Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Adam Pelech signs extension (8 years, $5.75M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

hunter7isles

Feb 22, 2007
It's interesting comparing Avs/Isles and Toews/Pelech. Neither team probably would want to switch, Pelech is likely more effective defensively in NY than Denver. Both players more offensively successful in Colorado probably. Toews being more of a mobile/positional defender I think plays to Colorado's strength versus NY's. Watching him in the playoffs game me some serious Rafalski vibes, cerebral and always where he needed to be even if he isn't at the shutdown level Pelech is.

Yet with the Isles, he wasn't always where he needed to be. I think we can agree that both players are on the teams that fit their styles of play perfectly.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Stupidly good deal. Maybe he slows down the last year or two of the contract, but under $6 mil for a top pairing defenseman is very nice.

Reactions: davinhimself

hunter7isles

Feb 22, 2007
He's better than Barzal?

Yes. Barzal is still a work in progress. Putting up points and making flashy plays does not make you the best player. Barzal is easily the most talented player on the team. Those are two different things. I think all Isles fan can agree though that if the Isles are to take the next step, Barzal needs to become their best player.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I wasn’t trying to bait you, it just seems like there’s a group of Leaf fans who try to find something wrong with everything Lamoriello does.

I interpreted your post as you insinuating it was too long so I provided an example with a player you’re familiar with whose inferior and paid until he’s even older than Pelech. If that wasn’t your intent than my apologies.

This seems like a huge W for the Islanders. The long term is the price to lower the cap hit. That’s almost unavoidable. The team would need to make some concessions and the term was one that likely lowered the cap. This will help keep the teams depth in tact.

My thoughts are that an 8 year deal carries higher risk.

I believe it’s a fair contract in terms of AAV. Pelech is a high end defensive d-man and typically their market value is lower since offensive numbers are more valued on the market. Now he’s a great defensive d-men on a great defensive team so you could argue that he could be a product of the system. You could also argue on another team (like the Leafs) that he would have higher offensive numbers. At the same time though perhaps the defensive performance slips.

At the end of the day he excels in the Isles system and so he provides a ton of value that isn’t measured in points. Hence why I think it’s fair. Should he breakout offensively then this becomes a steal.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Yes. Barzal is still a work in progress. Putting up points and making flashy plays does not make you the best player. Barzal is easily the most talented player on the team. Those are two different things. I think all Isles fan can agree though that if the Isles are to take the next step, Barzal needs to become their best player.

Oh okay, thanks for the reply.

I knew Pelech was good but not that good. Sounds like a very good deal then.

Which sucks since I'm a Rangers fan haha.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
It's interesting comparing Avs/Isles and Toews/Pelech. Neither team probably would want to switch, Pelech is likely more effective defensively in NY than Denver. Both players more offensively successful in Colorado probably. Toews being more of a mobile/positional defender I think plays to Colorado's strength versus NY's. Watching him in the playoffs game me some serious Rafalski vibes, cerebral and always where he needed to be even if he isn't at the shutdown level Pelech is.

I'm a huge Toews fan, and have been long before any of you heard of him. He's smart, opportunistic, and a dual threat pushing the puck up the ice. NYI desperately needs a player like him, and it sucks that they had to trade him. But Toews isn't putting a lid on Crosby/Pastrnak/Ovechkin at even strength etc. Faced with the choice of eliminating one of those stars vs. what Toews brings in other aspects, I'll take the former. But I'd wish I didn't have to choose.

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
So they pretty much have a Vlasic-level defensive D going into his prime at $5.75m per until he's 34 years old. Meanwhile, Vlasic, at 34 years old, is getting $7m per for the next 5 years on a contract signed 4 years ago. Sure, Vlasic's current contract is one of the worst out there, but imagine thinking getting him at $5.75m during his entire prime would not be a steal.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
My thoughts are that an 8 year deal carries higher risk.

I believe it’s a fair contract in terms of AAV. Pelech is a high end defensive d-man and typically their market value is lower since offensive numbers are more valued on the market. Now he’s a great defensive d-men on a great defensive team so you could argue that he could be a product of the system. You could also argue on another team (like the Leafs) that he would have higher offensive numbers. At the same time though perhaps the defensive performance slips.

At the end of the day he excels in the Isles system and so he provides a ton of value that isn’t measured in points. Hence why I think it’s fair. Should he breakout offensively then this becomes a steal.
That’s fair. I think they know the player well, and know how he fits so the term was a risk they were willing to take… but you’re right, all long term deals come with risk.

Another factor is that the 8 years likely runs through as the cap eventually starts to rise… so that 5.75 in 25/26 and beyond will look even better

Reactions: BertCorbeau

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Pelech is one of the best defensive defenseman in the league he doesn’t need to score, he’s a defenseman that suppresses the opponents scoring chances and does a great job.
i know who Pelech is. I'm just saying the big money goes to guys who put up points. He was never going to get 8million +

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
He's better than Barzal?

That is really hard to say. So much of what a player can do depends upon fit these days. Even the greatest players. Pelech plays with as part of a pairing that communicates automatically. Pelech-Pulock have been together for years, and it shows.

NYI's most recent Barzal memories are of him playing with a giant hole offensively at LW. He is a puck distributor. That was going to hurt him, and it did.

It is really an unfair comparison. But what it also shows is that Pelech's contract is only part one - NYI have to start working on Pulock's extension.

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
I know its a meme but i actually kind of think Lou made Pelech sign this with a knife to his neck.

hunter7isles

Feb 22, 2007
I'm a huge Toews fan, and have been long before any of you heard of him. He's smart, opportunistic, and a dual threat pushing the puck up the ice. NYI desperately needs a player like him, and it sucks that they had to trade him. But Toews isn't putting a lid on Crosby/Pastrnak/Ovechkin at even strength etc. Faced with the choice of eliminating one of those stars vs. what Toews brings in other aspects, I'll take the former. But I'd wish I didn't have to choose.

For any non-Isles fan, this basically was the perfect explanation about the way we feel about Pelech and Toews. It's not like we wanted to lose Toews but Toews was a Ladd signing casualty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad