Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Adam Pelech signs extension (8 years, $5.75M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
Lol who. Cant believe i never heard of this guy.
I’m not an Islanders fan but Pelech is a very good defenseman and a pleasure to watch, if you get a chance you get any Islanders games in, focus on Pelech.

Pelech is a pain to play against and this signing also gives room for the Islanders to resign Beauvillier, Sorokin, Palmieri and Cizikas.

Not sure if Tarasenko is in the cards for the Islanders, unless they can send some salary out, have St. Louis retain or LTIR someone until the Isles can send salary out.

Reactions: Ulysses31

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
8 years is a long time
Jake Muzzin is signed until he’s 35. Most would say Pelech is a better player than Muzzin and will make only 100k more through his prime years.

If you’re iffy about this one, you must hate the Jake Muzzin contract. Particularly because he’s gotten injured the past two seasons when they need him most.

To this point, Pelech has no durability concerns and has been a critical part of back to back conference finals.

Time can change things but this appears to be a very good contract for the Islanders as we sit here today.

hunter7isles

Feb 22, 2007
Not a chance from me. I take Pelech and his new deal over Toews every time.

And it isn't very close, as much as I like Toews also. Apples and oranges, but give me the guy that just shuts down every top star of the other team. Toews is a great fit to what Colorado does. He isn't the same player on the Isles due to their defensive style. It would be interesting to see how Pelech would look on the Avs. He has shown flashes of much more offensive ability than his stats reflect at times. With more freedom, I would guess he would put up a healthy amount of points.

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
Don’t take sides against the Family Adam. You know what happened to Fredo.
93EB973A-CB35-416A-8561-BBDF060A10B3.gif

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Jake Muzzin is signed until he’s 35. Most would say Pelech is a better player than Muzzin and will make only 100k more through his prime years.

If you’re iffy about this one, you must hate the Jake Muzzin contract. Particularly because he’s gotten injured the past two seasons when they need him most.

To this point, Pelech has no durability concerns and has been a critical part of back to back conference finals.

Time can change things but this appears to be a very good contract for the Islanders as we sit here today.

W.. why are you trying to bait me into some nonsense argument about Muzzin?

I just said it’s this is a long contract

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Chara, Lindstrom were defense-first types.

Chara scored 50 points when he won his only Norris and Lidstrom in his 7 Norris winning seasons registered 71, 59, 62, 80, 62, 70 and 62 points and had no less than 9 goals in a season.

Rod Langway won 2 Norris trophies in the 80’s and didn’t even break the 40 point mark while Paul Coffey was scoring 100 points a year.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Nice pay raise. I thought it was Mayfield making that, though. Or is he still ridiculously cheap?
Mayfield is still stupid cheap. Both were dirt cheap signings at the time for bridge deals essentially and worth every penny plus some.

Islander Prophet

Oct 31, 2010
London, UK
I’m not an Islanders fan but Pelech is a very good defenseman and a pleasure to watch, if you get a chance you get any Islanders games in, focus on Pelech.

Pelech is a pain to play against and this signing also gives room for the Islanders to resign Beauvillier, Sorokin, Palmieri and Cizikas.

Not sure if Tarasenko is in the cards for the Islanders, unless they can send some salary out, have St. Louis retain or LTIR someone until the Isles can send salary out.
I hope we dont resign Cizikas and keep the space for Tarasenko. Panik can play on this team and we save some money

Reactions: Maurice of Orange

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
W.. why are you trying to bait me into some nonsense argument about Muzzin?

I just said it’s this is a long contract
I wasn’t trying to bait you, it just seems like there’s a group of Leaf fans who try to find something wrong with everything Lamoriello does.

I interpreted your post as you insinuating it was too long so I provided an example with a player you’re familiar with whose inferior and paid until he’s even older than Pelech. If that wasn’t your intent than my apologies.

This seems like a huge W for the Islanders. The long term is the price to lower the cap hit. That’s almost unavoidable. The team would need to make some concessions and the term was one that likely lowered the cap. This will help keep the teams depth in tact.

hunter7isles

Feb 22, 2007
It seems people took my issue with the 'steal' of deal.

It just seems overused term IMO.

There are very few non entry level steal contracts. I know McKinnon is one.

Obviously if Pelech is a top pair defenseman for the whole duration of the deal that is a very good deal! It's just seem steal to be suggest he should be worth double the amount.

When people say steal, it is all about context. It is relative to the fact that he is one of the top d-man on the market, granted RFA, and it is all relative to the contracts being paid out this offseason. You can't compare it to other contracts paid in other years because the market is always changing. What is tricky is that there is no one guy who can truly to compare to Pelech that was available this offseason. The big names and contracts were all to offensive defenseman. The closest comparable I see is Brandon Carlo who also got what i view as a favorable team contract with the Bruins. I would still say the Pelech deal is even better, although I like that the Carlo deal takes him through his prime years and not much further. He is not the player Pelech is, but still very solid.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
And it isn't very close, as much as I like Toews also. Apples and oranges, but give me the guy that just shuts down every top star of the other team. Toews is a great fit to what Colorado does. He isn't the same player on the Isles due to their defensive style. It would be interesting to see how Pelech would look on the Avs. He has shown flashes of much more offensive ability than his stats reflect at times. With more freedom, I would guess he would put up a healthy amount of points.

It's interesting comparing Avs/Isles and Toews/Pelech. Neither team probably would want to switch, Pelech is likely more effective defensively in NY than Denver. Both players more offensively successful in Colorado probably. Toews being more of a mobile/positional defender I think plays to Colorado's strength versus NY's. Watching him in the playoffs game me some serious Rafalski vibes, cerebral and always where he needed to be even if he isn't at the shutdown level Pelech is.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
A little less on the AAV to get 8 years I imagine

good deal for both sides, he impressed the hell out of me in the playoffs

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Thought he’d come in around 5, so just a touch higher than I anticipated.

Solid deal for both sides. The Isles get to lock up a core piece for the rest of their cup window.

Last edited:

PolishPrince21

Mar 4, 2015
LI
Chara scored 50 points when he won his only Norris and Lidstrom in his 7 Norris winning seasons registered 71, 59, 62, 80, 62, 70 and 62 points and had no less than 9 goals in a season.

Rod Langway won 2 Norris trophies in the 80’s and didn’t even break the 40 point mark while Paul Coffey was scoring 100 points a year.
NL has 7 Norris trophies for a reason, he was that good at what he did.

hunter7isles

Feb 22, 2007
I hope we dont resign Cizikas and keep the space for Tarasenko. Panik can play on this team and we save some money

If the 2.5 per year rumored deal for casey is true, you aren't really saving much money. Give me Casey back if the 2.5 is accurate. Get creative to save that money elsewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad