Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Adam Pelech signs extension (8 years, $5.75M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
This contract is a steal considering nurse got 9.25 mil and Seth Jones got 9.5 mil. In a salary cap industry, the teams with the most production to caphit ratio are the most successful ones. This signing is pound for pound great value.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
This contract is a steal considering nurse got 9.25 mil and Seth Jones got 9.5 mil. In a salary cap industry, the teams with the most production to caphit ratio are the most successful ones. This signing is pound for pound great value.
In the last 3 seasons, Nurse/Jones are both top 15 in the league in average icetime per game. Pelech isn't top 100...

Niklas Hjalmarsson is a better comparable.

Reactions: snipes

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
In the last 3 seasons, Nurse/Jones are both top 15 in the league in average icetime per game. Pelech isn't top 100...

The difference here is that the Isles are a GOOD team and they can afford to spread the ice time as opposed to EDM n CBJ who needed to trot out their #1 for half a game.

Reactions: JBHockey

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
f***ing legendary video. Who in the hell has time to dig up all these highlights and edit them together? Wow.

I knew Pelech was good, but this video solidifies it even further.

The best part IMO is showing him with the puck (10:20 mark). It shows how skilled he is at times looking like a Harlem Globe Trotter.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY

Just because Pelech isn't playing 30 minutes a night and logging 40+ points, doens't mean he isn't capable of playing those minutes and chipping in offense. Trotz rotates 3 pairings fairly close to evenly 5v5.

Adam Pelech and Ryan Pulock are tasked with shutting down the other teams top player(s). And they are as effective at it as any pairing in the NHL, if not better.

Reactions: Olliemets

ABCUser

Mar 9, 2016
Bro.. I'm going to type a response to you and idc if it gets deleted as long as YOU see it.

Who gives a f*** about Tavares? Seriously. Who? Certainly not Lou Lamoriello who is too busy you know.... building a hockey team.

Remember, if even one poster mentions the Leafs in any way, that fan base is obsessed with them. Who cares about the Pelech signing, Islander fans only care about what Leaf fans think. It's strange and you would think those Leafs fans would be way more humble. I'm guessing the intelligent Leaf fan hates it until they actually win something first.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Goes into a thread about Pelech, comes away reading about how the Isles miss Tavares.

Par for the course.

The last few weeks I've been using the search feature trying to find any Islanders rumors (Search - "Islanders"). Its hilarious how many hits come from the Leafs board. Some of their fans are so obsessed with the Islanders and Lou Lamoriello it's borderline sick. What makes it worse is they claim the Islander board is obsessed with them and John Tavares.

hockeyisles

Jul 29, 2021
Just because Pelech isn't playing 30 minutes a night and logging 40+ points, doens't mean he isn't capable of playing those minutes and chipping in offense. Trotz rotates 3 pairings fairly close to evenly 5v5.

Adam Pelech and Ryan Pulock are tasked with shutting down the other teams top player(s). And they are as effective at it as any pairing in the NHL, if not better.

Absolutely, Nurse is fine but but I’ll take Pelech at $5.75M over Nurse every time, and with Klefbom and Larsson gone it looks like Duncan Keith will have to join Nurse and play 30 minutes a night too.

Last edited:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
The difference here is that the Isles are a GOOD team and they can afford to spread the ice time as opposed to EDM n CBJ who needed to trot out their #1 for half a game.
Hedman also plays 25 minutes a game. Weird argument. Columbus has had some real solid D-men like Werenski and Savard for example. In contrast I don't the Isles has the strongest defensive lineup, for example the guy logging the most minutes on the D is apparently an awful player who has greatly declined, is a liability and a cap dump (Leddy).
I'm pretty sure if Pelech was a better player he would play more and produce more - he is a 2nd pairing D-man and should not be compared to top pairing d-men.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Hedman also plays 25 minutes a game. Weird argument. Columbus has had some real solid D-men like Werenski and Savard for example. In contrast I don't the Isles has the strongest defensive lineup, for example the guy logging the most minutes on the D is apparently an awful player who has greatly declined, is a liability and a cap dump (Leddy).
I'm pretty sure if Pelech was a better player he would play more and produce more - he is a 2nd pairing D-man and should not be compared to top pairing d-men.

No where in this post do you bring up anything about Pelech based on his actual play.

You’ve determined his ability based on his playing time compared to his teammates and other players around the league.

I just want to point out that this same approach is what many people take towards the Islanders in general. But it is also why the Islanders are routinely outperforming on their expectations and/or predictions.

I won’t try to convince you on how good a player Pelech is. But if you spent watching at least a 20 game block of Islanders hockey the past 2 years you should be able to come away with at least…

1) Pelech is essentially the foundation player to the Isles game plan. He’s the identity player for the defense.

2) Trotz firmly believes in player roles and balancing minutes throughout his lineup.

3) Leddy got the majority of PP point time. Would often get stuck on the ice due to turnovers from forecheck pressure.

Last edited:

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
3) Leddy got the majority of PP point time. Would often get stuck on the ice due to turnovers from forecheck pressure.

*would get consistently caught out of position when not on the PP leading to scoring chances for the opposition.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
No where in this post do you bring up anything about Pelech based on his actual play.

You’ve determined his ability based on his playing time compared to his teammates and other players around the league.
I mean icetime/production/etc. are hugely important when talking about contracts, which is what this is about.
It's just a flawed comparison between Pelech and Jones/Nurse because Pelech has never once had to be that #1 guy who plays in all situations. He's got his role and he does it well, but of course those types of players get paid less than players who have proven they can at least to some extent handle being 25 minute a game all-situations d-men.

hockeyisles

Jul 29, 2021
I mean icetime/production/etc. are hugely important when talking about contracts, which is what this is about.
It's just a flawed comparison between Pelech and Jones/Nurse because Pelech has never once had to be that #1 guy who plays in all situations. He's got his role and he does it well, but of course those types of players get paid less than players who have proven they can at least to some extent handle being 25 minute a game all-situations d-men.
I call bull spit, like Nurse has done this once in his career. It’s not like he’s proven he can do it year after year. If he gets injured this year trying to do it again, then what? The Oilers are in a world of hurt, that’s what. Your opinion is insane and puts players in greater risk of injury

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

True, he doesn’t play power play at all. So it’s true he doesn’t play ALL situations. I agree with you that it’s fair to say he’s not a direct comparable to some of the d-man you provided as examples.

But he does draw the toughest competition and majority of defensive zone starts every game. He is exceptional at that aspect of the game. But what’s also important to keep in mind is that aspect of his game, is also the identity of who the Isles are. So he’s the best at what the Isles (a highly successful team by record) do best.

I think you're getting a lot of arguments from Isles fans because you’re relying on data (minutes played, points scored) and falling into the easy narrative (must be your run-of-the-mill top four defensive Dman).

Anyone who watched the Isles at length these playoffs (and is being honest with themselves) can’t deny how impactful he truly is. Every media person who covered the Isles these playoffs, sung his praises. Eliotte Friedman even mentioned that he erred in not giving him Norris consideration.

Last edited:

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
It's kinda silly to knock Pelech for not playing more imo. Every coach/team distributes ice time differently, and Pelech isn't a power play guy. Doesn't change the fact that he's one of the better guys in the league at the "defense" part of being a defenseman

Not to mention he was within 25 seconds of average ES ice time for Leddy/Pulock... maybe, just maybe, they preferred to save him for penalty killing and shutdown duty... :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad