Confirmed Trade: [NJD/CGY] Jacob Markstrom for Kevin Bahl, 2025 1st round pick (top 10 protected); Flames retain 31.25%

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
Ok someone explain it to me like I'm a Leafs fan.

Who owns next year's Florida or Flames pick?

I thought that somehow some way the Habs had the Flames pick and the Flames the Florida pick next year but that might be wrong.

So someone, explain what's up there

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

I thought that somehow some way the Habs had the Flames pick and the Flames the Florida pick next year but that might be wrong.

If the Flames pick is in the top 10 Montreal gets Florida's pick. If it's outside of the top 10 they get the Flames own pick.

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
If the Flames pick is in the top 10 Montreal gets Florida's pick. If it's outside of the top 10 they get the Flames own pick.
Ok so that's what I was confused about.

I thought the Habs had it no matter what because certain conditions had not been met

So it's still a toss up about who has which pick then based on standings at seasons end?

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Ok so that's what I was confused about.

I thought the Habs had it no matter what because certain conditions had not been met

So it's still a toss up about who has which pick then based on standings at seasons end?
Yes, if by some miracle we aren't picking top 10 that will be one costly 1 year dump of Monahan. I'd imagine Wolf will have a lot of Habs fans rooting for him to win the Vezina next year. That's the only way I see us not picking top 10.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
i disagree, mentally weak, aging goalie whos slow af
Their top goalies are Akira Schmid who is 24 and put up an .895 last year and Nico Daws who put up an .894 and is 23. Their other goaltender is Jake f***ing Allen who put up a .900. Unless you think Keith Kincaid is going to outperform Markstrom?

They had 4 goalies play 95% of the games and not a single one put up more than a .900.

Literally Markstrom at his worst on Calgary was still a better goaltender than NJ had.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I remember a lot of "Sharangovich sucks" posts. Perhaps I am mistaken that they were made by NJD fans. Maybe some other fans of teams like the Rangers or other teams where showing up and laughing at the deal?
i agree

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Still feels like the Devils defence is worse than it was when their goaltending was alright.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Terrible trade for the Devils. He was good once, but now? Giving up a first for him just isn't a good idea. What happens if he struggles next season? A first goes completely to waste. They should just have hired a goalie via UFA if this was the best trade available.

Their top goalies are Akira Schmid who is 24 and put up an .895 last year and Nico Daws who put up an .894 and is 23. Their other goaltender is Jake f***ing Allen who put up a .900. Unless you think Keith Kincaid is going to outperform Markstrom?

They had 4 goalies play 95% of the games and not a single one put up more than a .900.

Literally Markstrom at his worst on Calgary was still a better goaltender than NJ had.
Akira Schmid who put up .895 this past season, and .922 the season before, yes.

Also, just the previous season, Markström himself put up .892 and with that level of performance, he wouldn't even be an upgrade.

He's 34 and you're either banking on him to improve(good luck), or you're banking on him to replicate the last season's mediocre performance instead of the previous year's(good luck), all the while paying a first for two years of him.

It's just a terrible trade, no matter the way you slice it.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011

Here are the not at all convuluted conditions

conditional pick(s) (if Flames 2024 first is #20-32 then Canadiens have option to receive Flames 2024 first; or else: (A) if Panthers 2025 first transfers to Flames then (1) if both Flames and Panthers 2025 firsts are not in top 10 then Canadiens receive more favorable of Flames, Panthers picks; or (2) if Flames 2025 first is in top 10 and Panthers 2025 first is not in top 10 then Canadiens receive Panthers 2025 first; (B) if Panthers 2025 first does not transfer to Flames then (1) if Flames 2025 first is #1 overall then Canadiens receive Flames 2025 third and more favorable of Flames, Panthers 2026 firsts; or (2) if Flames 2025 first is #2-10 then Canadiens receive Flames 2025 first; or (3) if Flames 2025 first is not in top 10 then Canadiens receive Flames 2025 first and (a) if Panthers 2025 first is not in top 10 and (b) Panthers 2025 first has been transferred to another team and (c) Panthers 2025 first is more favorable than Flames then Canadiens receive Flames 2025 fourth)

• Wow
Reactions: QuizGuy66

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Question to Calgary fans - Has Markström declined or why has his numbers gone down?

Haven't seen him play in ages.
Do you think he can bounce back?

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
I agree with your assessment of the Devils fan base, I'd say almost 100% of them disagree with me. Doesn't change my opinion though. I think Casey will be a #5 and I think Bahl will be a #5. I just think there is more certainty on Bahl. I prefer Bahl. 99% of Devils fans thinking I'm wrong doesn't change that. Obviously I'd have preferred Holtz as the prospect, but I get that getting both a 1st and Holtz is a pretty significant return.

Kevin Bahl was one of the more underappreciated Devils - including by the front office. He will likely flourish in Calgary.

• Haha
Reactions: DFF

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Question to Calgary fans - Has Markström declined or why has his numbers gone down?

Haven't seen him play in ages.
Do you think he can bounce back?
He’ll have good games. Maybe even a good year but when you need to win, he’ll choke. He is inconsistent and mentally weak. When he loses his confidence, it’s over. It’s a long time for him to recover.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
2 years ago, this would of been trade of the year, now.. laughable...
-what happened to the new jersey devils... man... such an well run organization/machine once
now... its just a distant memory

cool logo, color scheme, hall of famers, star players, awesome role players, perfectly honed tactics, system, coaching, management
won stanley cups, was a contender... sigh

it was such a big club that it took just one of its players to get entire state of alaska join together and get psyched about hockey

Long story short, the team was sold to a series of ownership groups whose agendas have nothing to do with winning championships.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Kevin Bahl was one of the more underappreciated Devils - including by the front office. He will likely flourish in Calgary.

I'm sure he'll flourish in even more time on a way worse team when he's clearly shown he can't handle the minutes, your shtick is borderline tiring

Terrible trade for the Devils. He was good once, but now? Giving up a first for him just isn't a good idea. What happens if he struggles next season? A first goes completely to waste. They should just have hired a goalie via UFA if this was the best trade available.

Also, just the previous season, Markström himself put up .892 and with that level of performance, he wouldn't even be an upgrade.

He's 34 and you're either banking on him to improve(good luck), or you're banking on him to replicate the last season's mediocre performance instead of the previous year's(good luck), all the while paying a first for two years of him.

So what do you want the Devils to do? They stayed status quo last year after a good 22/23 and burned an entire year of their team's prime. There's nothing inherently wrong with this trade. The Devils make the playoffs and it's already a win. A mid first rounder is better than a playoff berth for this core? I swear people prospect coddle to no end on this website. And Schmid has been more bad than good in his career and that's coming from someone who still likes him but you can't just throw all your eggs in his basket. They arguably did that last year and got cranked in the head for it.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
It was a 1st and prospect. Not sure why I'd need to do anything except bask in the glow of always being right.

I'm excited for Vladar and Wolf next year. It's not going to be as good as Markstrom in a good year, but they can grow into it. With Markstrom in good forum we could have been sending our 1st at 11OA to Montreal. There is very little risk of that now.
Bahl is not a prospect and you claimed Casey or Holtz LOL

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
The value of this trade totally depends on where NJ finishes next season. Anywhere from 20-32 I’d say it’s a pretty even trade. If the Devils miss the playoffs again and the puck is 11-20 I’d say Calgary won.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
That 80% is either way off or a poor reflection on the judgment of a large segment of the fan base. Until proven otherwise, Casey is another Reilly Walsh; talented offensively but an undersized liability in his own end. Hope he proves me wrong. But Bahl is a capable NHL defender with size and mobility. He will flourish with the Flames.

the most on brand post from you, maybe ever. Good work!

2 years ago, this would of been trade of the year, now.. laughable...
-what happened to the new jersey devils... man... such an well run organization/machine once
now... its just a distant memory

cool logo, color scheme, hall of famers, star players, awesome role players, perfectly honed tactics, system, coaching, management
won stanley cups, was a contender... sigh

it was such a big club that it took just one of its players to get entire state of alaska join together and get psyched about hockey

Someone didn't watch the Devils goaltending in 2023-24

Markstrom was top 10 in the NHL in goals saved above expected last year.

He isn't a Vezina level goalie anymore, but he is an above average starter, which is exactly what they needed.

he stunk last year. You just like him because he is big.

Reactions: TS Quint

HellOnIce

Jun 28, 2007
Bahl is an NHL defenseman- and those are hard to come by, especially at his age. I think the value here for us Devils, if Marky puts up decent numbers and we make the playoffs - then I think no one is going to really care. Do I wish it didn't cost us a 1st? Yeah - but if it's the 25th pick next year, then I can live with that.

The retention is very helpful to us too, we have a lot of big contracts coming up - Luke, Nemec, Mercer - we'll need every dollar we can get.

From an asset/cap POV - if we can get .908+ goaltending for 6M with Allen/Marky/Daws/Schmid next year hopefully with a healthier team, better system, regression - then it's a good win.

If he sucks - well at least it's only two years and we can go after another goaltender. Both guys also put Schmid and/or Daws on the slow development and hopefully one of them regains confidence and comes out the other side as a bonafide goalie.

Reactions: RANDOMH3RO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad