GDT: NY Islanders @ Ottawa Senators | 5:30PM | TV TSN5 / RDS2 and TSN 1200 | The Daniel Alfredsson HHOF Spectacular

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
But that should be our advantage lol. They stick a guy there. Other things should be open. But nobody moves.

Feel bad for Kastelic dragging around kelly and watson.
Ya, I guess you got to mix things up from time to time so it's not so predictable. The passes don't get through the seam a lot unfortunately it seems.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
End a losing streak, immediatey start another. Wow this reminds me of…every season under DJ Smith.

Zero killer instinct. Can’t capitalize on an an oppurtinistic PP and conpletely useless with the goalie pulled. There’s too much offensive talent on this team for that.
Yes, I think not being opportunistic is a good way to describe it. We had so many power plays last night that I lost count (8?), yet only scored once with the 2-man advantage.

I looked at stats and we are 12th in PP%, so that's better than I anticipated. We are also 14th in PP Goals For. But, having said that, we can't seem to get a PP goal when we really need one.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Yes, I think not being opportunistic is a good way to describe it. We had so many power plays last night that I lost count (8?), yet only scored once with the 2-man advantage.

I looked at stats and we are 12th in PP%, so that's better than I anticipated. We are also 14th in PP Goals For. But, having said that, we can't seem to get a PP goal when we really need one.
I thought last night we looked calm. Which is more than I can say ever. Maybe we have turned a very small corner.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I wonder if using Hamonic on the powerplay is worth a gamble. He's got by far the heaviest shot on the blueline, and Chabot/Sanderson/Brannstrom are simply not a threat whatsoever to shoot (especially Chabot). That makes it way easier for other teams to defend.

Not saying it's ideal, but it's not like the Chara and Souray types were elite playmakers. They didn't need to be.

Worth a shot for a game or two. Can't really be any worse.
He definitely has the heaviest shot. Id give it a go on the 2nd unit. He isnt scared to shoot either which is a good thing. This is something that Thomson could help with but he apparently has played very poorly. Its too bad because why not try him at this point. Season is lost may as well give these guys a chance. Some players play better in the NHL than AHL due to the structure.

In regards to the game just feels like groundhog day. Team finds a way to lose. I have to say I really do think these guys need an old school type of coach that is willing to bench players if they take shifts and plays off. Being at the majority of games you start to see certain habits that are just not ok. Especially when they play a team like the Islanders who have such an amazing commitment to defense and are so incredibly detailed oriented. If a puck is ever turned over all 5 guys react really quickly. They slam on the breaks and dig in to get back into position. Saw it a bunch of times last night.

The sens are not doing that. Some really lazy plays by a few of the young stars last night away from the puck that are just unnaceptable. Seems to me like the coachs voice is not getting through to a few of the players.

I think that no player should feel safe in their position right now. Id be telling everyone in Bellville that jobs are up for grabs. If you get called up and play well you will stay. Create some internal competition and fear.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I remember DeBrincat being asked about playing with Stutzle in preseason. He said something along the lines of Stu liking to hold onto the puck. It looked to me like DeBincat preferred a center that moved the puck around more readily, and DJ accommodated him.
im sre DBC would rather play with Stuztle than Pinto

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
PP is playing to much perimeter and over passing, need traffic in front of the net.

Not enough forechecking or checking!

Defense is giving too much time and space.

Everyone looking for fancy plays.

Individual effort not team efforts.

Not liking the line combos but injuries are handicapping the options.

4th line is horrible, send them all to the AHL. Kelly is not a NHL'er, Watson is no longer a NHL'er.

Goaltending needs to steal some games for us.

This feels like ground day for the past 3 years with DJ.

Am not a happy camper!

Talbot literally just did against Philly

I couldn't predict the team's record after 15 games but this is pretty much like I expected

- This team can't play efficient NHL "team defense", coaching just doesn't have it
- Bottom-6 is terrible
- Blueline lacks experience, emphasized by Chabot and Zub being out

I know the "summer of Pierre" and everything got a lot of press and yes signing Giroux was great (thankfully he's from the area and wants to retire here), dumping Murray's contract for not too much was also a very good move (not sure why Dubas thought Murray would stop being injury-prone, unless he wanted him as a LTIR contract?) and getting DeBrincat for a good price in a buyers market was also great but what should have been done :

- Cave in to Nick Paul demands. He's a rock and makes any line much harder to play against

- By keeping Paul, then Connor Brown is still happy so you keep him until either the deadline (if forward group is healthy and a young guy like Greig is ready to make an impact) or after the season. With a most likely diminished production, you might even have been able to re-sign him at around the same price

- Don't spend a 3rd and 3.0 AAV on Hamonic. Needed a more solid veteran even if it would cost a bit more in terms of assets and AAV. We should have kept DeMelo all the way

Result :

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
DeBrincat - Stutzle - Giroux
Paul - Pinto - Brown
Crookshank - Kastelic - Motte
Watson

Chabot - DeMelo
Brannstrom - Zub
Sanderson - JBD
Holden

Some people honestly seem fine with mediocrity.

Its just bad luck. 6 straight years of that same stuff

I wish we were mediocre (which is close to average). What we've been for 6 years is a bottom-3 team, and we are 29th right now

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
In regards to the game just feels like groundhog day. Team finds a way to lose. I have to say I really do think these guys need an old school type of coach that is willing to bench players if they take shifts and plays off. Being at the majority of games you start to see certain habits that are just not ok. Especially when they play a team like the Islanders who have such an amazing commitment to defense and are so incredibly detailed oriented. If a puck is ever turned over all 5 guys react really quickly. They slam on the breaks and dig in to get back into position. Saw it a bunch of times last night.
I agree with this. IIRC, the same thing happened with Paul MacLean in his time here. Great coach, nominated for the Jack Adams twice.

But after a while, the players need to fear their coach more than they fear losing.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I agree with this. IIRC, the same thing happened with Paul MacLean in his time here. Great coach, nominated for the Jack Adams twice.

But after a while, the players need to fear their coach more than they fear losing.

This is not what they need.

They need a coaching staff that will teach them the defensive side of the puck and how to play their roles properly inside efficient hockey systems

Reactions: Emrasie and OD99

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
This is not what they need.

They need a coaching staff that will teach them the defensive side of the puck and how to play their roles properly inside efficient hockey systems
That's not what they need. The systems are fine. The problem is poor puck management and risky plays.

• Haha
Reactions: Sensinitis

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
That's not what they need. The systems are fine.

200w.gif

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
Im watching Montreal being from the area.

Im sorry but how are they looking that much better than the Senators. I dont think the Habs are as bad as people think, but they arent as talented as the Senators roster, yet they look 100x times better

Not sure how someone can honestly watch this team play and say systems arent an issue.

Systems/setups absolutely are. PP stays the same and they force the bumper play, breakouts stay pathetic, flick it center ice for full speed free entries all day. In our zone collapse, leave the points open but also let the cross ice through the box go through.

A lof times 2 dmens below the goal line.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Im watching Montreal being from the area.

Im sorry but how are they looking that much better than the Senators. I dont think the Habs are as bad as people think, but they arent as talented as the Senators roster, yet they look 100x times better

Not sure how someone can honestly watch this team play and say systems arent an issue.

Systems/setups absolutely are. PP stays the same and they force the bumper play, breakouts stay pathetic, flick it center ice for full speed free entries all day. In our zone collapse, leave the points open but also let the cross ice through the box go through.

A lof times 2 dmens below the goal line.
I'm watching too. There was a sequence that NJ were attacking near the net and 5 habs were there not organise, then 2 seconds later, they all placed themselve in position and were back in a good defensive formation.

You never see that with the Sens. They are all over the place.

Also, you can see NJ skating with the puck with speed. Ottawa mostly have 2 or 3 forward already near the opponent blue line ready for a long pass.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
That's not what they need. The systems are fine. The problem is poor puck management and risky plays.
This systems are shite a been shite but I agree they need a feared coach. They need a guy with massive pedigree that makes them go “ oh thiiiiiis is what we need to do to win” and if we don’t do these things we’re not playing

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I'm watching too. There was a sequence that NJ were attacking near the net and 5 habs were there not organise, then 2 seconds later, they all placed themselve in position and were back in a good defensive formation.

You never see that with the Sens. They are all over the place.

Also, you can see NJ skating with the puck with speed. Ottawa mostly have 2 or 3 forward already near the opponent blue line ready for a long pass.
The games against New Jersey was scary. Their breakout was always looking for a pass. Tape to tape. Our defence were consult rimming the puck hoping for a chip out by the winger

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013

Well no the system is objectively stupid and similar to what we've been doing since time immemorial.

Collapsing to the net and waiting for a rebound or missed shot before attempting puck retrieval is dumb in an era where puck possession reigns supreme.

Our objectively bad system is unfortunately made worse by poor execution. So it's a really bad system when you add it all together.

Reactions: bert and Emrasie

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Some people honestly seem fine with mediocrity.

Its just bad luck. 6 straight years of that same stuff
I really doubt anyone is happy with the last 6 years. I think there's different ideas on how to fix the situation though. "Fixing it" is the tricky part and it could easily take more than one "magic bullet" move.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I did have a connection that was close to karlsson and he said that karlsson said Colin white was sick. This is when white just got there.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I did have a connection that was close to karlsson and he said that karlsson said Colin white was sick. This is when white just got there.
Well I guess we can rule out a job in scouting when his playing days are over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad