Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Adam Pelech signs extension (8 years, $5.75M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
With all due respect to Pelech, but...yes? Points matter? Has there ever been an era where two-way defensemen weren't the one's winning the Norris? Closest I can think of is Rod Langway going back-to-back.

points matter a lot. But you can’t underestimate the importance of a player who is great at defending and preventing points.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
points matter a lot. But you can’t underestimate the importance of a player who is great at defending and preventing points.

No doubt about it but I don't think anyone here would give up a player who's a bit worse defensively than Pelech but puts up 55 points. Nor would they give the Norris to Pelech over that player.

denis5

Mar 13, 2007
Excellent signing. Isles fans can attest he is the Most Valuable Defenceman on the Isles in the Trotz and Lou era. Very low AVV considering recent contract signings. 8 years is a great reward for a player that gave a team discount to stay. Optics is clear to the team and won't rock the boat. Had he hit the open market next season, he would have surely gotten more than 5.75M per for 7 years. Good for Adam, and good for the Isles. Bought into Lou's internal cap structure for the Isles. Great job by the 2 time GM of the year Lamoriello. Pelech is arguably the most valuable Islander they can ill afford to play without.
I honestly thought this would come in at 6, or even higher, and on a short term deal that would have put the team at risk of losing him in a season or two. This was a win on all fronts.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Seems pretty good deal for the isles considering some of the AAVs being tossed around for defenders (albeit better ones)

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Its 2021, learn to read charts.
Thank you I am aware of charts it is my profession in real life.

And that chart mean absotely nothing unless they can explain the signification of the indicators. What is EV%, PP, finishing, A1/60, Penalties, etc ?

Feel free to explain instead of ridiculing me. Give that to anybody without explanation even post doctorate in rocket science and they would not understand the meaning of it.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
he’s the best player on the islanders. Isles can win games without Barzal if they had to. They would be doomed if Pelech goes down. This is a pretty universally agreed upon amongst islanders fans.

Wouldn't you say the same thing about Pulock though?

If not, it's only because Dobson would replace Pulock better than anyone NYI had on LD could replace Pelech.

The Bourne article on them is really great. I can't find it though.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Isles fans are over the moon and neutral fans are confused lol. How is Pelech being really really good still a secret?

I can explain that: divisional play this last year (and shortened season the previous year) means that fewer people really know the excellent players outside of their division. And this especially applies to fans of teams that don't make the playoffs, or don't make long runs... :P

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
he’s the best player on the islanders. Isles can win games without Barzal if they had to. They would be doomed if Pelech goes down. This is a pretty universally agreed upon amongst islanders fans.

He did go down two years ago and the Isles went into a tailspin. If the league didn’t cancel the season early they wouldn’t have made playoffs.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
No doubt about it but I don't think anyone here would give up a player who's a bit worse defensively than Pelech but puts up 55 points. Nor would they give the Norris to Pelech over that player.
Not sure who you are refering to? There was not one Defenceman in the NHL that scored more than 48 points last season. So this post is a bit of a reach. And the D man that scored 48 points was Barrie. I don't think any sane GM would take Barrie over Pelech do you?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

I guess it depends who you ask. Thank everyone goes crazy for a guy like Trouba but I wouldn’t give up a Pelech for him ever.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Wouldn't you say the same thing about Pulock though?

If not, it's only because Dobson would replace Pulock better than anyone NYI had on LD could replace Pelech.

The Bourne article on them is really great. I can't find it though.

I love Pulock. He’s very strong defensively and has offensive skills. That being said, Pelech is pretty much the standard when it comes to shutdown defensman. Pulock isn’t where Pelech is.

Reactions: nyisleslover

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The points argument for D men, I get. But people who do not watch the Isles on a regular basis, will not know the value of Pelech to the Isles D and team as a whole. When he was injured, the Isles went on a slide. He is one the premiere Shut down D man in the NHL. There is tremendous value in this. Again, ask Sid Crosby in the 2 series he was shut down by primarily the Pelech and Pulock tandem. Game is about winning, Isles would not have been able to without Pelech IMO. Isles fans would agree, perhaps Pens fans would also. Think Rod Langway when you think Pelech. He will likely never win the Norris, because it is a points for D man trophy it has turned into. But don't be surprised if he is picked for Team Canada, in real flesh and blood hockey, he's that good.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
The amount of players in the league who are only slightly worse at defense than Pelech while also putting up more than 55 points is very small

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad