Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Zdeno Chara signs with the New York Islanders (1 year, $750k + $750k bonuses)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Nassau Coliseum was known for its low ceiling and deafening volume. Fortunately their new arena has more headroom for Chara to skate with the Cup.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Keeps going and going.
Plant based diet I guess.

Seriously though, cool to see him back on the island.

Good luck big Z

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
It started with this post...

"Islanders would have beat Tampa and won the Cup last year if Lee didn't get injured and they have only gotten stronger this off season. Such a well balanced team playing a perfect system."

Just to remind you.

Thanks. You’re still on a thread about the Islanders signing a part-time player for unknown terms.

The post that this heretic responded to also said Tampa lost players while the NYI were adding them.

That ignores that Leddy played the whole year on the Isles 2nd pair and is now in Detroit , so this isn’t added depth. This is a temporary stop gap to fill a gaping hole in the top six, so it was a uniquely wrong take.

And this is isn’t the Islanders board. I’m not sure why mentioning a specific NHL team when you’re responding to a post that mentions that team is a problem.

The Leafs get discussed 15% of the time on this board no matter what the thread is about. (That’s probably a conservative estimate.)

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site
Wasnt it Chara who wanted to be alife guard, getting a little late for that now

Not really. I've seen some pretty old guards on LI. Both south and up on the north shore beaches. At some of them, Z would be able to walk out into the sound and just pull people out without breaking a sweat. (JK)

Last edited:

slurpee addict

Winter is Coming
Jul 13, 2018
Winnipeg
Why are islander fans happy about z signing for the only team that offered him a contract. Even boston would rather have forbort as a ld.
having watched Forbort last year on the jets, I hope that Boston can give him some pairing support. he's a gamer, but slow as molasses and not really much of a playmaker. Blocks shots and that's about it. Too expensive for so little.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Wait wait their son, the NYI were not the only team interested...quite the opposite.

He wanted to stay on the east coast,close to his family in Boston.

He wasn't happy with his reduced role in Boston and it sounds like the likelihood of a reduced role in Washington played part in his parting with the Caps.

Isles are an east coast team, that has a opening on the second pairing. I think the isles probably told him the spot is up for grabs and Chara has enough pride and confidence to think he can take it. His competition is Greene/Aho/Salo/Bolduc/Gustafsson (sp).

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Not really. I've seen some pretty old guards on LI. Both south and up on the north shore beaches. At some of them, Z would be able to walk out into the sound and just pull people out without breaking a sweat. (JK)

I could totally see him becoming a surfer. (Surfing is soooo big right now it's incredible.)

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014

I remember seeing a short vid of his off season training routine, he was walking or running around in water with some sort of extra resistance, don't remember exactly what it was but he was Poseidon out there.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
yup, 6'9" shutdown DMan who plays full time PK and 3rd pairing D are always welcome...

I really like the chances of NYI next season

Isles need a 2nd pairing LHD. Can the experienced Chara, on a league minimum contract help the team? Yeah, but I think we will see the isles shopping for that second pairing D during the season.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
He wanted to stay on the east coast,close to his family in Boston.

He wasn't happy with his reduced role in Boston and it sounds like the likelihood of a reduced role in Washington played part in his parting with the Caps.

Isles are an east coast team, that has a opening on the second pairing. I think the isles probably told him the spot is up for grabs and Chara has enough pride and confidence to think he can take it. His competition is Greene/Aho/Salo/Bolduc/Gustafsson (sp).
Everything you said is accurate but he had aleast some interest from aleast 2 other east teams apparently

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Everything you said is accurate but he had aleast some interest from aleast 2 other east teams apparently

It sounds like Boston would have kept him a few yrs ago, if he had accepted a reduced role.
So, yeah I could see him drawing interest,but I would be curious to know what role those other two teams have up for grabs.

McDuffz88

HIRE BERUBE!!!
Sep 18, 2019
With this move the NY Islanders average age has to be what 70 right? They better hope they win the cup because when they fall off, it's gonna be a hard fall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad