Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Zdeno Chara signs with the New York Islanders (1 year, $750k + $750k bonuses)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
The guy is a horse, but it is poetic that he resigns with the team that drafted him and let him go because he was awful with them. Now he returns, as a shell of himself from his peak years.

Kahvi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
The guy is a horse, but it is poetic that he resigns with the team that drafted him and let him go because he was awful with them. Now he returns, as a shell of himself from his peak years.

Will be interesting to see if his next season is his best as an Islander. 10 points and (almost) positive +/- shoud do it

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Why are islander fans happy about z signing for the only team that offered him a contract. Even boston would rather have forbort as a ld.
Wait wait their son, the NYI were not the only team interested...quite the opposite.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
The contract is probably a million or less. Hard to argue with it being a bad signing. Leadership alone is valuable.

Reactions: PROMputt

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Lmao do you think he’s simply going to say “NYI was the only team that wanted me”?

Did the isles chances suddenly increase at the end of the summer? Or do you think it could be possible that he waited for other offers and nothing came?

Anyways, I’m not going to bother arguing with an isles fan about whether a 60 year old player chose NYI as their top FA destination, I’ll let you enjoy this signing :)
You look like a Leafs Fan, based on your post history. You thought Foligno was going to be a great deal for the Leafs, so I think your ability to judge players may be not great ROFLMAO

The Leafs literally employed multiple old AF players to league min over the past couple of years. Some of them worked out pretty decently

Chara is going to play sheltered minutes and on the PK. Plus the veteran leadership he brings and yet another deterrent to f***ing around with the Isles players

I know even thinking about having players with the ability to hit someone and play defense makes Dubas and Leafs fans break out in hives, so why don’t you go enjoy your new “defense is that thing you put up along your property line, right?” Player in Gusev

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Good signing, Islanders. I wanted Chara for the Blues. Salut!
I agree, he would have looked good on a number of teams. Some guys defy their age. Chelios played a key role at aged 46 in Detroit winning the cup in 07-08. Chara was never fast to begin with, but he has survived on his smarts, ability to take care of himself, and that long reach that players still have difficulty with. I love this signing. He brings massive intangibles also, The Isles system will insulate him also. If Brady can win a Superbowl at 44, and Chelios a cup at 46. Why not Zdeno?

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I never got Boston not keeping him around. I get that he isn't what he once was, but the guy will work for cheap, is a great leader...surely he can be a bottom pairing Dman?

Boston wanted him to stay, but just wanted him play less minutes so he didn't burn out. He decided to leave Boston for greener pastures and (surprise surprise) looked burned out in the playoff series vs Boston.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Hypothetically, if he plays with Scott Mayfield will that be the tallest combined d-pairing ever in the NHL?

Reactions: PWJunior

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Hypothetically, if he plays with Scott Mayfield will that be the tallest combined d-pairing ever in the NHL?
I am curious if the Islanders might start giving Pelech and Pulock more time to take some stress of Greene and Chara. I also am guessing we probably will employ a 4F-1D PP for both units

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012

I don’t see them together unless it’s penalty kill situations. We need a puck carrier for the second pair. It only works if Dobson gets a shot and can handle it . The big banana can play with Greene for 10 - 15 minutes per game.

Pel - Pul
Mayfield - Dobson
Chara - Greene

Islanders are building a great Strat-O- Matic roster.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Lou doing great Lou thangs. :clap: Lou is the greatest, stanley cup winning champion manager ever. He the best like khaled knew. Lou will win his THIRD STRAIGHT Jim Gregory award this season. The general manager of the year, third straight time. Almost 80 years old. What a real man who only gets the real :clap:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Boston wanted him to stay, but just wanted him play less minutes so he didn't burn out. He decided to leave Boston for greener pastures and (surprise surprise) looked burned out in the playoff series vs Boston.

I guess as a #6/7 Dman it's not a bad signing but his time has passed.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I guess as a #6/7 Dman it's not a bad signing but his time has passed.

My concern is that when Chara left Boston, Sweeney was quoted saying they wanted to develop younger players and they couldn't give Chara the same role he had before. I don't think a team trying to win now goes that route if Chara is still a quality, top 4 defenseman.

I have seen posts from Caps fans, saying they weren't sad to see the team move on from him, that they don't think he has much left in the tank.

I am hoping he can help buy time (along with Greene), until the trade market loosens up and the isles can add a top 4 D.

Reactions: slurpee addict

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
This is exactly the type of veteran the Islanders need in the locker room.

Forget the on ice stuff, the off ice experience of battling for the cup multiple times will help transfer the desire, and will to teammates.

The Islanders might not win the cup this year, but if they do win one in the next few years, I think they can point back to this signing.

Reactions: Rec T

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
IMO Chara is going to thrive with the Islanders. Biggest issue is his foot speed but that tends to be a bigger issue when someone’s blown their assignment. In a structure where all five guys are contributing to defence, he’s not going to be chasing the play that much. So you’ve got a strong defensive team and you’re adding Chara’s size and strength, who cares if he’s stationary.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
IMO Chara is going to thrive with the Islanders. Biggest issue is his foot speed but that tends to be a bigger issue when someone’s blown their assignment. In a structure where all five guys are contributing to defence, he’s not going to be chasing the play that much. So you’ve got a strong defensive team and you’re adding Chara’s size and strength, who cares if he’s stationary.

thrive might not be the right word but I definitely think him playing in Trotz system + not having to carry the load will maximize whatever he has learned to offer. He’s going to get beat now and then from faster skilled guys. But he’s also going to help defensively on the PK in front of the net and be a big physical presence. His value will be come playoff time.

I like the move. People just have to understand it and put it into context. Chara is not being signed to be a top4 guy. Can never have too much defensive depth and you can certainly do a lot worse than Chara as a bottom pair guy even at his age.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad