Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Adam Pelech signs extension (8 years, $5.75M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Nah, you loved him. He was your franchise center, and he left because you couldn’t build a team around him. He was a #1C on the best contract in the league, around ~5M I think. And the best winger you could get him was PA Parenteau lol.

Does that sound familiar? Who is Barzal playing with this season, Parise if he’s lucky? :)

Oooof.

You thought you did something with this post

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Danny Dekeyser has never even been good enough to push the wheelbarrow that holds Adam Pelech's gigantic balls.
There was a time when he was the best defensive d-man on a playoff team and was signed to about 5mil per year..

Hey, I like the value, I think defensive guys are underrated. But 8 years I think is pretty bad.

cjdv16

Nov 22, 2005
The Swamp
Is that a picture of the Isles board after Tavares signed in Toronto?

Again, further proof that you guys have some strange obsessesion with leaf fans:

The Pelech thread in the Isles forum is loaded with posts about the Leafs. Your D gets re-signed and you guys have to discuss how it affects the leafs. You need to sneak into the Leafs board to see what their reaction to the signing is. It’s a pretty unhealthy obsession lol.

Living in your head rent-free i suppose :)
Trust me… the last thing isles fans are focused on is jt and the leafs. Pardon the pun but they’ve both become a joke and ‘laff’able.

sights are set on the lightning, getting over that hump and bringing home the cup.

enjoy your team.

cjdv16

Nov 22, 2005
The Swamp
There was a time when he was the best defensive d-man on a playoff team and was signed to about 5mil per year..

Hey, I like the value, I think defensive guys are underrated. But 8 years I think is pretty bad.
Fantastic deal. No doubt.

dekayser can’t compare to pelech. You’d know if you watched him.

Reactions: SI

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
I will at least concede that losing JT's hurts. We certainly could use his talents... But like the chant says, we don't necessarily NEED him either.

This contract makes me very happy. Great AAV great term. Gives the isles the cap flexibility they need to lock up remaining RFA's and potentially bring in someone via trade.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Fantastic deal. No doubt.

dekayser can’t compare to pelech. You’d know if you watched him.
I doubt you know much about how Dekeyser played in 2013-2016 when you can't even spell his name.
They had similar icetime (Dekeyser a bit more), similar offensive output (Dekeyser a bit more) and while I don't have a fancy stats chart, Dekeyser acted as the primary shutdown player on a good team (playoff teams, 100+ points in 2015).

8 year is a lot for these types of players. Guys who can play defense and score 10-20 points are a dime-a-dozen.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I doubt you know much about how Dekeyser played in 2013-2016 when you can't even spell his name.
They had similar icetime (Dekeyser a bit more), similar offensive output (Dekeyser a bit more) and while I don't have a fancy stats chart, Dekeyser acted as the primary shutdown player on a good team (playoff teams, 100+ points in 2015).

8 year is a lot for these types of players. Guys who can play defense and score 10-20 points are a dime-a-dozen.

DeKeyser was never considered one of the top 2 or 3 defensive defensemen in hockey, though. At his peak, he was good. But he wasn't top 2, top 3 good.

Other than Slavin, I'm not sure who else is better purely in the defensive end. And even then, Slavin's bigger edge over Pelech is Slavin's a better puck mover, not necessarily better at purely the defensive aspect of the game.

sebsisles

Apr 25, 2013
Long Island
According to Friedman he should have been a Norris candidate. Im glad he wasn’t otherwise his price would have been higher. We all know Pelech is defensively a very underrated puck mover as well.

absolutely…he’s finally getting the recognition league wide too

Reactions: buud

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I'd love to know what Sorokin is thinking. He would be scheduled to be a UFA after next season right? If so, I can see him only wanting to sign a 1 year deal and then test the market. Eventhough Varlamov will still be in the fold, it's completely reasonable to think that come 2022-23, Sorokin can be the starter.
He did say he doesn’t want to go to arbitration. It creates bad blood between players and staff
More importantly, Ilya loves the Bailey song. He sang it in an interview. We can’t lose the guy who it’s about on behalf of Sorokin.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
He did say he doesn’t want to go to arbitration. It creates bad blood between players and staff
More importantly, Ilya loves the Bailey song. He sang it in an interview. We can’t lose the guy who it’s about on behalf of Sorokin.
some days I feel that Josh Bailey is the secret most important Islander.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
DeKeyser was never considered one of the top 2 or 3 defensive defensemen in hockey, though. At his peak, he was good. But he wasn't top 2, top 3 good.

Other than Slavin, I'm not sure who else is better purely in the defensive end. And even then, Slavin's bigger edge over Pelech is Slavin's a better puck mover, not necessarily better at purely the defensive aspect of the game.
Pure defense is hard to rate and measure though, and these guys usually don't have point totals that go soaring and increase their value. They could probably have signed Pelech to a 3 year contract and then in 3 years re-signed him to another contract at almost the exact same cap hit.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008

I'm sure having to compliment an Islander player was as painful for you as having to like two posts (in a row, no less) of a Penguins fan was for me. ;)

denis5

Mar 13, 2007
Pure defense is hard to rate and measure though, and these guys usually don't have point totals that go soaring and increase their value. They could probably have signed Pelech to a 3 year contract and then in 3 years re-signed him to another contract at almost the exact same cap hit.
With Pelech, it's easy to measure the impact. Look at the team record with him in and out of the lineup. Two seasons ago, they were 25-10-3 before his injury, and 10-13-7 after. Simply put, he's a huge factor in the team's success, and you just don't screw around with that.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm jealous that my team doesn't have a pure defense #1D where we can get away with paying him a lesser contract like this.

nyisleslover

Jun 20, 2018
Albany, NY

That's good, you're entitled to that opinion. I'm sure 8 years from now if you're right, you'll remind us of it. If you're wrong, I'm betting we never hear from you. Or we'll get the caveat escape clause you've prepared, when you say, "I said, 'I think defensive guys are underrated'".

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
I will at least concede that losing JT's hurts.

I think most Isles fans will admit it hurt at the time, but we certainly are glad we didn't sign him to that contract. He wouldn't fit in Trotz's style of play and we've been more than successful without him. I see a lot of posts on the Leaf's board that they're regretting that contract.

As for Pelech, anyone panning this contract just doesn't realize what this guy means to this team. He's truly irreplaceable. This deal takes him through his prime, for a great price.

Reactions: buud

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
The glow of seeing 3 Cups in the last 12 years hasn't worn off yet, so I don't mind being nice to the lesser teams when they have a modest amount of success. ;)
giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad