Value of: Nylander (Trade)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
He won't be traded, unless it's for a severe overpayment, why would they?

If I had to estimate his value, it would be a proven #1D man plus a top 15 first round pick

Personally, I'd rather have Nylander as opposed to marner or Matthews

Just throwing a silly offer out there, how about askarov + Nashville's 2024 first round pick....even then I think Nashville needs to add something small
You should stop trying to estimate the value of players. Zero chance Nylander pulls that especially with the AAV he is apparently looking for.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
A lot of people seem to underrate Nylander just because they hate the Leafs.
Not really. People rate him as a really good scoring winger that is paid 10 million. That makes him a good player but the AAV cripples his value in a trade. Position doesn't help his value either. (obviously that is not his AAV now but it seems to be what he is expecting.)

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
willie is very very good . Looking at the leafs projected lines for next season what they don’t have on D is a player like Adam Pelech . While this would cripple the Isles on D , is this a player the leafs would like to have ? if no this is done, if yes would Willie be offered in a trade trade with some throw ins for salary purposes? Sometimes you have to fill a need and not just look at the stat sheet . Fire away BOOM.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
If nylander is traded he’s likely going to return less than leaf fans want.

it’s a tough trade, in terms of a team giving up value for him due to how much money he wants.

I’m sure Anaheim would kick tires, but I don’t see us moving carlsson, Mintyukov, drysdale, zegras terry or mctavish.

We could move our 1st, but we’d want protection on that.

Last edited:

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022

it’s a tough trade, in terms of a team giving up value for him due to how much money he wants.

I’m sure Anaheim would kick tires, but I don’t see us moving carlsson, Mintyukov, drysdale, zegras terry or mctavish.

It's probably the opposite. If Nylander is traded they'll get flowing hair, sublime zone entries, 70 points, double flamingo shot blocking, some skill on the PP, and the odd takeaway. After 4 years of this a fan of said NHL team will say: "I wish we never gave up the assets for him. He sort of leaves you wanting more." He does not hit, take faceoffs, kill penalties, throw checks in all three zones, puck retrieve, etc.

I'm not exactly sure what Nylander gets TOR in a trade. He's always been a leaf. He had a career year last season and he doesn't cost much. A return for him could be bigger than you think.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
It's probably the opposite. If Nylander is traded they'll get flowing hair, sublime zone entries, 70 points, double flamingo shot blocking, some skill on the PP, and the odd takeaway. After 4 years of this a fan of said NHL team will say: "I wish we never gave up the assets for him. He sort of leaves you wanting more." He does not hit, take faceoffs, kill penalties, throw checks in all three zones, puck retrieve, etc.

I'm not exactly sure what Nylander gets TOR in a trade. He's always been a leaf. He had a career year last season and he doesn't cost much. A return for him could be bigger than you think.
"Double flamingo shot blocking"... epic post. :thumbu:

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Problem is with only 1 year left he only makes sense to contenders and none of them have cap space.

Rebuilding teams will wait and hope he hits free agency of give offer of futures (but not any top prospects).

Could see
Roster player + 1st (protected) + 2nd + mid tier prospect

Reactions: PainForShane

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Problem is with only 1 year left he only makes sense to contenders and none of them have cap space.

Rebuilding teams will wait and hope he hits free agency of give offer of futures (but not any top prospects).

Could see
1 team left?

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
He literally scored 40 this past season . His value would be very high , especially given his 6.9 cap hit for the coming season . I think he ends up signing in Toronto for low 9s
I get that, but that's the 1st time that WN scored 40. AD is younger, scored 40 twice (and paced for it another time during pandemic season), and signed a very reasonable 4 year deal x 7.8M. And he got a suspect and a top 10 protected 1st round DP.

Like I said - I like WN, but there are some RIDICULOUS asks in this thread for him 1 year before he gets UFA.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Teams also end up getting stuck with his agent and to a lesserr extent his dad's influence. That also reduces his value.
It's quite common now for the parameters of a new trade to be worked out before the trade. If Nylander is insistent on becoming a FA, his value goes way down. If he wants to be paid 10+M for multiple years, it lessens his value somewhat, and the amount of teams that are able to take him on. If he will re-sign for 9M(8.5M, really)or less, he is worth a significant amount.... two firsts, first five protected, something like that.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
willie is very very good . Looking at the leafs projected lines for next season what they don’t have on D is a player like Adam Pelech . While this would cripple the Isles on D , is this a player the leafs would like to have ? if no this is done, if yes would Willie be offered in a trade trade with some throw ins for salary purposes? Sometimes you have to fill a need and not just look at the stat sheet . Fire away BOOM.
I’d do that. With the bertuzzi / Knies / domi extension it allows them to explore the d a bit more.

ToasterStutzle

Aug 10, 2010
Manitoba, Canada
Was he on the record saying "If nobody else takes a paycut, why should I" or was that just assumption?

If he was on the record saying that, he's as good as gone IMO. It's too bad he's expired before Marner because all he probably comes in cheaper and I points aside I think he's a heavier player to play against.

Reactions: PainForShane

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
You should stop trying to estimate the value of players. Zero chance Nylander pulls that especially with the AAV he is apparently looking for.

If the rumors are true he is willing to sign a fair contract, just not if everyone else on the team is emptying the vault in front of him....

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
As a Ducks fan I'm torn regarding WN. I've liked him as a player for years but I just do t really see him at a 10+ million player. Then I look at the argument of "is there a 4 mill hap between him and AM or MM?" I struggle with saying yes. At the end of the day though I go back to those players just being in a higher teir of player. They're not just PPG players they are 100 pt players. Nylander is unlikely to produce more away from Toronto so he should be expected to be a 70+ point player. Hard for any team to justify 10 mill and even 9.5 seems pretty rich given offense is about all he does.

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016

Could see
Clarke is a prospect I could have intrest in, be cool to have a Domi and Clarke playing for the Leafs again.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

The Management

Jun 8, 2009

Yeah, I think if he's moved, it's a dollar for three quarters kind of deal. We'd probably lose in terms of value, but would ideally pick up several useful assets in return that could improve other parts of the roster (or pick up some draft capital to use later).

Cap space, or cap flexibility, would be the only reason for trading Nylander, and I would expect the return to reflect that (as in, I don't think he's used to chase a guy like Brett Pesce, who will soon command a raise). It's a real tough trade to get right.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Clarke is a prospect I could have intrest in, be cool to have a Domi and Clarke playing for the Leafs again.
Not a kings fan but I assure the kings wouldn’t trade Clarke for nylander in his situation

Yeah, I think if he's moved, it's a dollar for three quarters kind of deal. We'd probably lose in terms of value, but would ideally pick up several useful assets in return that could improve other parts of the roster (or pick up some draft capital to use later).

Cap space, or cap flexibility, would be the only reason for trading Nylander, and I would expect the return to reflect that (as in, I don't think he's used to chase a guy like Brett Pesce, who will soon command a raise). It's a real tough trade to get right.

Yea I think the leafs can find a trade that sets them up for deadline moves/moves next year in terms of cap flexibility.

It won’t be the prettiest trade on paper, but I think long term impact could help leafs take that next step

Reactions: The Management

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005

Then u don't get Nylander
U don't aquire a top line player for scraps

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad