year. Plekanec makes 5M+...

reality... you know.

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site
San Jose is ripe for the picking. I would take any of JT, Marleau or Pavelski on this team and at least one of them is moving this summer.

Unlike many here, I have never been really all that convinced of these supposed "blue chip" prospects the Habs have waiting in the wings.

Guys like McCarron, Tinordi, Scherbak... I just don't see it to be honest. They might be NHLers but not impact players. Once upon a time people were penciling in David Fischer, Ian Schultz and Alexander Avstin as sure-fire future impact players too.

Other players like Andrighetto, Reway, Hudon are too small. I think out of all of them, Hudon is the best prospect on the team but he cannot stay healthy and is small. Another small gritty player. The others won't make it here.

Time to move some of these prospects for some real players, before they lose what value they have.

Is Tyler Johnson too small?

We need to start playing a different style of hockey to win...MT has these guys playing dump and chase...he is destroying any talented players (or limiting them at the very least). For us to take the next step MT has to go.

His supporters will say that he had 100 points, division wins, bla bla bla...the only results that matter are CUPS. Not saying it's easy, but I didn't like the intensity of our team AT ALL during these playoffs. We were better last year. Coach is finished with this group imo.

Talent Analyst

Dec 24, 2005
100th years
I would like something like this.

UFA/Trade-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Pacioretty-Plekanek-UFA/Trade
Andrighetto-Eller-DSP
Prust-Mitchell-Weise
Thomas/Dumont

Markov-Subban
Beaulieu-Petry
Tinordi-Gilbert
Pateryn

One UFA/Trade could be Martin St-Louis. He will be great with the team while we are waiting for Scherbak to develop in the AHL.

So,

Emelin traded;
Petry signed;
DD traded;
PAP buyed out.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
did someone here followed Chicago this year? what happened to Sharp? is there a reason his stats are this bad compared to his usual stats?

- Lost 1st line LW job to Saad
- Struggled badly first half of year
- Got injured
- Lost #2 LW job to Versteeg who had strong 1st half and Sharp injury opened door for Steeger/Richards/Kane line (Which played well until Kane injury)

Sharp finished year playing better and has been good in playoffs. So hopefully he keeps it up and Hawks find way to win another cup

jwrocks1

Mar 28, 2015
With all his alledged off-ice antics, I would not touch Sharp even with a ten foot pole.

Fair enough. I like Sharp, but we would then have to find a way to dump PAP because he just shouldn't be on this roster. Perhaps we could target Sharp and get Toronto to take PAP if we pulled off the JVR trade I proposed. Either way, I feel we need two big offensive splashes, even if I'd like to see what Scherbak might do.

This is why I want to go out and get players like Higgins. Put him with Plek and role them as a defensive line while alleviating Eller of that duty. We simply need more quality depth instead of quantity, which is what Bergevin ended up getting at the deadline.

I agree that we need a real and tangible upgrade in our top 6. I also agree that moving DD and PAP will help.

I believe the JVR trade you posted would help us, I don't feel taranna would want to move him to us, mostly because they are poorly managed, seeing as how that is a trade that helps them in the long run.

I'd also love to see Plek and Eller as centres a a platton of 2nd lines 2A/2B style. If we were to make the two big spashes for top 6 wingers, this would be doable with our current assets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad