GDT: NY Islanders @ Ottawa Senators | 5:30PM | TV TSN5 / RDS2 and TSN 1200 | The Daniel Alfredsson HHOF Spectacular

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Redo that whole bottom 6 man, need some depth scoring.

Tkachuk-Stutzle-Batherson
Debrincat-Giroux-Greig
Motte-Pinto-Sokolov
Reinhart-Kastelic-Crookshank

Joseph, Watson, Brassard and Kelly need to sit their asses down.

I didn’t mind our defence tonight.

Sanderson-Hamonic
Braanstrom-JBD
Holden-Thomson

Reactions: NB613 and Nevins

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
But that should be our advantage lol. They stick a guy there. Other things should be open. But nobody moves.

Feel bad for Kastelic dragging around kelly and watson.
Islanders have a really strong PK, they did a really good job of getting in lanes. Credit where its due.

That said, I thought there were some positives on the PP, for the most part we got set up quickly. We maintained possession in there end and recovered lose pucks to keep the pressure on, and we created some quality chances outside of that last PP in the third. We didn't get the seam passes that we like to set up though, and I agree we were too static in general.

Reactions: Emrasie

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Islanders have a really strong PK, they did a really good job of getting in lanes. Credit where its due.

That said, I thought there were some positives on the PP, for the most part we got set up quickly. We maintained possession in there end and recovered lose pucks to keep the pressure on, and we created some quality chances outside of that last PP in the third. We didn't get the seam passes that we like to set up though, and I agree we were too static in general.

It also seems like we don't have two forwards collapsing towards the crease after the shot. Pageau scored his goal while he and a teammate were lined up like a row of foosball players.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I was gonna come on here and say tonight was a statement game from stutzle because he played horrible but still put up a multi point game and that’s a good sign. But people think he was good so

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
DJ will never coach a team that works as hard as he needs it too to win consistently. It’s just way too much dump and chase and constant hammering around the boards. No team can keep it up for 82 games.

Yep. Dump and chase should've been left in the 1990s. It really doesn't work with todays game, unless you have (by a significant margin) the fastest team in the league (which we don't).

Reactions: Emrasie

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Yep. Dump and chase should've been left in the 1990s. It really doesn't work with todays game, unless you have (by a significant margin) the fastest team in the league (which we don't).
Sometimes we don’t even chase. It’s just to get ride of the puck. Our d doesn’t turn around a keep possession. It’s just slapped back in.

Norris4Norris

Jul 13, 2022
Sometimes we don’t even chase. It’s just to get ride of the puck. Our d doesn’t turn around a keep possession. It’s just slapped back in.
That was, in part, why Karlsson was such an awesome defencemen. He would quarterback everything beautifully and dance back if it didn't work and immediately send another ridiculous pass through the offensive blue line.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
That was, in part, why Karlsson was such an awesome defencemen. He would quarterback everything beautifully and dance back if it didn't work and immediately send another ridiculous pass through the offensive blue line.
This looks like coaches orders. Slap the puck very hard so the forward on the opposite side can bang bodies

Reactions: Norris4Norris

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
This was one of the better efforts no doubt. Other than the Florida trip theu played teams pretty even I thought.

All those games came down to a mistake or not executing. Could have easily flipped some of those losses to wins or atleast grabbed a point.
Could they have “easily” done it? Nevermind the results for a second, there are so any games where they have a late game PP or pull the goalie for the next attacker and they don’t look dangerous at all. There are so many points that have been left on the table because of wasted oppurtunities.

camZ

Jan 28, 2021
Was at the game tonight but had my 3 year old with me so not paying super close attention.

Branny had another great game with elevated minutes (yes there’s still mistakes, but with chabot out he gets a next shift, unlike other games where he’s stapled to the bench)

PP is a 1 trick pony, downlow to goal line pass to slot quickly is the only option. Our d man or who ever is at the point NEVER shoots the puck, I don’t get it, I don’t think we had 1 shot from the point.

When isles took the highsticking 4 min penalty it was just after a 1:30 second shift on the pp, they changed Sandy out for giroux and kept the other 4 on the ice( yes they scored but is that not a little odd to give them the next shift? )

Our 4th line is actually effective in the O zone for most part, watson struggling with speed of game, but man oh man when they are in their own zone they have to be the worst line in the league, Kelly and watson look so lost.

Hamonic always seems to be the d that gets the open look on 3 on 2 or in o zone and can never hit the net. He and forget who also bobbled the puck like 5 times In a row late in 3rd at our blue line ( barely any pressure) and then got crushed into boards and hurt his shoulder.

Timmy is trying to do too much, he’s hanging onto the puck way to much right now, overhandling 100%

Reactions: NB613

jake1

Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
I know everyone has injuries, but if someone told you before the season the D TOI would be led by Sanderson (25), Brannstrom (22) and JBD (18), you wouldn't be thinking win. Maybe in three years, but not 2022.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Some quick comments:

- Brannstrom needs to be on PP1, not with Brassard and co. Love Sanderson, but his passes weren't crisp tonight and cost us some opportunities especially on the PP.

- Where we missed Chabot the most tonight was in transition. Lots of bad passes and turnovers tonight.

Reactions: NB613 and Alex1234

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad