GDT: NY Islanders @ Ottawa Senators | 5:30PM | TV TSN5 / RDS2 and TSN 1200 | The Daniel Alfredsson HHOF Spectacular

Puikiou

Oct 15, 2013
Same chorus post-game.

Everyone played great. The other team defended well/got the bounces. If we perform like this every night, we'll win more often than not. Things will be fine. Their goalie made the saves.

Bottom line: A ''system'' that consistently produces the same result, regardless of personnel, for four years in row sucks. We lost. Again. With 15 games games played, the Arizona Coyotes have more wins than the Ottawa Senators. One team is in the midst of a deep rebuild, the other is coming out of one. It's a sick joke.

camZ

Jan 28, 2021
Same chorus post-game.

Everyone played great. The other team defended well/got the bounces. If we perform like this every night, we'll win more often than not. Things will be fine. Their goalie made the saves.

Bottom line: A ''system'' that consistently produces the same result, regardless of personnel, for four years in row sucks. We lost. Again. With 15 games games played, the Arizona Coyotes have more wins than the Ottawa Senators. One team is in the midst of a deep rebuild, the other is coming out of one. It's a sick joke.
When are we going to get over the fact that “if we play like this, we’ll win more often then not” which DJ uses every post game interview, is not the truth. We’ve yet to get results in DJs 4 years.

Went to my first game this season tonight, I don’t miss any Sens games on tv, and as optimistic as we want to be with the chances we generate, we’re even worse in person. Embarassing the lack of progression on the PP, the transition is brutal at all times but hey we generated chances!!

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Same chorus post-game.

There's not much else the players can say but these captions are getting so f***ing tiresome.

snes.png

Reactions: NB613

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
PP is playing to much perimeter and over passing, need traffic in front of the net.

Not enough forechecking or checking!

Defense is giving too much time and space.

Everyone looking for fancy plays.

Individual effort not team efforts.

Not liking the line combos but injuries are handicapping the options.

4th line is horrible, send them all to the AHL. Kelly is not a NHL'er, Watson is no longer a NHL'er.

Goaltending needs to steal some games for us.

This feels like ground day for the past 3 years with DJ.

Am not a happy camper!

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
I wonder if using Hamonic on the powerplay is worth a gamble. He's got by far the heaviest shot on the blueline, and Chabot/Sanderson/Brannstrom are simply not a threat whatsoever to shoot (especially Chabot). That makes it way easier for other teams to defend.

Not saying it's ideal, but it's not like the Chara and Souray types were elite playmakers. They didn't need to be.

Worth a shot for a game or two. Can't really be any worse.

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
I wonder if using Hamonic on the powerplay is worth a gamble. He's got by far the heaviest shot on the blueline, and Chabot/Sanderson/Brannstrom are simply not a threat whatsoever to shoot (especially Chabot). That makes it way easier for other teams to defend.

Not saying it's ideal, but it's not like the Chara and Souray types were elite playmakers. They didn't need to be.

He does have a strong shot, which is sorely lacking. Wouldn't hurt to try him out.

Reactions: Alex1234

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
The thing about the 5-on-5 stats that keep getting posted is that we haven’t won a game due to our even strength play since probably Arizona in Game 5 of the season. I’d say our last two wins (Dallas and Philly) were due to special teams.

Every game we have solid 5-on-5 play in our PK and PP are absolutely horrid, such as tonight. And Islanders are bottom 5 in the league at even strength so it’s not some major accomplishment.

Reactions: Alex1234

sensens

Jun 11, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
If you disregard EN goals for and against, they've gone 1-9-1 in one-goal games. They're also now 1-8-1 in games where the other team scores more than two goals against them. Meanwhile, they're top-10 in GF/GP, top-10 in PP%, top-10 in Face Off %, middle of the league in goal differential, and their top-6 have outproduced the Leafs' top-6 after the first 15GP of the season. Yet they're in the bottom-5 of the league in actual win/loss results.

"Meaningful games" apparently meant something different than we were all expecting.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
pretty textbook.

i was seriously worried for a bit that we weren't going to lose by only one goal (not incl EN) but then chucky and claude stepped up thank god

Reactions: Flamingo

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
We needed to fix our D core in the offseason and we didn't do it...we are what we are...
Even if we did add a top 4 RHD in the offseason, we'd still be playing last night without our top pair, not a lot of teams fair well in that situation and we played a pretty solid game.

I'm not convinced the roster is the main issue, there are areas that could be improved, but we certainly have a better roster than our record would suggest.

Reactions: Emrasie and NB613

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Tkatchuk and bath together work.

Debrincat stutzle and giroux looked goood against vegas after being inexplicably separated on the last day of camp because of what can only be described as a hunch.

Stop stacking one line with all the guys that are going

ksens

Mar 8, 2006

One of the things that has stood out even more when watching the team live is the lack of any heavy shot from the backend. I'm not a fan of Hamonic at all but the one thing he has that nobody else on the backend seems to have is a slapshot.

It is pretty hard to get our forwards on the hash marks open looks on the power play when the defending team doesn't have to worry about a shot from the point being a threat. They're defending the right and left hash instead and the only time our forwards ever get a good look is when someone manages a seam pass through the high slot which is never easy.

Reactions: DrEasy

atmx093

STUDzle
Jul 2, 2014
Gatineau
Good thing Sorokin wasn't filling as G for the Isles yesterday. This would have been a 4-0 game.
PP sucks.. Dump and chase silliness still.. Gah! DJ needs to go so bad.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
At this point it may be prudent to look at this as a development year for the likes of Sanderson, Pinto, JBD et al. Maybe Greig can get some run at some point to see what we have in him. Lassi as well.

I doubt Pierre has the balls (or the humility) to explore trading DeBrincat but he should do so. His value is only going to get lower from here and there is a 0% chance this team makes any noise before his contract is up.

Reactions: gab6511

camZ

Jan 28, 2021
One of the things that has stood out even more when watching the team live is the lack of any heavy shot from the backend. I'm not a fan of Hamonic at all but the one thing he has that nobody else on the backend seems to have is a slapshot.

It is pretty hard to get our forwards on the hash marks open looks on the power play when the defending team doesn't have to worry about a shot from the point being a threat. They're defending the right and left hash instead and the only time our forwards ever get a good look is when someone manages a seam pass through the high slot which is never easy.
I don’t know the stats but we have to be the team with the least amount of shots from our D or player on the blue line in the PP. That threat is simply not there for even a wrist shot, it’s unbelievable. I was at the game last night and it’s even more clear in person that the d man is simply just a passing decoy and nothing else

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
We needed to fix our D core in the offseason and we didn't do it...we are what we are...
Chychrun was an offseason target for nearly the entire summer. He hasn't played a game yet so what would have changed? Not a lot of teams will look very good when their #1 and #2 dmen are out for the same game.

Shows you how much this team misses Norris and his shot on the PP. He fundamentally altered the defensive alignments on opposing team penalty kills and opened up the other side of the ice for guys to do whatever they want. 16 PPG in 66 games last year is virtually impossible to replicate or replace by committee.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Tkatchuk and bath together work.

Debrincat stutzle and giroux looked goood against vegas after being inexplicably separated on the last day of camp because of what can only be described as a hunch.

Stop stacking one line with all the guys that are going

I remember DeBrincat being asked about playing with Stutzle in preseason. He said something along the lines of Stu liking to hold onto the puck. It looked to me like DeBincat preferred a center that moved the puck around more readily, and DJ accommodated him.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I remember DeBrincat being asked about playing with Stutzle in preseason. He said something along the lines of Stu liking to hold onto the puck. It looked to me like DeBincat preferred a center that moved the puck around more readily, and DJ accommodated him.
He played with Kane. I’m sure he’s okay with linemates holding the puck

Reactions: OD99

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad