Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Zdeno Chara signs with the New York Islanders (1 year, $750k + $750k bonuses)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Smash255

Oct 22, 2003
Farmingdale
none.com
Uh no. Tampa was better. Remember the 8-0 drubbing?

And I like the Islanders but if someone is going to think this somehow tilts anything toward the NYI they haven't watched chara play.

Now he has to play 82 games?

Watch him run out of steam long before the playoffs.

I don't think anyone is suggesting Chara is going to be playing 82 games. Even if healthy all year, it is unlikely Chara is going to be playing much past 60 games

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
I also disagree they've gotten better this offseason. Unless I'm missing something the most notable moves was Parise and Chara in and Leddy and Eberle out. Parise is such an unknown, maybe his health can hold up and he can be a legit 20 goal 2nd line winger or maybe his back is hanging on by a thread and he is going to provide bare minimum 4th line production and most likely be a scratch oh most nights... but I'd say that's probably a slight downgrade all things considered.

The biggest thing the Islanders have coming into this season is a potential big breakout for both Wahlstrom and Dobson but young players development is near impossible to predict. But Wahlstrom is as good as bet as any young winger to get 30 goals.
The thing you’re missing is the lateral moves from where the team was in the playoffs plus Anders Lee returning.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
So you’re telling me Parise and the other senior citizens were also holding out for any other offer? Thanks for reminding me that Chara wasn’t the only one that waited as long as he could.

Again, a bunch of 60 year olds signing with NYI at the end of the summer after other teams have finished their FA shopping does not mean that NYI is an attractive FA destination.

I mean if you want to believe that Chara rejected offers from Tampa, Boston etc then by all means continue to live in your fantasy land.
No, I'm telling you they agreed to new contracts weeks or months ago that were not announced until recently. They were not holding out for other offers. This was definitely the case with Parise, Cizikas, and Palmeiri, and could also have been the case with Chara.

Reactions: Morrison

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
I get it if its timeshare / load management system with Greene/Chara for 3rd pair but theres still a big hole left in the puck movement dept due to Leddy's departure .

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Tampa also lost their entire third line, which was definitely their best against NYI.

Ross Colton will slot in nicely for Gourde. He's our next big bottom six star.

Adding Perry? Methinks this won't bne as bad as originally thought.

Colton was/is a huge surprise.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
As a Caps' fan, I was excited when Chara came on board last year. Pretty cool to see one of the legends suit up for your team.

On the ice, Chara was perfectly serviceable through early/middle part of the season. I thought that his play noticeably declined as the season went along. IMO, he was a liability in the playoffs.

My preference was that Caps do not bring him back. It's not even so much about his play as it is about the fact that you cannot make him a healthy scratch. If Chara wants to play in every game of the season, he will play, even if it's to the detriment of the team. I think that's why Boston chose not to keep him around.

Reactions: PB37

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
The thing you’re missing is the lateral moves from where the team was in the playoffs plus Anders Lee returning.

I think it's fair to see Lee coming off a major injury is also a bit of a question mark, though I think if anything he would just get off a to a slow start.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Back to where it all began...
200620926d94363a89c04378d9a032d1.jpeg.jpg

Reactions: Morrison

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Raise your hand if you thought back in 1996 that this guy would still be playing in 2022

You just made me realize that Chara is the one player still left who was in the NHL when I started following it (97-98). I had sort of assumed that there hadn't been anyone left in years, probably since Jagr returned to Europe. Hopefully, Zdeno keeps playing for my sake.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
As a Caps' fan, I was excited when Chara came on board last year. Pretty cool to see one of the legends suit up for your team.

On the ice, Chara was perfectly serviceable through early/middle part of the season. I thought that his play noticeably declined as the season went along. IMO, he was a liability in the playoffs.

My preference was that Caps do not bring him back. It's not even so much about his play as it is about the fact that you cannot make him a healthy scratch. If Chara wants to play in every game of the season, he will play, even if it's to the detriment of the team. I think that's why Boston chose not to keep him around.

Good post and that's exactly what happened in his last year as a Bruin.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Raise your hand if you thought back in 1996 that this guy would still be playing in 2022

Back in the early days of HFBoards, I do remember getting scoffed at, when I suggested he could develop into a player as good as Derian Hatcher. But... I also thought Tim Connolly could be as good as Steve Yzerman.

Win some... lose some :)

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
I also disagree they've gotten better this offseason. Unless I'm missing something the most notable moves was Parise and Chara in and Leddy and Eberle out.

If you are comparing to the beginning of last season, they also added Palmieri. If you are talking about since the playoffs then they added Lee. So yes, you are missing something.

Reactions: danteipp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad