Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Adam Pelech signs extension (8 years, $5.75M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Luca Brasi swims with the fishes.

Which means a return of this:

7f0633adeb212773.jpg

Reactions: sebsisles

replayer

Aug 3, 2005
Nah, you loved him. He was your franchise center, and he left because you couldn’t build a team around him. He was a #1C on the best contract in the league, around ~5M I think. And the best winger you could get him was PA Parenteau lol.

Does that sound familiar? Who is Barzal playing with this season, Parise if he’s lucky? :)

Lee and likely Wahlstrom.

JT left because he wanted May and June off, and the Leafs are the perfect place for that.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I’d say it’s a pretty fair deal. Good on Lou to get a couple of those UFA years without having to go to even $6m, never mind going over it.

It really shows you though that points are so highly valued with defenders. If Pelech was even a 30 point defender, he’d approach Vlasic’s deal.

Reactions: Curufinwe

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I’d say it’s a pretty fair deal. Good on Lou to get a couple of those UFA years without having to go to even $6m, never mind going over it.

It really shows you though that points are so highly valued with defenders. If Pelech was even a 30 point defender, he’d approach Vlasic’s deal.
I agree, The added years were for rewarding loyalty for a player that wants to stay. Pelech took a reduced AVV for the team and Lou gave him the max years as a reward, This is a great example of a win win negotiations. This also sets the table for Pulock, when you get the first one right, the rest will follow. Lou did this, this is why he is a 2 time GM of the year. Pelech is still only 26, the length is not a worry.

Reactions: nyisleslover

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Crazy good contract, especially considering the deals inferior defenseman like Hamilton and Werenski got.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Is that a picture of the Isles board after Tavares signed in Toronto?

Again, further proof that you guys have some strange obsessesion with leaf fans:

The Pelech thread in the Isles forum is loaded with posts about the Leafs. Your D gets re-signed and you guys have to discuss how it affects the leafs. You need to sneak into the Leafs board to see what their reaction to the signing is. It’s a pretty unhealthy obsession lol.

Living in your head rent-free i suppose :)

Actually great comic relief is more like it . . . And I guess you had to sneak over to ours to see that quote, didn't you? One thing I do know is the rent is a lot lower in your head.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Nah, you loved him. He was your franchise center, and he left because you couldn’t build a team around him. He was a #1C on the best contract in the league, around ~5M I think. And the best winger you could get him was PA Parenteau lol.

Does that sound familiar? Who is Barzal playing with this season, Parise if he’s lucky? :)

Whoever Barzal plays next to, they've produced playoff round wins

Last edited:

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017

Come on. We are one of the top teams in the league, a Cup contender, and just happened to sign our best defenseman to a team-friendly deal. The Leafs are a mess, an also-run, a middle of the pack bubble team at the very best. Why you brought in Tavares into Pelech thread? No one sane will trade Pelech for Pajama straight up.

:sarcasm:

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
Not surprised that the term and AVV was favorable to the Islanders. Has anyone else seen Lou's negotiating team? Poor Pelech and his agent never had a chance.
Capture.PNG

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Sid as one who just did it, I’m sorry that you aren’t savvy enough to understand a side by side comparison of multiple metrics in a simple format. The data is the same for both players and it takes out much of the subjectivity for those specific categories

‘it’s not meant to be all inclusive and you should know that it’s just a graphic illustration of basic performance, people explaining their personal opinions is much more prone to speculation and less about actual performance.

Why would you assume I don't understand what's on the graph? I simply prefer hockey discussions to include actual discussion of a player's abilities and strengths/weaknesses that lead that player to be the player he is, not just image after image of charts and graphs with no actual hockey analysis from the person posting those charts and graphs.

It's no different than if the discussion is "who is a better player between McDavid and Mackinnon" and the only thing someone posts in response is a link or image of the scoring race from last season with nothing else accompanying it. It makes for boring discussion.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
With all due respect to Pelech, but...yes? Points matter? Has there ever been an era where two-way defensemen weren't the one's winning the Norris? Closest I can think of is Rod Langway going back-to-back.
I remember reading something about the Norris going to the best overall defenseman. And the best offensive defenseman would get the Paul Coffey Memorial Trophy. Whatever became of that?

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I agree, The added years were for rewarding loyalty for a player that wants to stay. Pelech took a reduced AVV for the team and Lou gave him the max years as a reward, This is a great example of a win win negotiations. This also sets the table for Pulock, when you get the first one right, the rest will follow. Lou did this, this is why he is a 2 time GM of the year. Pelech is still only 26, the length is not a worry.

Nah, term isn’t a worry at all. Cap will go up with time and even if his offense is what it is and he’s a 20 point defender that gives you elite level defense, that contract will age well regardless, provided his body doesn’t break down at an unexpected rate.

As a Ranger fan, you can’t say anything bad about this deal. I don’t know if I’d necessarily call it a steal, as for me it falls right in line with Slavin’s when you account for inflation and what not, but it’s a very good deal for both the team and the player.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Outstanding AAV, although I always worry about very long term for a defensive defensemen. They always seem perfectly fine and healthy until when day they're suddenly not. But this is still an A+ deal.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
D-man that has hit 20 points once in his career.. even if he's really good defensively it's just a big bet. But I'm of the mind that those 7-8 year deal should be reserved for the core players.
I just imagine what if we signed Danny Dekeyser to an 8 year deal instead of 5 years. Pelech will hopefully not fall off like he did though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad