Confirmed Trade: [NJD/CGY] Jacob Markstrom for Kevin Bahl, 2025 1st round pick (top 10 protected); Flames retain 31.25%

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
I always find it funny that when a team is looking to trade a player he is a perennial All-Star and then when a trade is completed he is somehow the worst player in the history of the NHL at his position.
I get this reference!

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
If Markstrom stays healthy and Hamilton is good to go, I think you'll see the NYI and NJD duking it out for whatever playoff position scraps are left at the end of the year.

Both will get dummied by Carolina in the first round as per usual, but one of them will be there nonetheless

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I always find it funny that when a team is looking to trade a player he is a perennial All-Star and then when a trade is completed he is somehow the worst player in the history of the NHL at his position.
Kind of funny after NJ fans have been all over these boards for 5 months talking about what a disaster he is.

Reactions: FLAMESFAN

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
If Markstrom stays healthy and Hamilton is good to go, I think you'll see the NYI and NJD duking it out for whatever playoff position scraps are left at the end of the year.

Both will get dummied by Carolina in the first round as per usual, but one of them will be there nonetheless
Canes going to look a bunch different this yr. Necas and Pesce gone, Guentzel back? Turbo back? Dont think so. Roll players like Noeson and Martinook may be off. Freddy? Yeah, ok. Is Skjej back or out?Rod is good with next man up but will be a different team

Reactions: Inno

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
IMO definitely yes because if you told me we got a 2nd and Bahl or a B prospect I’d be pissed, whereas 1st instead of the second makes all the difference. Trading a guy for a 1st vs. a 2nd is the difference between winning a trade and losing a trade. Unless you meant a prospect like Holtz, in which case it’s close, but I didn’t think you meant that cause you said Flames fans will be disappointed.

And I don't get labelling Bahl as a #6. He's 23, he has the same value as a B prospect aged 21-22 who has yet to crack a roster and probably has a 50% chance of being a career NHLer. I see Bahl as a solid #5 long-term.
6 not a 5

oh man if you liked that you are going to love the Luke Hughes play defense against top competition challenge
oh no we already know about that! But he's our modern day version of Niedermeyer (before coach taught him d side of game of course)

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
1000000096.gif

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
Don't think the Devils gave up much, but it feels like it was still too much. If all goes as the Devils hope then the pick is whatever and is more about the Flames scouting making the most of it. If the Devils miss the playoffs then they got bigger problems than losing a 11th-16th pick. Kevin Bahl is whatever, he hasn't been good, but he's still young so who knows what he can be.

I just hoped the Devils would have gone after Saros etc and put the 10thOA, Holtz, Casey etc on the table. But I guess he wasn't available and Ullmark is also a bit of a questionmark. I do hope Markström is as good as the flames fans say, but I'm pretty neutral about this deal.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Looks like we will finally see what all the hype on Dustin Wolf is all about when he plays 50 games next year. Will be interesting to see how he grows. Vladar is good for 30 games.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
This is why stat watching is wildly inaccurate.

In his first year with Calgary, Markstrom was their best player for 2/3 of the season and was derailed by a concussion. His second year he was a Vezina candidate. Third year he was bad, but also had a newborn baby at home. Last year he was far and away our best player, the team hung him out to dry all year and he still had a .915 SV% heading into the final couple months when the Flames traded 1/2 their top 4 defensemen, which were also their best 2 defensive defensemen.

Context matters. NJD saw this.
If context matter, you should have mentioned how he did in that Oilers series in that ‘great’ year. And he is not the first goalie in the NHL that had a baby lol

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
So what was the guarantee? You delete your account?
It was a 1st and prospect. Not sure why I'd need to do anything except bask in the glow of always being right.

Looks like we will finally see what all the hype on Dustin Wolf is all about when he plays 50 games next year. Will be interesting to see how he grows. Vladar is good for 30 games.
I'm excited for Vladar and Wolf next year. It's not going to be as good as Markstrom in a good year, but they can grow into it. With Markstrom in good forum we could have been sending our 1st at 11OA to Montreal. There is very little risk of that now.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
6 not a 5

oh no we already know about that! But he's our modern day version of Niedermeyer (before coach taught him d side of game of course)
Niedermeyer is a pretty lofty comparison. I like Hughes and think he'll be top pairing. I don't think he's going to be a 1st ballot hall of famer.

In regard to Bahl. Are you saying he's a 6 now or that's his ceiling? I agree he's a 6 now, but think he can get to a 5 slot.

Reactions: TS Quint

Accelleratii

Jul 25, 2010
Pennsylvania
This is why stat watching is wildly inaccurate.

In his first year with Calgary, Markstrom was their best player for 2/3 of the season and was derailed by a concussion. His second year he was a Vezina candidate. Third year he was bad, but also had a newborn baby at home. Last year he was far and away our best player, the team hung him out to dry all year and he still had a .915 SV% heading into the final couple months when the Flames traded 1/2 their top 4 defensemen, which were also their best 2 defensive defensemen.

Context matters. NJD saw this.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
The Devils got their goalie, and maybe he Bahls out. Got a felling they've been chasing him for a while, and maybe Bahl isn't a lot to give at all to get him. The Devils are probably expecting that pick to be high 20's. The only sus thing is firing Lindy and then going out for the tender he was likely wanting.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
What about Bahl versus Holtz? I almost like Bahl better for the Flames than Hotlz since they already have Coronato

That 80% is either way off or a poor reflection on the judgment of a large segment of the fan base. Until proven otherwise, Casey is another Reilly Walsh; talented offensively but an undersized liability in his own end. Hope he proves me wrong. But Bahl is a capable NHL defender with size and mobility. He will flourish with the Flames.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
The Devils got their goalie, and maybe he Bahls out. Got a felling they've been chasing him for a while, and maybe Bahl isn't a lot to give at all to get him. The Devils are probably expecting that pick to be high 20's. The only sus thing is firing Lindy and then going out for the tender he was likely wanting.
I think the Devils got the right goalie for the right amount of time. They gave up the right assets. This is a good deal for them. Markstrom will help them a lot. They just need one or the young guys to be ready in 2 years. I think they're a top 6 team in the east next year easily as long as they add one defenseman who can defend and make a pass.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
That 80% is either way off or a poor reflection on the judgment of a large segment of the fan base. Until proven otherwise, Casey is another Reilly Walsh; talented offensively but an undersized liability in his own end. Hope he proves me wrong. But Bahl is a capable NHL defender with size and mobility. He will flourish with the Flames.
I agree with your assessment of Casey. I'm not crazy in love with Bahl. The guy I really wanted was Holtz. I think with the right usage he can score 20 to 30 for the next 8 to 10 years. Bahl will be a solid PKer and bottom pairing guy. Gotta get those minor penalties out of his game though. He takes too many.

Reactions: Forge

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
2 years ago, this would of been trade of the year, now.. laughable...
-what happened to the new jersey devils... man... such an well run organization/machine once
now... its just a distant memory

cool logo, color scheme, hall of famers, star players, awesome role players, perfectly honed tactics, system, coaching, management
won stanley cups, was a contender... sigh

it was such a big club that it took just one of its players to get entire state of alaska join together and get psyched about hockey

i disagree, mentally weak, aging goalie whos slow af
These are really bad posts. Markstrom will be a top 15 goalie for the Devils next year. He's perfect for their system. Only Saros would have been better there of the guys who are potentially available and I'm not even sure he's available.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad