Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Zdeno Chara signs with the New York Islanders (1 year, $750k + $750k bonuses)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Our LD's age total 81. That'd be perfect if it wasn't for the fact it's only including the 2nd and 3rd pairing....

Whatever, like other posters have stated we have strong depth at LD but there's no way a team with Cup aspirations is going to start their regular season with one or two rookies filling that role. Trotz wouldn't have it if both Salo and Bolduc were starting. They will gradually get weened in and if (miraculously) Chara and Green perform more than admirably then we're set.

Big Z's workout regimen is legendary, it's the 19-20 minutes a night that's concerning for a 75 year old.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ginger Papa

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Damn the Islanders have become much older on average this off season. They now have I think 13 players on their roster that are already 30 or more. Chara 44, Green 38 and Parise 37. Will be interesting to see how they will manage their ice time and how well it works for them.

Reactions: Morrison

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Wanted him in Florida due to him still being a monster, but pretty cool seeing him finish out (we think?) where it started.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I’m not sure it’s gonna make a huge difference on the ice but this just feels right. From a cute historical standpoint to a style standpoint to an organizational standpoint.

The Isles are an extremely good team right now with exceptional leadership, cohesiveness and continuity. I think that Chara basically picked them is just another sign of the stability and high expectations for this team.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Damn the Islanders have become much older on average this off season. They now have I think 13 players on their roster that are already 30 or more. Chara 44, Green 38 and Parise 37. Will be interesting to see how they will manage their ice time and how well it works for them.
I'm not concerned with Parise as he's on the 3rd line.

Both Chara and Green will be playing 18 minutes a night.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
For any youngsters who don't know the history of this.

"On draft day, 2001, Yashin was sent to the New York Islanders in exchange for defenceman Zdeno Chára, forward Bill Muckalt and the second overall draft selection, which the Senators used to draft highly touted centre Jason Spezza. Islanders' general manager Mike Milbury promptly re-signed Yashin to an enormous ten-year, $87.5 million contract. Although his contract was reduced by 24% due to the new NHL Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) signed in 2005, Yashin was widely considered to be grossly overpaid and virtually untradeable."

Milbury was just so bad.

TF1970

May 9, 2021
So now it’s probably this on their backend?

Pelech-Pulock
Chara-Mayfield
Greene-Dobson

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I expected this. Not going to lie as a Rangers fan I think the Isles win the cup

Maybe I could also see them hitting a bit of wall this season with all the hard minutes accumulated over the last few seasons

The Wahligator

Nov 27, 2015
Long Island
So now it’s probably this on their backend?

Pelech-Pulock
Chara-Mayfield
Greene-Dobson
Ideally Greene and Chara rotate in and out next to Dobson to stay fresh over a full season and one of Bolduc/Salo/Aho step up to play with Mayfield.

There’s Gustafsson in the mix as well so who really knows.

Reactions: 12Dog

Jan 21, 2018
Why are islander fans happy about z signing for the only team that offered him a contract. Even boston would rather have forbort as a ld.

Because NYI isn’t an ideal FA destination so they won’t land any younger players without overpaying. Not surprised a bunch of vets are signing in NYI, other teams didn’t want them or couldn’t offer the same amount of ice time that NYI can.

Reactions: Morrison

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad