Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Adam Pelech signs extension (8 years, $5.75M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Not sure who you are refering to? There was not one Defenceman in the NHL that scored more than 48 points last season. So this post is a bit of a reach. And the D man that scored 48 points was Barrie. I don't think any sane GM would take Barrie over Pelech do you?

You realize we were in a shortened season, yes? By the way, I specifically said the DeAngelos types (which Barrie is in) shouldn't win. I'm talking about the Josi's, the Fox's, the Hedman's and what have you.

hunter7isles

Feb 22, 2007
NYI fans are a very sensitive/insecure bunch. I just questioned the term steal and now I am targeted as a hater of that deal. Which is 100% wrong.

As opposed to any other fans on HF Boards? You made an opinion against the consensus on a sports message board. Not sure why you would expect anything other than to get attacked. It is the sad reality of the time we live in.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
You realize we were in a shortened season, yes? By the way, I specifically said the DeAngelos types (which Barrie is in) shouldn't win. I'm talking about the Josi's, the Fox's, the Hedman's and what have you.
It's short sighted to simply measure the value of D men by points, if you do, then you are watching fantasy hockey, real hockey, as we have seen in these playoffs wins playoff games. We are talking real flesh and blood hockey. Not fantasy sports. I hope you are not comparing Pelech to D men paid in the 9M range. He is paid at 5.75M, for which is excellent value on the ice in prevention of goals, and playing against the best players on other teams is a great contract. Even the Canadiens when they were winning all those cups needed a Savard. TB needed a McDonagh did they not? These are and were elite shut down D men, and Isles locked one a 26 year old elite shut down D man at a modest 5.75 for 8 years.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
In terms of purely intelligent shutdown defensemen in the NHL - for me it’s 1) Slavin, 2) Pelech and then everybody else.

These guys are basically unicorns in terms of what they do and how well they do it. It’s a great deal for the Isles.

That said - can we quit posting fancy graph comparison between players with no actual intelligent analysis as if they prove everything? HFB has now devolved into finding the one pretty graph that proves your side of things - posting it with no analysis - and saying “SEEE!!?!!?”. No context, no breakdown - just a dumb chart with colors. This is the new way lazy way to frame arguments around here I guess. I love these graphs and charts for simply showing the effectiveness of a player…in Pelech’s case, maybe opening eyes of people unaware of him to how effective he is. But I hate when they are used as a comparison tool with no context to prove one players superiority over another.

Last edited:

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
As opposed to any other fans on HF Boards? You made an opinion against the consensus on a sports message board. Not sure why you would expect anything other than to get attacked. It is the sad reality of the time we live in.
No, my fanbase is the worst at that by far I just felt it was unfair how they attacked me because I questioned the notion of steal. Pelech is a great building block and his contract is solid.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
There's other people that feel the same way. No need go get all up in arms about it, it's just an opinion. He's a good D and upper class defensive dman but 5.75 seems pretty fair for what he brings ( and what he lacks ). If you think it's a steal, cool.

Just having a laugh my friend.......

.........wasn't trying to stir anything up.

PS: It is a damned good signing though!!

Reactions: PB37

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Tries calling out others for being sensative and then starts playing the victim... Priceless.
Well I questionned the notion of steal and it turned out that I was a hater of the deal which is totally wrong. As for playing the victim what do you mean?

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
In terms of purely intelligent shutdown defensemen in the NHL - for me it’s 1) Slavin, 2) Pelech and then everybody else.

These guys are basically unicorns in terms of what they do and how well they do it.
What’s the definition of a “purely shutdown defenseman”? Is that just a great defenseman at actual defensive abilities? Or a great defenseman at actual defensive abilities who isn’t a great offensive player?

I’m assuming you mean the latter, which is absolutely fair.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
It's short sighted to simply measure the value of D men by points, if you do, then you are watching fantasy hockey, real hockey, as we have seen in these playoffs wins playoff games. We are talking real flesh and blood hockey. Not fantasy sports. I hope you are not comparing Pelech to D men paid in the 9M range. He is paid at 5.75M, for which is excellent value on the ice in prevention of goals, and playing against the best players on other teams is a great contract. Even the Canadiens when they were winning all those cups needed a Savard. TB needed a McDonagh did they not? These are and were elite shut down D men, and Isles locked one a 26 year old elite shut down D man at a modest 5.75 for 8 years.

This, at best, addresses absolutely nothing that I've brought up. At worst, it actively ignores them. None of what you're saying is something I argued or responded to.

hunter7isles

Feb 22, 2007
No, my fanbase is the worst at that by far I just felt it was unfair how they attacked me because I questioned the notion of steal. Pelech is a great building block and his contract is solid.

Like I said, nature of the beast - perhaps you are being a tad bit sensitive yourself. it is a sports message board. Brush it off and take it for what it is.

In terms of the notion of a steal, it depends what your measurement is. I think most people measure the contract against other contracts being given out that offseason. To me, relative to some of the contracts being given out, especially on defense, it was an absolute steal. Defense/offense, whatever the semantics of the argument, I would take Pelech's contract over basically every other one given out to a defenseman this offseason. If you have some you want to throw out that are better it would make for a good friendly debate, but I think that is where people are coming in with the steal rhetoric.

IslesBro715

May 24, 2009
Florida
Most important player at our biggest strength. I expected around 7 mil per, but this great. Now have to see what Cizikas and Palms are getting

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
Good signing for the Isles. Similar to the Morrissey deal I suppose but Pelech has fit like a glove in the defense the last couple of years. Hopefully his best hockey is behind him and he can take it easy now that he's paid.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

These guys are basically unicorns in terms of what they do and how well they do it. It’s a great deal for the Isles.

That said - can we quit posting fancy graph comparison between players with no actual intelligent analysis as if they prove everything? HFB has now devolved into finding the one pretty graph that proves your side of things - posting it with no analysis - and saying “SEEE!!?!!?”. No context, no breakdown - just a dumb chart with colors. This is the new way lazy way to frame arguments around here I guess. I love these graphs and charts for simply showing the effectiveness of a player…in Pelech’s case, maybe opening eyes of people unaware of him to how effective he is. But I hate when they are used as a comparison tool with no context to prove one players superiority over another.

I agree 100% with this.

Too many player "comparisons" no longer even involve people explaining, in hockey details, why Player A is superior to Player B. What is it he does well on the ice? What is it Player B struggles to do? What skills allow Player A to succeed? Etc.

Instead, too many discussions on here devolve into someone just slapping down a WAR graph or some other sort of analytics "chart" with zero actual commentary from them and using that as their entire argument.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This, at best, addresses absolutely nothing that I've brought up. At worst, it actively ignores them. None of what you're saying is something I argued or responded to.
I actually did, you compared Josi at 9+M(11.12% of cap at signing) and Hedman at 7.85M(10.79% of cap at signing) per to Pelech who is being paid 5.75M at a 7.06% of the cap.

If you are going to genuinely discuss the contract, then Atleast use somewhat comparable players and contracts which McDonagh is at 6.75M per at 8.49% of the cap at signing. Both are Defensive D men. McDonagh had 12 pts last season, Pelech 14 pts, if you like to focus solely on offence, which is not what shut down D men are paid for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad