OFF DAY THREAD! Where we complain on non game days!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I do not think the roster we have is a slam dunk Cup contender, but equally I do not believe for a split second that the roster we have isn't good enough to be one. To me, I see the maximum potential all in system related areas.

The roster has everything you need to get to the playoffs where anything can happen. The issue is the coach and star players. I won't blame guys like Erod for being asked to do things they cant do.

I dont know if its Sully or Crosby calling the shots, but the top six mix is just horrible.

Reactions: ColePens

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Does anyone think the results would have changed with DeSmith in?

I don’t and that’s not absolving Jarry either. He needs to be better.
Yes. If Desmith starts last game they very likely win. Jarry gave up 3 goals in the first 12 minutes.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Our top-6, on paper, should be able to compete with anyone in the league. In reality? Sid and Geno look well into their decline. Jake and Rust are playing abysmal hockey on both sides of the puck. E-Rod's AHL fodder being asked to fill in temporarily for a guy we don't even know will work as a top-6 player even though we paid for one. Letang's been awful. Dumo's been awful. Marino's been up and down. Petts has probably been the most steady of the blueliners, and that's a problem because he's a bottom pairing guy. Ceci's dogshit on a Jack Johnson level. Matheson's a mess, and while he's shown little flashes of potential, they're few and far between amidst an ocean of f***ups. Jarry's game collapsed after the first 20 minutes of the season, and our backup plan is some AHL nothingmancer.

I mean, yeah, there are some nice names to look at on a depth chart, but they're sprinkled around a roster full of issues, and the product on the ice is a shitshow. That's on coaching as well as the players themselves. Sid and Geno didn't suddenly become average at best overnight. Jake and Rust are not nearly as bad as the performances they've shown in the past 10 games or so. Letang certainly has the ability to continue to make a positive impact. Jarry's not as bad as the miserable showing he's had thus far.

But at what point do you say "Yeah, this thing's f***ed. We gotta do something drastic to either kickstart a mini-rebuild or go all out sell mode." I can't imagine this FO or coach will be in charge by the start of next season, whenever that may be. I'd be surprised if Sully made it through Valentine's Day at this rate. This isn't a "it's been two games" thing. This is a "this team's been circling the drain since the Caps series, ultimately ending the regular season last year limping into the playoffs and getting trounced by the Habs, and have started this season right where they left off" thing.

Reactions: Darren McCord

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
I admit that as much as it seems like I've thrown in the towel on these guys every logical part of my brain is screaming that it just isn't possible for them to have gotten this shitty this fast.

Exactly how I feel!!

I look at the roster and I think “Ok, they’re not THAT bad.” Then I watch them. And it’s like “Dude......how?”

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
You mean a 13F.

Sheesh. This might be the most ridiculous stat through these first two games.

HFB Pittsburgh: "Stop....You had us at 13F. We can't take it anymore.."

giphy.gif

Reactions: ncm7772

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Is Geno injured? It would make sense considering how bad he's looked so far.

Isn't that his default state?

But yeah to be serious I wouldn't be shocked at all if it's eventually revealed that this latest injury and subsequent surgery from last year really f***ed him proper.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
CDS having a good start to the season is huge. He was a big question mark and compounds the issue with Jarry not having a ton of games under his belt.

Really hope Kapanen can provide a jolt to the top 6.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

But yeah to be serious I wouldn't be shocked at all if it's eventually revealed that this latest injury and subsequent surgery from last year really f***ed him proper.

Put him on IR and ERod to centre, problem solved

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

He has what is known as "Sidney Crosby-itis" Where it is best known as "big brother" syndrome, or in this case, "better little brother" syndrome.

Short and sweet: Sulking. You know damn well Sid is out injured Geno perks up and becomes a demon.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yes. If Desmith starts last game they very likely win. Jarry gave up 3 goals in the first 12 minutes.

1) Goal#1: Backdoor PP... DeSmith saves that puck?

2) Goal#2: Kick in front ... DeSmith saves that!??!?

3) Goal#3: Go watch this goal. Talk about duplication? Talk about 4 guys standing in a box in front of our net covering 2 guys. That's duplication. Those guys are covered. They don't need dual coverage. Then the 2 open guys get TOP OF THE CIRCLE pointblank chances. I encourage everyone to watch this play. This shows you how poor our communication is. It shows you duplication in coverage. It shows you schematic breakdown.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
People constantly suggest swapping Jake and Zucker, and while I'm fine with that because both wingers are great with both centers, I can't imagine what would improve putting two of the worst struggling forwards on Geno's wings. Jake's been awful since the Habs series, on both sides of the puck. A complete non-factor offensively and just completely clueless and lost defensively. Like Kessel-bad defensively. Rust looks like the 4th line grinder that broke into the league during the back to back Cup runs, and again, if you swapped his jersey with E-Rod's, I'd never know the difference. He's looked that out of place through two games.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012

3) Goal#3: Go watch this goal. Talk about duplication? Talk about 4 guys standing in a box in front of our net covering 2 guys. That's duplication. Those guys are covered. They don't need dual coverage. Then the 2 open guys get TOP OF THE CIRCLE pointblank chances. I encourage everyone to watch this play. This shows you how poor our communication is. It shows you duplication in coverage. It shows you schematic breakdown.

1st goal goalie had almost no chance.

2nd one the kick couldn't be stopped from Jarry's spot on the ice, but he had already let the puck through him and spun out of position. I don't think its unreasonable to think another goalie could have prevented the puck from laying uncovered in the crease.

I agree the 3rd was terrible defense, but it's not an unstoppable shot.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Get Lafferty in the top 6 somewhere. He skates like ERod, is about as good with the puck but is also big & physical.

Not sure why they’re using Rodrigues for face offs either, with a career 44% record he’s no center. Even as a rookie Lafferty was at 49% and he took a lot.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh

As already mentioned, no reason for Jarr's pad to be off the ice for a stuff attempt, which is how the puck squeezed through him in the first place on what would've been a fairly routine save. The initial play wasn't all that dissimilar to the Farabee goal in game 1.

The team has been ass, but the goaltending we've gotten so far has compounded that problem instead of masking it. Which...I guess in a sense is....good?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
People constantly suggest swapping Jake and Zucker, and while I'm fine with that because both wingers are great with both centers, I can't imagine what would improve putting two of the worst struggling forwards on Geno's wings. Jake's been awful since the Habs series, on both sides of the puck. A complete non-factor offensively and just completely clueless and lost defensively. Like Kessel-bad defensively. Rust looks like the 4th line grinder that broke into the league during the back to back Cup runs, and again, if you swapped his jersey with E-Rod's, I'd never know the difference. He's looked that out of place through two games.

I think Jake's still worried about his shoulder. When he's on, he's around the net constantly and battling for the puck/for time and space in scoring areas. How he's played since returning looks more like Phil Kessel trying to preserve his iron man streak and staying away from contact as much as humanly possible.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015

Id still rather consolidate the trash then. Let Zucker and Sid work out the first line troubles.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea

Dear God, goal #3 is abysmal, even by this season's standards. Is "Sceviour" French for "tunnel vision/lack of situational awareness"? Somewhere, Matt Cullen vomits.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Id still rather consolidate the trash then. Let Zucker and Sid work out the first line troubles.
You've still got the E-Rod issue. I don't know if there's a right answer at the moment, to be honest. Hold on, hope Kap comes in and kills it. If he doesn't, we're in serious trouble.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
@SEALBound

what does where st louis was in december and winning a cup have to do with the penguins?

I don't get it

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Dear God, goal #3 is abysmal, even by this season's standards. Is "Sceviour" French for "tunnel vision/lack of situational awareness"? Somewhere, Matt Cullen vomits.
It’s French for cap dump. He really doesn’t fall within the we got younger narrative. If Zito hadn’t suckered JR into taking him, they’d only have like $800k in cap space right now.

I will never know why we agreed to take a $1.2 AAV fourth line, soon to be 32 year old, dime a dozen forth liner heading into THIS season. Certainly, that cap space would be better served elsewhere.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad