Confirmed Trade: [NJD/CGY] Jacob Markstrom for Kevin Bahl, 2025 1st round pick (top 10 protected); Flames retain 31.25%

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Wouldn't hate him as well, the LD will get figured out. It's just how much they believe in Siegenthalar to play those top 4 mins with Dougie again or they bring someone else to play with Hamliton and push Siegs to the 3LD. Zadorov Hamliton would be such a goofy ass and chaotic pairing, I'm sure we wouldn't have to tell Flames fans that. :laugh::laugh:
I'm a fan of both.
Take it easy. :thumbd:

c4ryv.jpg
I've seen some of the best players ever as kids. Landon Dupont if his development continues will be better than Bobby Orr, Ray Bourque, Nick Lidstrom. I really mean it. He's the best player his age I've ever seen period and way better than Makar was at the same age and Makar was really good too.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
its not

but a number of flames fans were insistent they could get #7 or #10 and there would be a huge bidding war

I never thought they could get 10 for Markstrom, but if you’re willing to trade that pick, like, who else do you want?

Andersson? Weegar? Coleman? Coronato?

like, let’s make a deal, come on.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Ok someone explain it to me like I'm a Leafs fan.

Who owns next year's Florida or Flames pick?

I thought that somehow some way the Habs had the Flames pick and the Flames the Florida pick next year but that might be wrong.

So someone, explain what's up there
Short version.

• If Calgary finishes with a top 10 pick and Florida does not, Montreal gets Florida's pick (this is most likely).
  • If neither Calgary nor Florida's picks are top 10, Montreal gets the better of the 2 picks.
  • If both Florida and Calgary's picks are top 10, the Panthers keep their pick, and the Flames pick transfers to Montreal (unless it is #1 OA)

Dude said Markstrom struggled because he had a newborn like it’s normal for goalie to struggle when they had babies
My point was distractions, even the slightest one can make a goalies numbers suck because the difference between good and bad is razor thin. But you knew what I meant and just like to shit on the flames and their players every chance you get, like you have the past 2+ decades

Reactions: Nanuuk

SKNJD9

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Flames never got much for Markstom. That's going to be late pick. Dougie Hamilton be back next year plus adding Markstom. Then if Jersey deals 10th? Big improvement.

Markstom and Allen should give them solid duo in net. Allen decent backup.
I imagine 10 will be used for immediate help either a top 6 RW with term or a top 4 D with term. I expect a depth D and F added in UFA as well.

Fitzy has talked a bunch about adding depth and a bit of "violence" to the lineup.

If he hits it will be an interesting roster for sure

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Those 500 minutes Bahl played with Marino were pretty much first pairing minutes against opposition best lines.
And that's one of the reasons we sucked last season. They aren't first pairing D-men.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
And that's one of the reasons we sucked last season. They aren't first pairing D-men.
Every single Dman on our team was tasked with unreasonable asks in my opinion.

Luke played too much, Nemec played too much, Smith played to much, Bahl played too much

Siegenthaler had two injuries and was never right...

Marino had to be paired with children all season to face teams top lines and he really wasn't up to being an anchor Dman...we basically asked the guy to be a #1 and cover for his partner all season...but his pair wss the best defensively when Bahl was on it.

Our defense was a mess all year...and what made everything so much worse is our forwards liked to leave the Dzone early and weren't all that interested in Defense or even providing support to a crippled defense.

I'm not sure I would single Bahl out for anything negative or as a reason for the failure. It was a good team effort.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006

Luke played too much, Nemec played too much, Smith played to much, Bahl played too much

Marino had to be paired with children all season to face teams top lines and he really wasn't up to being an anchor Dman...we basically asked the guy to be a #1 and cover for his partner all season...but his pair wss the best defensively when Bahl was on it.

Our defense was a mess all year...and what made everything so much worse is our forwards liked to leave the Dzone early and weren't all that interested in Defense or even providing support to a crippled defense.

I'm not sure I would single Bahl out for anything negative or as a reason for the failure. It was a good team effort.

Exactly. In retrospect both Luke and Nemec should have been in Utica where they could have worked on their complete games (specifically the defensive part of the game - including PK) instead of just getting the cookies.

But that doesn't sell apparel or generate "buzz".

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Wierzbowski426

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I imagine 10 will be used for immediate help either a top 6 RW with term or a top 4 D with term. I expect a depth D and F added in UFA as well.

Fitzy has talked a bunch about adding depth and a bit of "violence" to the lineup.

If he hits it will be an interesting roster for sure
Jersey going to be top team next year

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Exactly. In retrospect both Luke and Nemec should have been in Utica where they could have worked on their complete games (specifically the defensive part of the game - including PK) instead of just getting the cookies.

I don't think Luke and Nemec should of been in the minors. But had we been more healthy they wouldn't have been relied so heavily. Luke was going to be starter no matter what and Nemec probably would've gotten anywhere between 15 and 30 games, maybe more, if we stayed relatively healthy.

I mean you have these extremely talented kids that needed to get NHL reps.... I just wish it was done in a more controlled manner. But injuries to Miller before the season even started, losing Dougie for basically the whole year, and Siegenthaler's broken foot and concussion really threw a monkey wrench into everything.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
I can't even begin to understand the mechanics of a guy playing the 6th most minutes among defenseman on a team, and having fans that never watched a minute of those games dying on the hill that he's actually one of that team's top-4 d-man. Incredibly weird.

Because with the Devils the name on the back of the jersey is more important than the name on the front.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Bahl isn't going to be much but Holtz ain't it either. Doesn't bring much other than a shot and gets pushed off the puck easily.

the full delulu
You could offer me 2 kevin bahls and 2 of NJDs 2025 1sts for 10th overall and it might be about even.

And so markstrom with 4 mill in total retention got about half of what Schneider got. Take away that retention, and what do you know.

Markstrom unretained's value was closer to 0 than it was to 10th overall.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024

Yeah I'm sure bringing up Hatakka and Misyul was the solution.

NJD could have saved their season with a dcore of

Kevin Bahl-JOhn marino
Jonas Siegenthaler-Brendan Smith
Santeri Hatakka-Daniel Misyul.

NHL experience is valuable. Both Luke and Nemec are FAR too good for the AHL.

Reactions: Zajacs Bowl Cut

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Flames going to have it tough next 7-8 years. They have 3 huge contracts that is not going to age well. They should do totally tear down. Bank a few Hagens type picks

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Flames going to have it tough next 7-8 years. They have 3 huge contracts that is not going to age well. They should do totally tear down. Bank a few Hagens type picks
We have Huberdeau. Kadri is probably movable. Weegar would have a line up out the door. The Huberdeau one is the only one that is bad. Wait it out while we rebuild and hopefully he goes ltir at some point. Maybe develop an equipment allergy like a certain Chicago winger.

• Haha
Reactions: Shark Finn

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
You could offer me 2 kevin bahls and 2 of NJDs 2025 1sts for 10th overall and it might be about even.

And so markstrom with 4 mill in total retention got about half of what Schneider got. Take away that retention, and what do you know.

Markstrom unretained's value was closer to 0 than it was to 10th overall.

Whatever you gotta tell yourself I guess
That NJD 2025 pick could be 11th overall for all we know.

You spent months posting that he wasn't worth anything, and now that it turns out he actually is worth something according to you it's only the retention that was worth anything. But yeah sure, basically future considerations :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Xirik

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards

Jim....this is legitimately a good post

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Whatever you gotta tell yourself I guess
That NJD 2025 pick could be 11th overall for all we know.

You spent months posting that he wasn't worth anything, and now that it turns out he actually is worth something according to you it's only the retention that was worth anything. But yeah sure, basically future considerations :laugh:
I don't know how many times I read that Markstrom is 100% not getting a 1st :laugh:

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I don't know how many times I read that Markstrom is 100% not getting a 1st :laugh:
Nice try. But it always was "That Markstrom isn't going to get a 2024 1st".

Guess Devils fans were right and by the way you asked for way more then 2024 1st

If anyone should be ashamed and embarrassed it should be you.

• Haha
Reactions: FLAMESFAN

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Nice try. But it always was "That Markstrom isn't going to get a 2024 1st".

Guess Devils fans were right and by the way you asked for way more then 2024 1st

If anyone should be ashamed and embarrassed it should be you.
I said it would be the 2025 1st and a prospect. The only Devils fan I saw that agreed with my assessment was Forge.

Reactions: FLAMESFAN

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
i didn’t expect there to be a 2025 first involved _and the trade to happen before the 2024 draft_

This is part of what made this seem weird to me. If the Devils weren’t under pressure to make a move involving a 2024 pick (which of course would have to be done before the 2024 draft) … I expected them to wait until after July 1, when they could compare what they’d have to give for Markstrom to what they would have to give for an extension-in-place Ullmark or for an extension-in-place Saros.

In my head it was “if they make a deal before the 2024 draft they’ll be giving up #10 in a huge deal with multiple relevant pieces; if they don’t make a deal before the 2024 draft they’ll be summer shopping for goalies with extensions and offering the 2025.”

That’s where this trade caught me off guard. If it was the 2025 in play there was no urgency to do it before this draft.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
i didn’t expect there to be a 2025 first involved _and the trade to happen before the 2024 draft_

This is part of what made this seem weird to me. If the Devils weren’t under pressure to make a move involving a 2024 pick (which of course would have to be done before the 2024 draft) … I expected them to wait until after July 1, when they could compare what they’d have to give for Markstrom to what they would have to give for an extension-in-place Ullmark or for an extension-in-place Saros.

In my head it was “if they make a deal before the 2024 draft they’ll be giving up #10 in a huge deal with multiple relevant pieces; if they don’t make a deal before the 2024 draft they’ll be summer shopping for goalies with extensions and offering the 2025.”

That’s where this trade caught me off guard. If it was the 2025 in play there was no urgency to do it before this draft.

I think there's a reasonable chance that they didn't want to be tied to either of those guys long term.

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I think there's a reasonable chance that they didn't want to be tied to either of those guys long term.
I think Saros was never really available too. Ullmark has never played a starters work load. You guys and Markstrom will be a great fit. Markstrom is good at high dangers and behind chaos. The odd softie goes in though, but he'll cover up a lot of defensive mistakes. Ullmark I think is less softies, but not as good at the high dangers.

Reactions: Forge

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad