Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Zdeno Chara signs with the New York Islanders (1 year, $750k + $750k bonuses)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
TB lost their entire third line and think that bits and pieces as replacements is about the same.
Oh no...I guess Hedman kuch stammer point and vasy will have to step it up.

Until you beat us...you haven't.

Our GM has done a great job filling holes.

You are acting like Kuch and Point signed elsewhere.

That line with Colton and Perry is still going to be a pita

Last edited:

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
honest question from the outside looking in, the chara and parise signings havent been announced dollar value wise. Isles are 4.5ish mill over the cap but i dont think that is factoring in boychuks LTIR status (capfriendly). Is the plan to start wahlstrom and dobson in the minors to make the cap work or is the plan to buy more contracts like how hickey was buried to make the cap work. If it is option 2 then which contracts/players are potentially the ones that will be buried?

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
TB lost their entire third line and think that bits and pieces as replacements is about the same.

Our 3rd line is gone yes but our top end players are still around. We just need our 3rd line to come in and be a pain in the ass to play against while also playing responsible d and chip in offensively when top guys arent. That's not too much to ask for.

Will they be as good as the previous 3rd line most likely not but they don't need to be as good as they were. Just need to play their role and not get scored on. Which when you are as deep as we are it is not as huge as an ask as people think. We won a record amount of games without those 3 but we do understand how we need them to play. I think the experience and knowledge of what it takes is super valuable with a team that still has its top players who are top players in the league at their positions. Also since they are new what are the chances they are even better? Probably not huge but what if they are better? It's certainly possible depending on who plays their and their chemistry with each other. We know how we want them to play. Not like we are asking them to produce like our top 6 does.

For us I think we will need to have some luck with injuries to have a chance to repeat again. This team isn't as deep. The thing that does scare me with the new 3rd line compared to old one is old one could play top 6 roles and uncertain if the guys there now could do that for us. If we stay healthy we have just as good as a shot as anybody imo.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
Oh no...I guess Hedman kuch stammer point and vasy will have to step it up.

Until you beat us...you haven't.

Our GM has done a great job filling holes.

You are acting like Kuch and Point signed elsewhere.

That line with Colton and Perry is still going to be a pita
I’d like to remind you that you are on a thread about the Islanders signing a part time seventh defenseman and trying to disparage it without knowing the terms.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Chara is still one of the biggest and toughest presences in hockey. In a limited role, he can be an asset. Great on the PK with his reach, and I know when facing him, I always thought psychologically, that team he was on had the toughest and baddest dude on the ice.

Reactions: Quinby

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
the-circle-is-now-complete.jpg

Reactions: Morrison

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Lmao do you think he’s simply going to say “NYI was the only team that wanted me”?

Did the isles chances suddenly increase at the end of the summer? Or do you think it could be possible that he waited for other offers and nothing came?

Anyways, I’m not going to bother arguing with an isles fan about whether a 60 year old player chose NYI as their top FA destination, I’ll let you enjoy this signing :)
He could have just not mentioned it at all. He has no reason to lie about it.

Glad to know your obsession is still alive and kicking.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Back in the early days of HFBoards, I do remember getting scoffed at, when I suggested he could develop into a player as good as Derian Hatcher. But... I also thought Tim Connolly could be as good as Steve Yzerman.

Win some... lose some :)
To be fair i thought the same of Connolly and i still think he could have been a stud if it hadn't been for all the concussions.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Wow ... you get rid of Ladd and Eberle and free up money for Chara , Palmieri, Sorokin, Parise, Pelech, Cizikas, and Beau.
Well maybe not 100 percent like this but that’s how I’d like to remember it when I’m old. LGI

This is way better than Peter Regin, PM Bouchard , Marty Reasoner, Jay Pandolfo, and Milan Jurcina signings

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Wow ... you get rid of Ladd and Eberle and free up money for Chara , Palmieri, Sorokin, Parise, Pelech, Cizikas, and Beau.
Well maybe not 100 percent like this but that’s how I’d like to remember it when I’m old. LGI

This is way better than Peter Regin, PM Bouchard , Marty Reasoner, Jay Pandolfo, and Milan Jurcina signings

Gone of the days where Jon Sim was the big fish we landed in free agency.

FREE AGENCY UPDATE: Islanders Sign Jonathan Sim

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
I’d like to remind you that you are on a thread about the Islanders signing a part time seventh defenseman and trying to disparage it without knowing the terms.

It started with this post...

"Islanders would have beat Tampa and won the Cup last year if Lee didn't get injured and they have only gotten stronger this off season. Such a well balanced team playing a perfect system."

Just to remind you.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
It started with this post...

"Islanders would have beat Tampa and won the Cup last year if Lee didn't get injured and they have only gotten stronger this off season. Such a well balanced team playing a perfect system."

Just to remind you.
Thanks. You’re still on a thread about the Islanders signing a part-time player for unknown terms.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Caps fan here. Half or your fan base will hate him for being slowest guy ever played the game, other half will love him beyond limits. Your team and coach is on the second group.

congrats on a good signing, really hoped to see him coming back.

I bet he's faster than Brad Marsh was!

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
honest question from the outside looking in, the chara and parise signings havent been announced dollar value wise. Isles are 4.5ish mill over the cap but i dont think that is factoring in boychuks LTIR status (capfriendly). Is the plan to start wahlstrom and dobson in the minors to make the cap work or is the plan to buy more contracts like how hickey was buried to make the cap work. If it is option 2 then which contracts/players are potentially the ones that will be buried?
I’d trust the management to know if there’s a cap problem. Right now, they’re just signing low contracts. I’m sure Lou would know if there’s something beyond the cap.

Reactions: TheNewEra

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

They can't really put Dobson in the minors else they would be short a defenseman. All that being said I believe we have 15 forwards signed so that means 1-2 of those will most likely be sent down thus relieving some cap burden, same deal with Hickey

It should also be pointed out the 4.3M also includes LaDue, Paul(750k) who is for sure going to be sent down.

Once we take Boychuk off the books the Islanders basically have about 2.4M(6M -4.3M + 750k(LaDue)) to fit Chara and Parise's undisclosed contracts in(and given I expect both to be bonus heavy that shouldn't be an issue). I am not exactly sure what is happening with if we resign Zajac or not

worse comes to worse at this point they just give a team a 3rd to eat Komarov's contract for the rest of the year(3M caphit, 2M actual salary). I actually wouldn't be surprised if Komarov starts the season in Bridgeport and will basically be first call up when injury strikes. Shelter some of his caphit basically

Last edited:
Reactions: TheNewEra

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad