Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Zdeno Chara signs with the New York Islanders (1 year, $750k + $750k bonuses)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
As a Caps fan, I was elated when the Caps brought him in and didn't understand where the Bruins fans were coming from at this point a year ago. They loved him to death, but were ready to see the Bruins move on. Now, I sort of get it.

He's still Zdeno Chara, but you're just getting a lot less of it as he enters his mid-40s. Less minutes, less snarl, less intimidation. Great leader, great team guy, great stick, no wheels left. He's aging out relatively gracefully. A smart player, yet he does get burned at times. Chara does a reasonably good job of playing within his limits. There are just a lot more limits today. The walls are closing in on him. Enough metaphors.

The Isles are a great team and they're going to be a handful. Chara gives them a little more of what they already do really well. Yet he's going to fill the role that most #5/6/7 players do on the Isles. Their Cup chances are not materially impacted by this move. It's purely depth.

At this stage, I'd want him as a #7, with spot duty as a #6. That's fine at the salary he's prepared to accept. They'll be fine as long as their blueline is healthy. Yet if he has to play very much #4/#5 minutes due to injuries elsewhere, the cracks definitely show in his game. You'd like your depth guys to be able to shoulder more responsibility for a few games than Chara can really handle today. The cap means you don't get everything, of course. Nice move.

The Wahligator

Nov 27, 2015
Long Island
Because NYI isn’t an ideal FA destination so they won’t land any younger players without overpaying. Not surprised a bunch of vets are signing in NYI, other teams didn’t want them or couldn’t offer the same amount of ice time that NYI can.
Or...maybe they see the NYI as one of their best chances to win a cup?

Also saying other teams didn’t want him is simply incorrect.

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
Hopefully sprinkle some Trotz fairy dust on Chara and Gustaffson(SP) and see what we have. Maybe load management comes into play with Greene and Parise as well.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
This was inevitable. Filled the one remaining hole in the Islanders roster, 2/3 pair LHD. Team is now solid top to bottom, left to right, end to end.

Reactions: DamnZamDoor

Jan 21, 2018
Or...maybe they see the NYI as one of their best chances to win a cup?

Also saying other teams didn’t want him is simply incorrect.

Lmao do you think he’s simply going to say “NYI was the only team that wanted me”?

Did the isles chances suddenly increase at the end of the summer? Or do you think it could be possible that he waited for other offers and nothing came?

Anyways, I’m not going to bother arguing with an isles fan about whether a 60 year old player chose NYI as their top FA destination, I’ll let you enjoy this signing :)

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Lmao do you think he’s simply going to say “NYI was the only team that wanted me”?

Did the isles chances suddenly increase at the end of the summer? Or do you think it could be possible that he waited for other offers and nothing came?

Anyways, I’m not going to bother arguing with an isles fan about whether a 60 year old player chose NYI as their top FA destination, I’ll let you enjoy this signing :)
Or he had a deal weeks ago, only just announced. Like half the Isles other signings.

Reactions: Morrison

Smash255

Oct 22, 2003
Farmingdale
none.com
Basically the exact opposite type of player as Leddy who he is basically replacing for the time being.

Chara is obviously not going to be the 20+ a minute a night every game player he use to be. However, I do see him being effective as someone who gets 16-18 minutes a night with plenty of nights off, playing maybe 50-60 games as Bouldic and/or Salo develop.

If due to injuries, etc he is needed to play beyond 60 games or so or used more than 18 minutes a night on any consistent basis his effectiveness certainly wanes, but if he is ice and playing time is managed I think he should be fairly effective.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12Dog

The Wahligator

Nov 27, 2015
Long Island

What an uninformed post, but I can’t say I’m surprised. He could’ve had a deal done weeks ago that hadn’t been announced like, ahem, EVERY other Isles signing this offseason if you’ve been paying attention.

We’ll enjoy our third straight deep playoff run, which Chara’s leadership will certainly help. You enjoy your first round exits.

Last edited:

Jan 21, 2018
Or he had a deal weeks ago, only just announced. Like half the Isles other signings.

So you’re telling me Parise and the other senior citizens were also holding out for any other offer? Thanks for reminding me that Chara wasn’t the only one that waited as long as he could.

Again, a bunch of 60 year olds signing with NYI at the end of the summer after other teams have finished their FA shopping does not mean that NYI is an attractive FA destination.

I mean if you want to believe that Chara rejected offers from Tampa, Boston etc then by all means continue to live in your fantasy land.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Awful signing.

Dude is a pylon.

Is he doing it to retire as an Islander?

He was garbage last season.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Islanders would have beat Tampa and won the Cup last year if Lee didn't get injured and they have only gotten stronger this off season. Such a well balanced team playing a perfect system.

I also disagree they've gotten better this offseason. Unless I'm missing something the most notable moves was Parise and Chara in and Leddy and Eberle out. Parise is such an unknown, maybe his health can hold up and he can be a legit 20 goal 2nd line winger or maybe his back is hanging on by a thread and he is going to provide bare minimum 4th line production and most likely be a scratch oh most nights... but I'd say that's probably a slight downgrade all things considered.

The biggest thing the Islanders have coming into this season is a potential big breakout for both Wahlstrom and Dobson but young players development is near impossible to predict. But Wahlstrom is as good as bet as any young winger to get 30 goals.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isles Junkie

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
I also disagree they've gotten better this offseason. Unless I'm missing something the most notable moves was Parise and Chara in and Leddy and Eberle out. Parise is such an unknown, if he can hold up as a legit 20 goal 2nd line winger or if he is going to provide bare minimum 4th line production... but I'd say that's probably a slight downgrade.

The biggest thing the Islanders have coming into this season is a potential big breakout for both Wahlstrom and Dobson but young players development is near impossible to predict.
Palmieri replaces Eberle - you can call that a wash. And before you say he was already part of the team, Lee was out, so you can’t have it both ways.

So it’s Leddy out, Chara and Parise in. A downgrade on defense, but one of those things where you wait until the trade deadline and see what’s around for an upgrade.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Islanders would have beat Tampa and won the Cup last year if Lee didn't get injured and they have only gotten stronger this off season. Such a well balanced team playing a perfect system.

Uh no. Tampa was better. Remember the 8-0 drubbing?

And I like the Islanders but if someone is going to think this somehow tilts anything toward the NYI they haven't watched chara play.

Now he has to play 82 games?

Watch him run out of steam long before the playoffs.

The Wahligator

Nov 27, 2015
Long Island
I also disagree they've gotten better this offseason. Unless I'm missing something the most notable moves was Parise and Chara in and Leddy and Eberle out. Parise is such an unknown, if he can hold up as a legit 20 goal 2nd line winger or if he is going to provide bare minimum 4th line production... but I'd say that's probably a slight downgrade all things considered.

The biggest thing the Islanders have coming into this season is a potential big breakout for both Wahlstrom and Dobson but young players development is near impossible to predict.
The roster as a whole probably didn’t get better, but it didn’t really need to. It just needed to get healthy. Let’s not forget they took Tampa to game 7 with Komarov on the top line and an ailing Pageau.

From the Tampa series team:

In: Lee, Wahlstrom, Parise, Chara

Out: Leddy, Eberle

I think they’re better today than a couple months ago.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
The roster as a whole probably didn’t get better, but it didn’t really need to. It just needed to get healthy. Let’s not forget they took Tampa to game 7 with Komarov on the top line and an ailing Pageau.

From the Tampa series team:

In: Lee, Wahlstrom, Parise, Chara

Out: Leddy, Eberle

I think they’re better today than a couple months ago.

Hedman played on a torn meniscus. Tampa will be healthier too.

Not quite ready to give it up to NYI yet. And their division isn't exactly a cake walk either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad