OFF DAY THREAD! Where we complain on non game days!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
The last thread got closed before I could respond, but I for the life of me can't understand how people are trying to go light on Jarry for how he has played. The dude literally has a .333 save% on high danger chances right now, that's comically bad. The Penguins are in the middle of the pack so far this year in terms of HDCA/60, people are only noticing them right now because Jarry's literally not stopping any of them.

After all of the crap Murray got here for years, I have no clue why people are trying to coddle Jarry right now. The Penguins are playing worse defensively this year than they did last year, but it has gone from "elite" to "mediocre" in terms of giving up dangerous chances. Frankly, it's not even that much worse either, they were at They're getting burned much worse right now because their goalie literally can't make a save on any dangerous chance.
Because it’s been 2 games?

Reactions: heysmilinstrange

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
We are 3-14 in the last 17 games under Sully lol

Go check out Jarry’s stats over that period.

I agree that Sullivan needs to be fired, but not questioning Jarry at this point is definitely foolish. That being said Desmith looked better than I anticipated last night and as per usual this PIT team only needs average goaltending to win.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I mean... Jarry has played like dooks for something like 20+ games. I don't think it's controversial to say that he must be better.

There has been an awful lot of confidence put in this guy from the franchise.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I really wonder what the perception of the Penguins as a team defensively would be right now if Jarry was capable of making a stop on those chances.

You can not believe the analytics, I'm not trying to say they're right or wrong. But right now, the Penguins currently have an xGA/60 of 1.66 at 5v5. Their actual GA/60 is 4.5. You notice the flaws with their defense because they keep leading to goals against, but are you noticing the defensive breakdowns because they're happening a ton or because Jarry's not capable of stopping any of them? Analytics suggest the 2nd is more true than the 1st.

Id say both are true.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Jarry has been bad but our team D has been horrorawful . No one really gets a pass mark at all except L3, Pettersson and DeSmith.
It really hasn't at all, there have been a couple breakdowns, but the Flyers had 19 shots yesterday. The issue is that Jarry starts swimming whenever the puck gets near the blue paint.

The guy let in a quarter of his shots game 1, then followed it up by allowing half of them yesterday, yet people still defend his performance. It really seems like a religious devotion to certain goalies, if you can't bring yourself to pin the blame on Jarry thus far.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think Jarry was fine/good through a period and a half in the first game then the dam broke and he just unraveled. Obviously having a bit of trouble getting his confidence back, as evidenced by his start last night and subsequent replacement.

Basically everybody on the team sucks shit right now outside of the 3rd line and Zucker, and on the blueline it's Petts and Marino. Dumo's been awful. Letang's been awful. The new guys have been awful and while I'm glad Ceci was scratched, he'll be back before we run a Riikola-Ruhwedel bottom pairing--which is the right answer.

For the record, JR and Sullivan both should've been fired into the sun years ago. After the Isles series is when I'd have done it, and it absolutely should've happened after the Habs series.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
"what are Jarry's stats if you take out the games he has been atrocious?" :laugh:

But even if you take them out, he's only at a .903 save% since January 1st 2020.
Sounds like I’m making excuses but I really couldn’t care less who’s in goal. I’m happy for DeSmith. :laugh:

Why I asked is because I really think Jarry was playing well against Montreal from what I remember.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
It really hasn't at all, there have been a couple breakdowns, but the Flyers had 19 shots yesterday. The issue is that Jarry starts swimming whenever the puck gets near the blue paint.

The guy let in a quarter of his shots game 1, then followed it up by allowing half of them yesterday, yet people still defend his performance. It really seems like a religious devotion to certain goalies, if you can't bring yourself to pin the blame on Jarry thus far.

I mean I literally said Jarry has been bad

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
How anyone can look at goaltending and blame them after watching that defense the last 2-3 years is beyond me. I mean absolutely beyond me. You can't just keep saying "Damn! GOALIE X needs to make that save!" Look around and see what else is happening.

Just SOME of the defensive issues:
- Communication (we have even numbers but don't communicate who to pick up)
- Duplication (sometimes 2 guys go to the same guy and leave the other wide open)
- Supporting (a player makes a defensive play but it is not layered by the team playing team defense)
- Neutral zone support
- Defensive zone support
- f***ing taking the stick in front of the net.

The perfect example is in Game 1. Two separate examples:
1) Matheson is standing in front of the net while we have even numbers and doesn't go to the guy who walks from the goalline to the front of the net and just slides the puck in. Why is he not touched? We had even numbers?

2) Marino (or someone) pinches in the o-zone. Sid supports. Sid loses his support because HE, TOO pinches. Odd man the opposite way. We had the right numbers. Bad execution.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I mean... Jarry has played like dooks for something like 20+ games. I don't think it's controversial to say that he must be better.

There has been an awful lot of confidence put in this guy from the franchise.

The thing that sucks is that the Penguins really didn't have any alternatives due to a flat cap. They couldn't really afford to keep Murray, so he had to get traded. They couldn't really afford a veteran backup because the only legitimate upgrade on DeSmith who was in their price range was Lundqvist, who had to retire anyway. You couldn't convince guys like Talbot or Greiss to take a 1B spot to Jarry over being starters for Minnesota and Detroit, even if you could afford them.

I can't even fault JR if goaltending ends up blowing up this year because he really didn't have any legitimate alternatives due to a stagnant cap.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
I think Jarry was fine/good through a period and a half in the first game then the dam broke and he just unraveled. Obviously having a bit of trouble getting his confidence back, as evidenced by his start last night and subsequent replacement.

Basically everybody on the team sucks shit right now outside of the 3rd line and Zucker, and on the blueline it's Petts and Marino. Dumo's been awful. Letang's been awful. The new guys have been awful and while I'm glad Ceci was scratched, he'll be back before we run a Riikola-Ruhwedel bottom pairing--which is the right answer.

For the record, JR and Sullivan both should've been fired into the sun years ago. After the Isles series is when I'd have done it, and it absolutely should've happened after the Habs series.

Jarry has done exactly what Murray did last year. Goals that crush momentum in the last minute of the period or getting lit up immediately.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
How anyone can look at goaltending and blame them after watching that defense the last 2-3 years is beyond me. I mean absolutely beyond me. You can't just keep saying "Damn! GOALIE X needs to make that save!" Look around and see what else is happening.

You can believe the defense is terrible and has been for years if you want to, because analytics aren't gospel. But the analytics say that this is completely false. The Penguins were a top-5 team defensively according to their analytics last year. Even with the defensive breakdowns this year, they're still top-10 analytically on the year.

If a goalie faces 10 breakaways in a row, he should be able to stop 6 or 7 of them. If he only stops 3 of them, he's doing a shitty job, even if the goals against weren't his fault or were due to defensive breakdowns. He may not be individually responsible for any of the goals against, but an average NHL goalie would stop 6 or 7 of those chances.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
You can believe the defense is terrible and has been for years if you want to, because analytics aren't gospel. But the analytics say that this is completely false.

The Penguins were a top-5 team defensively according to their analytics last year. Even with the defensive breakdowns this year, they're still top-10 analytically on the year.

So you think what you saw in that Montreal and Isles series was top 5 defense? You, personally, think what you saw in Games 1/2 here are top 5 defense?

Just answer those questions directly. I am sure the answer cannot be yes.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA

Just SOME of the defensive issues:
- Communication (we have even numbers but don't communicate who to pick up)
- Duplication (sometimes 2 guys go to the same guy and leave the other wide open)
- Supporting (a player makes a defensive play but it is not layered by the team playing team defense)
- Neutral zone support
- Defensive zone support
- f***ing taking the stick in front of the net.

The perfect example is in Game 1. Two separate examples:
1) Matheson is standing in front of the net while we have even numbers and doesn't go to the guy who walks from the goalline to the front of the net and just slides the puck in. Why is he not touched? We had even numbers?

2) Marino (or someone) pinches in the o-zone. Sid supports. Sid loses his support because HE, TOO pinches. Odd man the opposite way. We had the right numbers. Bad execution.

Every shot that should go in on this team the last 2-3 years does. I get that defensive assignments are frequently a mess especially from the forward perspective, but people feel fine hanging Letang out to dry when he is on the ice for 5 against. Jarry’s let up 8 in his last two. No team is going to win that way.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I still think Jarry was the right choice between he and Murray. They're basically the same tier of goalie. Jarry just plays the puck much better than Murray, and Murray desperately needed a change of scenery.

You keep Murray and the issues in his head continue to plague him and he continues to be the guy people not-so-lovingly dubbed Murr4y or Murr5y. Everyone knew Jarry might stumble, but it's been two games and this team's defensive play--both from blueliners as well as forwards--has been absolutely unforgivable. Jake alone is responsible for three goals scored by his assignment through two games. Putrid effort by the forwards coming back and helping out, or tracking guys, or backchecking after a turnover, etc. Absolutely pathetic.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Does anyone think the results would have changed with DeSmith in?

I don’t and that’s not absolving Jarry either. He needs to be better.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
I still think Jarry was the right choice between he and Murray. They're basically the same tier of goalie. Jarry just plays the puck much better than Murray, and Murray desperately needed a change of scenery.

You keep Murray and the issues in his head continue to plague him and he continues to be the guy people not-so-lovingly dubbed Murr4y or Murr5y. Everyone knew Jarry might stumble, but it's been two games and this team's defensive play--both from blueliners as well as forwards--has been absolutely unforgivable. Jake alone is responsible for three goals scored by his assignment through two games. Putrid effort by the forwards coming back and helping out, or tracking guys, or backchecking after a turnover, etc. Absolutely pathetic.

Anyone saying Jarry wasn’t the right choice is foolish. And the only goaltenders that would’ve made a good platoon with him got term and cash outside of Holtby. So yeah.

I just think it’s funny people rush to defend him when he basically is Matt Murray without the cups and pedigree. Dude has a couple good months and people were legitimately saying he had a chance of being better than Fleury and Murray in the Pens pantheon of goalie’s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad