Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Adam Pelech signs extension (8 years, $5.75M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
Nah, you loved him. He was your franchise center, and he left because you couldn’t build a team around him. He was a #1C on the best contract in the league, around ~5M I think. And the best winger you could get him was PA Parenteau lol.

Does that sound familiar? Who is Barzal playing with this season, Parise if he’s lucky? :)
He was indeed our franchise 1C.

He’s not anymore and we’ve advanced to the ECF in 2/3 seasons without him. I’d say the Islanders are ok with this.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
D-man that has hit 20 points once in his career.. even if he's really good defensively it's just a big bet. But I'm of the mind that those 7-8 year deal should be reserved for the core players.
I just imagine what if we signed Danny Dekeyser to an 8 year deal instead of 5 years. Pelech will hopefully not fall off like he did though.
There’s more to core players than scoring an extra 10 secondary assist. Pelech is an amazing defensive defenseman. And that is valuable.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Nah, you loved him. He was your franchise center, and he left because you couldn’t build a team around him. He was a #1C on the best contract in the league, around ~5M I think. And the best winger you could get him was
Matt Moulson, a much better scorer than PAP. He left because he was/is a fool, and the Leafs have a robot as their Captain..

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
Nah, you loved him. He was your franchise center, and he left because you couldn’t build a team around him. He was a #1C on the best contract in the league, around ~5M I think. And the best winger you could get him was PA Parenteau lol.

Does that sound familiar? Who is Barzal playing with this season, Parise if he’s lucky? :)
And you get what out of $11m per year?

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
i'm not a fan of Lou Lam at all, but, i think this is a solid deal, on an underrated player

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
This is a terrible contract. GM's out to lunch this summer.

Nope. Wrong.

Pelech is one of the elite defensive defensemen in the NHL. His defensive impacts are basically untouchable by anyone.

This is a far, far, far better deal than the recent Seth Jones or Darnell Nurse contracts.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I wonder if this announcement opens up the floodgate for other Islanders news. You have to figure that Palmieri, Cizikas and perhaps even Beauvillier are already agreed upon.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I wonder if this announcement opens up the floodgate for other Islanders news. You have to figure that Palmieri, Cizikas and perhaps even Beauvillier are already agreed upon.
You also forgot Sorokin and even Parise.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
You also forgot Sorokin and even Parise.

I'd love to know what Sorokin is thinking. He would be scheduled to be a UFA after next season right? If so, I can see him only wanting to sign a 1 year deal and then test the market. Eventhough Varlamov will still be in the fold, it's completely reasonable to think that come 2022-23, Sorokin can be the starter.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Anyone saying this is a bad contract clearly should not be taken seriously by anyone.
Lou's knocked it out of the park thus far this summer, he traded Leddy and Eberle to create 11M of capspace to make it 17M+ overall, has Boychuck on LTIR for another 6M, so he has 23M + at his disposal before this signing. Signs Pelech who most consider as the Isles best D man at 5,75M per year deal on the same day Nurse is signed to a 9.25M cap hit. The guy is pulling all the right strings. Terrific cap and asset allocation. Senile Lou still has it.

Reactions: Olliemets

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
Nope. Wrong.

Pelech is one of the elite defensive defensemen in the NHL. His defensive impacts are basically untouchable by anyone.

This is a far, far, far better deal than the recent Seth Jones or Darnell Nurse contracts.
Defensive impacts are untouchable by anyone? You can't be serious...

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
D-man that has hit 20 points once in his career.. even if he's really good defensively it's just a big bet. But I'm of the mind that those 7-8 year deal should be reserved for the core players.
I just imagine what if we signed Danny Dekeyser to an 8 year deal instead of 5 years. Pelech will hopefully not fall off like he did though.

Danny Dekeyser has never even been good enough to push the wheelbarrow that holds Adam Pelech's gigantic balls.

Reactions: IslesNbeer

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Defensive impacts are untouchable by anyone? You can't be serious...

100%. Per HockeyViz, Pelech's Isolated Impact on defense is -11%, meaning the opposition creates 11% less offence when Pelech is out there. Per Evolving Hockey, Pelech has the 5th best RAPM xGA/60 among all defensemen the last two years. The only relevant players in his stratosphere defensively are Weegar, Brodin, and Larsson.

Anyone saying this is a bad contract clearly should not be taken seriously by anyone.

Leafs 1991, you really just don't know much about hockey then.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

hockeyisles

Jul 29, 2021
Sorokin, Barzal, Pulock are all cornerstones just as Pelech is....thats why i had no interest in Tarasenko..I think we need to lock up the core before we look at anything else

realistically :

Barzal 8-9M
Sorokin 6M
Pulock 6-7M

Beauvillier, Wahlstrom, and Dobson eventually need to be locked up too. Anyone who has any financial acumen can do a simple salary progression analysis. trust me we are not in as good a salary cap position as some fans think. Lou has Done a remarkable job so far, But there's still much to do.

Last edited:

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
I'd love to know what Sorokin is thinking. He would be scheduled to be a UFA after next season right? If so, I can see him only wanting to sign a 1 year deal and then test the market. Eventhough Varlamov will still be in the fold, it's completely reasonable to think that come 2022-23, Sorokin can be the starter.

I think he's an August birthday, so I expect a two year bridge deal at something like 3 or 3.5. After that, Varlamov will be gone/retired and Sorokin can get 6 or 7 a season. Who knows though.

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
100%. Per HockeyViz, Pelech's Isolated Impact on defense is -11%, meaning the opposition creates 11% less offence when Pelech is out there. Per Evolving Hockey, Pelech has the 5th best RAPM xGA/60 among all defensemen the last two years. The only relevant players in his stratosphere defensively are Weegar, Brodin, and Larsson.

Leafs 1991, you really just don't know much about hockey then.
Thanks, I guess people aren't allowed to have different opinions. I actually didn't know that about Pelech.

But hey, it's better to act superior to others right?

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina

Bro.. I'm going to type a response to you and idc if it gets deleted as long as YOU see it.

Who gives a f*** about Tavares? Seriously. Who? Certainly not Lou Lamoriello who is too busy you know.... building a hockey team.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
He is a core player. He's the foundation of the league's best defense. And he's exactly the kind of player and contract that will age well, as his game is not dependent on speed. He will be only 34 at the end. Still prime age for a defenseman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad