Celebrity Death: RIP John Amos, 84

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I remember him best from Good Times, Roots, Coming to America and Die Hard 2.

It's been a rough week if you grew up in the 70s and 80s... or rough month, if you go back to James Earl Jones' passing.

Last edited:

the squared circle

Aug 3, 2005
Maple Leaf Gardens
Lived a long life, but still sad. Absolutely loved Good Times since I was knee-high watching it in the 70s, and still watch it to this day.
He was also the weatherman in the Mary Tyler Moore show, and played a tough jail guard ("never f**k with Meisner) in Lock Up.
RIP

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Oh man at first I thought this said John Stamos.

Either way, RIP. The scene after his funeral where Florida puts on a strong face for all the visitors, and then breaks down after they all leave and she's alone. Damn that was some great TV acting of that era.

Reactions: MikeyMike01

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
Heard him a few years back on Gilbert Gottfried's podcast, he was hilarious and you could tell that he was a genuinely good guy. Loved his main roles like Good Times and Coming To America etc. and I also liked him in a cheesy move Sheena.

RIP. Truly an icon

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Wow. I assumed that the family chose to grieve privately before making it publicly. That's fairly common, though usually it's only for a few days, not 6 weeks. I just thought that they were really devastated. It's shocking that they didn't even know.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Wow. I assumed that the family chose to grieve privately before making it publicly. That's fairly common, though usually it's only for a few days, not 6 weeks. I just thought that they were really devastated. It's shocking that they didn't even know.

I am confused--it was announced back in August he had past away

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Are you not able to see the tweet above? It contains a letter from the family that says that they learned of his passing only yesterday from media reports, along with the rest of us.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreChamps
Jul 13, 2013
The elder abuse family stuff drama was going on for ages, lots of family bickering. I don't think anything nefarious happened with his passing, he was old and had heart problems for years. Getting Casey Kasem vibes from this family.

It was actually only announced yesterday, presumably the son handled everything quietly to get a head start on settling the will/inheritance.

Wikipedia: Amos died of congestive heart failure in Los Angeles on August 21, 2024, at the age of 84.[30] His death was not announced until October 1, 2024

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
The elder abuse family stuff drama was going on for ages, lots of family bickering. I don't think anything nefarious happened with his passing, he was old and had heart problems for years. Getting Casey Kasem vibes from this family.

It was actually only announced yesterday, presumably the son handled everything quietly to get a head start on settling the will/inheritance.

This is friggen nuts. I could have sworn is came out in August

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad