OFF DAY THREAD! Where we complain on non game days!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
I did not drag myself out of my nice comfy bed to get my Sunday things done early for the Pens to take a shit in it, but they're trying it.

Reactions: domaug

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
there's no GDT so i'll complain in here.

seems like the Pens' defense is just chugging along, going through the motions. it's like they're all wearing ankle weights or don't want to be there at all. the Caps are making a lot of mistakes but they're forcing the issue a lot more than the Pens have.

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
A WIN!!
tenor (16).gif

Reactions: Zirakzigil

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Ok, here's what I see.
First, I have never seen so many unforced errors through 2 & 1/2 games in my life. And when I say unforced, I mean zero pressure. As I'm watching the 2nd period of the Caps game, the 4 on 3 power play where BOTH Crosby and Guentzel took absolutely foolish, lazy, unnecessary and stupid penalties go back and look at how the Caps got control and forced the faceoff in Pittsburgh's zone. Tanev and Blueger had a great start and Dumoulin comes into the offensive zone as the only defenseman for whatever reason. The pass comes to him, right to his stick, he's barely moving and he takes a stride as he somehow loses the puck while doing something so basic as stickhandling and as it glides further from his stick he reaches out I suppose to make a pass only he passes it to open ice while still barely moving as 2 Caps speed right by him picking up his pass for a 2 on 1.

The exact same thing he did on the Caps first or second goal (don't remember which). Doumoulin turned the puck over while caught deep in the offensive zone because he let a simple pass simply roll off his stick and a 2 on 1 became a goal (watch what Dumboulin does exactly 2 minutes into the 3rd period for another perfect PERFECT example of what I'm talking about). And I am not saying this is only him.

This is 75%of the team making this kind of mistake. Can't control a simple pass or the puck slides off the stick while stickhandling. Watch the first 2 periods of the Caps game and watch how many easy, basic fundamental things individual players screw up...missed passes under no pressure is part of this. And in this game, Crosby and Letang are leading that charge.

Speaking of which, Malkin gets easy criticism from the same portion of fans that would never criticize Sid and a part of this is the biggest problem (which is coaching but more in a second) but Sid and Jake have been pretty unspectacular too. Yet because Sid has 2 goals he is overlooked for his 5 on 5 play which isn't as non existent as Geno's but only because Geno has been non existent all around. Sid's line has made some noticeable bad plays.

But here's the thing. I've said it for 2 years now. This team is done with Sullivan. He's so overrated by the Pittsburgh media and he gets more and more exposed the longer he stays. Mainly because everyone knows how to play against his system and he can't adjust (or won't).

Our top 2 lines aren't working and everyone here knows the solution but Sullivan won't do it and Sid is really being selfish here because he is making this call but Zucker/Geno has NEVER shown chemistry while Sid/Zucker has. Meanwhile Jake/Geno/Rust was arguably the most dominant line in the league last year. Simple call. I get that Sid is Sid and he should have some input but this is as obvious as when he wouldn't play with Iginla forcing Jerome to play off wing on the 3rd line ridiculous.

Game one against the Flyers a 6-3 loss. You know which of our star forwards led the team in ice time?

You guessed it.
Frank Stallone

frankstallone560.jpg

Oh wait, wrong thread.
No, Sullivan played an equally ineffective EVAN RODRIGUES more than any other forward in a game lost by 3 goals.
Conversely, through 3 games I think we'd all agree that our 3rd line has FAR AND AWAY been our best line, most consistent line, mistake free line, dangerous line, productive line, energetic and fast line, shown the most chemistry and passion and our best defensive line.
Guess which line Sullivan is playing the least 5 on 5?
I mean those 3 guys on the 3rd line are playing great together but can't crack 13 minutes while E-Rod plays almost 19 in game 1. You want advanced stats? Look at our 3rd lines numbers through 2 games. Sample size, sure...but with everyone having this line as the biggest question mark before the season I feel much better about that answer as I see the tools, will and chemistry is there.

Why hasn't Blueger seemed like he's done any work on faceoffs in the off-season unless he worked really hard on better ways to lose even more. Why is Sullivan constantly having him take defensive draws then?

I don't understand the fascination with Lafferty either. He hasn't been close to looking like an NHL player since his first stint up last season unless you count his 2 assists on picture perfect passes to players right in front of the crease setting up slam dunk goals...for Montréal in game 4 of the playoffs and today for Washington.

Jarry's been awful.

Letang, has been historically bad. In fact the only defenseman who hasn't been bad is Juice and Sullivan won't really play him.

Still only 3 games in but a lot of these things unfortunately seem like they are more "giving up on the coach" type things and despite being something like 4-13 in their past 17 games (seriously, think about that) GMJR won't fire Sullivan.

Oh well, at least I got to use the Frank Stallone picture

Last edited:

BHD

Here comes Skinner
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Finally put up the Pens wall calendar that my friend got me for Christmas. And you'll never guess, but it includes Johnson AND Aston-Reese.

there's no GDT so i'll complain in here.

seems like the Pens' defense is just chugging along, going through the motions. it's like they're all wearing ankle weights or don't want to be there at all. the Caps are making a lot of mistakes but they're forcing the issue a lot more than the Pens have.

Each skater appears to have a different level of focus when it comes to the defensive zone. I'm just going to go with the assumption that they're done with his system and are, indeed, going through the motions.

Reactions: domaug

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Ok, here's what I see.
i was starting to think that sully was finally getting over his massive stubborn streak and play riiky only to find out it was because of an injury and nothing had changed. :confused: so i am left with only one solution and that's to fire sully and hire stardog to be the new head coach.:yo:

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
i was starting to think that sully was finally getting over his massive stubborn streak and play riiky only to find out it was because of an injury and nothing had changed. :confused: so i am left with only one solution and that's to fire sully and hire stardog to be the new head coach.:yo:
Frank Stallone night hosted by Norm MacDonald here we come. My teams might suck but they'd damn sure never be predictable boys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad