Post-Game Talk: Not enough horses, Jets lose 4-2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TEH FIRST NOEL

Jan 31, 2021
PAUL MAURICE'S LUGGAGE
So flipped things in this game: Wheeler got the goal and Dubois took the dumb penalty. And the lucky bounce.

We lost but it was fun to watch, in a crazy kind of exhilarating have-to-wash-your-hair-again in the morning sort of way. Winning the series would have been fantastic, but I won't be disheartened if we exit on Thursday in another well fought game.

it's like wearing one of those shock devices to "lose weight"

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Tampa came close game 2 and 3 and they are also down 3 to 1. It's hard to weather a number of key injuries.
Yep

We had one lucky bounce today but it didn’t make up for the bajillion lucky bounces Vegas has had

And our offensive workhorses are out. We in tough and winning 3 in a row doesn’t seem likely against this Vegas team. Cassidy makes it hard to have high quality danger shots

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
I still maintain that Hellebuyck needed to be rested more down the stretch.
If he was they would have missed the playoffs not that it would have been a frustrating as watching these past 2 games of close but no cigar.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Got to hand it to Wheeler, he’s giving it everything he’s got.
Lowry as well. He was a beast and is a natural leader.
Yes, we’ve had a lot of injuries, but this team has been inconsistent all year. I hope Chevy doesn’t use this as an excuse to try again. I think we all knew that everything had to go perfectly in order to make this a long playoff run. And Helle had to be in Vezina form, which he hasn’t been.
Personally, I hope it’s a busy summer for the Jets.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
The biggest question is whether his shoulder will be able to handle all the vigorous hand shaking after game 5.
crying-laughing.gif

None

Feb 22, 2012
If he was they would have missed the playoffs not that it would have been a frustrating as watching these past 2 games of close but no cigar.

Yeah, the conundrum of missing the playoffs if he didn't play as much as he did or fizzling out because he can't backstop our porous team the way we know he needs to for them to have a shot.

Some might point to the GM for failing to find an adequate backup that could take another 10-15 games off of Hellebuyck's shoulders.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Yeah, the conundrum of missing the playoffs if he didn't play as much as he did or fizzling out because he can't backstop our porous team the way we know he needs to for them to have a shot.

Some might point to the GM for failing to find an adequate backup that could take another 10-15 games off of Hellebuyck's shoulders.
I wish that just once we would be able to find a backup goalie that could play lights out in the playoffs.
;)

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012

Good point but the fact is this was not a playoff team. They got off to a great start, came back to earth and no decimated by injuries.
If that was Wheelers last playoff game here kudos to him for laying ot on line.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Good point but the fact is this was not a playoff team. They got off to a great start, came back to earth and no decimated by injuries.
If that was Wheelers last playoff game here kudos to him for laying ot on line.
I love how you claimed everyday that we weren't going to make the playoffs and even if we did it would only last 4 games in a steam roll, well we already exceeded your expectations and even with all these injuries we aren't getting steam rolled, we are a playoff team and had we not had these injuries we would very well be a head in the series against the #1 seed in the west

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Well boys and girls I hope this isn't the last NHL playoff game in Winnipeg for the year, or for a long time, but you can only describe this game as a courageous loss.

It didn't take long for the bell to toll again. Scheifele going down was a nail in this team's coffin.

I 100% respect the effort level of Blake Wheeler, he's had some struggles this year but this was a game where he showed some leadership.

I want to see the C on Adam Lowry next year.

PLD on the other hand...you can't take selfish penalties if you are called upon to be the leader of the team...A killer, and you saw the expression on Bones' face...what can you do if you are coach? I wish Dubois well, thankful for the flashes of stardom he has shown, but I think he's ready to mail it in, and move on.

This series has reinforced my belief that Pionk is capable of some pretty special things on defense. Still defensively tenous, but he's a real battler, and his skating is something that can help this team. I have to say De Melo has shown me a lot, as a grizzled vet.

The youngish kids Barron and Samberg have bright futures.

Wonder if Logan Stanley gets to play another game as a Jet, or if it is time to give Ville Heinola a taste of playoff hockey. Doesn't seem to be the plan though, or he would have been practicing with the team today...

I'm ready to move on from Saku Maenalanen, he's a guy who hasn't stepped up in the playoffs.

I think the most frustrating part for me watching this game was Bones commitment to Kevin Stenlund as the de facto top 9 replacement. All game he did nothing, didn't win enough battles, didn't make enough plays. You noticed AJF out there, buzzing, and he is definitely fresh, yet coach ices him to watch Stenlund kill plays over and over again. I wasn't impressed by Bones coaching this game.

3 forward injuries, I guess 4 if you count Gagner's, is all it took to make Kevin Stenlund a top 9 player on this team, that's a testament to the Jets depth issues.

I wonder how many more games Connor Hellebuyck has left as a Jet. I am less convinced that he is a good investment on a long term contract, after this playoff. There were some key saves tonight though, just not enough of them.

It really sucks losing, and losing key talent at the most important time of the year.

I'm glad we got some playoff hockey this year, but this is going to be a pretty disappointing exit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad