Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Adam Pelech signs extension (8 years, $5.75M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DougGlattSuperFan

Jun 10, 2021
It's kinda silly to knock Pelech for not playing more imo. Every coach/team distributes ice time differently, and Pelech isn't a power play guy. Doesn't change the fact that he's one of the better guys in the league at the "defense" part of being a defenseman

Not to mention he was within 25 seconds of average ES ice time for Leddy/Pulock... maybe, just maybe, they preferred to save him for penalty killing and shutdown duty... :dunno:

If only the Isles took more penalties so they could give Pelech the ice time needed to prove his worth

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Hedman also plays 25 minutes a game. Weird argument. Columbus has had some real solid D-men like Werenski and Savard for example. In contrast I don't the Isles has the strongest defensive lineup, for example the guy logging the most minutes on the D is apparently an awful player who has greatly declined, is a liability and a cap dump (Leddy).
I'm pretty sure if Pelech was a better player he would play more and produce more - he is a 2nd pairing D-man and should not be compared to top pairing d-men.

I think the flaw in your argument is that since Pelech doesn't get PP time, that's going to impact his overall ice time per game. That doesn't mean he's any less of a top pairing guy than the ones who do get an additional 3-4 minutes (or more) on the PP to bump their ice time up to 24-25 minutes.

Look at a guy like Marc-Edouard Vlasic. At his "peak" he was arguably considered the top defensive defenseman in the league. Now look at his average ice time per game most of those years during his prime. The most he ever averaged in a season was a career high 23:54, but typically he was getting somewhere in the 20 to 22 minutes per night range. Was he not as important to the Sharks' defense as Brent Burns because he was getting 21 minutes per night while Burns was logging 24+ minutes per night?

#1D who don't play on the PP are always going to lag behind #1D who do because they'll play the same (or more) defensive situations, but without the extra 4+ minutes of PP time to pad their averages.

PolishPrince21

Mar 4, 2015
LI
I think the flaw in your argument is that since Pelech doesn't get PP time, that's going to impact his overall ice time per game. That doesn't mean he's any less of a top pairing guy than the ones who do get an additional 3-4 minutes (or more) on the PP to bump their ice time up to 24-25 minutes.

Look at a guy like Marc-Edouard Vlasic. At his "peak" he was arguably considered the top defensive defenseman in the league. Now look at his average ice time per game most of those years during his prime. The most he ever averaged in a season was a career high 23:54, but typically he was getting somewhere in the 20 to 22 minutes per night range. Was he not as important to the Sharks' defense as Brent Burns because he was getting 21 minutes per night while Burns was logging 24+ minutes per night?

#1D who don't play on the PP are always going to lag behind #1D who do because they'll play the same (or more) defensive situations, but without the extra 4+ minutes of PP time to pad their averages.
Well said

Konk

Mar 11, 2008

Isles success must be reeeeaaaal modest.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

At the end of the day guys who put up numbers get paid the big $. Same for forwards or D fair or not. Nurse just got paid because he put up more goals than Pelech had points.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
At the end of the day guys who put up numbers get paid the big $. Same for forwards or D fair or not. Nurse just got paid because he put up more goals than Pelech had points.

To clarify, my posts weren't even necessarily in regards to the Pelech/Nurse signings debate. It was more about the idea that Pelech's ice time being less than players who get PP time suggests he's not a top pairing defender like they are.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
To clarify, my posts weren't even necessarily in regards to the Pelech/Nurse signings debate. It was more about the idea that Pelech's ice time being less than players who get PP time suggests he's not a top pairing defender like they are.
Ok yeah I agree there’s no question he’s a top pair guy but he’s not an all situations #1 guy I think that’s fair to say. Offence is hugely important and something that’s harder to teach.

hockeyisles

Jul 29, 2021
no need to defend your posts here Sid, youare an Honorary Islander board member because youre honest and all-around good guy.....now if we could only get ChrisK to take lessons from you

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
That argument some merit, but not enough to cover the gap. Tyson Barrie just put up all the points and didn't get paid lots. Miro Heiskanen didn't put up big numbers and got a pretty big rfa contract.

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
This seems like a good deal. I like Adam whenever I see him play.
…but now he’ll have to shave everyday.

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
Huh? This makes no sense. Would you rather have Nurse at $9mm or Pelech at $5.75?

I think this is why it's such a good contract. He's a better defenseman than Nurse and will be paid half as much. That in my books is a great contract.
I would much rather have Pelican, but he’s paid ~2/3 as much.

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
Have probably only seen him 3 games in his career in the two Tampa conference finals series. Can anyone fill me in on why he's so valuable?

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
That argument some merit, but not enough to cover the gap. Tyson Barrie just put up all the points and didn't get paid lots. Miro Heiskanen didn't put up big numbers and got a pretty big rfa contract.
Barrie is an offensive defenseman with major defensive deficiencies. Barrie was underpaid according to Evolving Wild’s model, he got 3 years/4.5m and their model had it 3 years at 6.14m. His defensive issues likely limited the demand for his services.

They Heiskanen got 8 years/8.45m and Evolving Wild had him at 8 years/8.539m. He turned 22 in July, this contract locks up him until he’s 30. The assumption is he’ll likely produce more and he’s already outproducing Pelech.

Evolving Wild had Pelech with 8 years at 5.658m so 8 years/5.75m wasn’t a shockingly low bargain. Offense is a big part of salary.

The deal benefits both sides. Pelech will be 27 in August, he’s better off locking up his long-term money now and this is the only way to get 8 years.

The deal is good for the Isles, there’s no trade clauses and it’s straight salary so there no signing bonuses that would effect a buy out at the end. It’s would be easy enough to dump later on if Pelech’s play drops off.

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
Barrie is an offensive defenseman with major defensive deficiencies. Barrie was underpaid according to Evolving Wild’s model, he got 3 years/4.5m and their model had it 3 years at 6.14m. His defensive issues likely limited the demand for his services.

They Heiskanen got 8 years/8.45m and Evolving Wild had him at 8 years/8.539m. He turned 22 in July, this contract locks up him until he’s 30. The assumption is he’ll likely produce more and he’s already outproducing Pelech.

Evolving Wild had Pelech with 8 years at 5.658m so 8 years/5.75m wasn’t a shockingly low bargain. Offense is a big part of salary.

The deal benefits both sides. Pelech will be 27 in August, he’s better off locking up his long-term money now and this is the only way to get 8 years.

The deal is good for the Isles, there’s no trade clauses and it’s straight salary so there no signing bonuses that would effect a buy out at the end. It’s would be easy enough to dump later on if Pelech’s play drops off.
Did they have a projection for Nurse? I was just saying that there was a discrepancy in what Nurse and Pelech were getting paid, and that only using points to account for it wasn't enough.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Evolving Hockey had Pelech at 5.66 over 8 years. Nurse's projections was 8.33.

I'm still not seeing how this was a steal. It was more of a fairly paid deal for a good player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad