Confirmed Trade: [NJD/CGY] Jacob Markstrom for Kevin Bahl, 2025 1st round pick (top 10 protected); Flames retain 31.25%

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Two things can be true at the same time. I think it's fair to say Bahl did good work on the PK and took too many penalties. I'm looking for him to fill a role on the bottom pairing and kill penalties. He does need to go to the box a lot less though.
If he can figure that out you'll be happy with him.

NJD can't be giving rope to a guy to hopefully figure out how to not cost the team a number of goals with bad penalties. Maybe if he was the only youngster, but Luke and Nemec are also going to have growing pains and you can't be having Bahl do stupid shit alongside

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Bahl is just an average 3rd pairing defenseman that a couple of times a season he starts using his body and actually affects games. Perhaps the Flames can get that out of him but it will definitely be a project. Anytime he goes deep into the the zone you'll be cringing as he'll probably get his shot blocked and cause a break away or a 2 on 1.

Last edited by a moderator:

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
They have 6D who will play NHL minutes next year. One of them is MacDermid. They absolutely need another defenseman. You can't go into next season with MacDermid playing every night and no depth.
sure they need bodies. but they can absolutely make it back to the playoffs with a bahl like player rounding out the defence IF ...

SeanAveryTheGreatOne

Jul 4, 2021
Debs are back in the playoffs with a competent goalie. Now if they can add a good #1D they become a division favorite/Cup contender.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Think this is a fair trade.

Flames fans may have had eyes on a fleecing as most fan bases do, but a 1st round pick for a 36 year old goalie is good value.

Bahl looks to be a solid 2nd or 3rd pairing defenseman too.

The Flames have now 5 x 1sts in the next 3 years is it? Draft well and the future is very bright, especially if they bottom out this season and get a top 5 pick from their own.

Devils get what they need.

To me pretty close to win win.
Yeah I think it’s fairly even. Bahl may or may not be decent. But the Flames have no D depth at the moment, so he’ll definitely get a shot.

I think they’re up to 6 1sts in the next 3 years (Van this year, NJ next year, Vegas 2026, plus their own 3 - they lose Florida’s to Montreal in 2025).

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Debs are back in the playoffs with a competent goalie. Now if they can add a good #1D they become a division favorite/Cup contender.

they have a #1D and also have the 2 best U-21 DMen in the sport.

oh man if you liked that you are going to love the Luke Hughes play defense against top competition challenge

At 5 on 5, Luke Hughes had a better CA/60 and xGF% than Bahl last year. And thats before even taking into account how shitty his numbers were at 5 on 5 because he was tethered to the human black hole in Brendan Smith.

Reactions: Seanaconda

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Definitely true. Smith was excellent on the PK this season. Unfortunately he's not really good enough 5v5 to be a regular without consequences.

That and being a good PK player is of lesser value when you’re the one in the box a lot of the time the team needs a kill.

Reactions: JimEIV

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Markstrom was really good last year up until the trade deadline when he stopped trying.
And terrible the year before. Markstroms been bad 2.5 of his 4 years in ccalgary and has been avg for his career. Honestly think this will be horrible for nj and markstrom will look pretty bad this year.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Hate this trade for the Devils. Markstrom’s overrated. And could fall off a Cliff as soon as next year.

And it's still fine in a vacuum, what's worse Markstrom falling off a cliff with 4.125Mx2 or Saros/Ullmark falling off a cliff with a bloated deal

oh man if you liked that you are going to love the Luke Hughes play defense against top competition challenge

Proof you didn't watch him if this is the conclusion you come up with. But it's pretty on par with the Devils analysis across this board that no one besides their fans watch them

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
And it's still fine in a vacuum, what's worse Markstrom falling off a cliff with 4.125Mx2 or Saros/Ullmark falling off a cliff with a bloated deal

Proof you didn't watch him if this is the conclusion you come up with. But it's pretty on par with the Devils analysis across this board that no one besides their fans watch them
What’s better is neither of those guys. And save the 1st. Find another goalie. Improve team D to support said Goalie.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
What’s better is neither of those guys. And save the 1st. Find another goalie. Improve team D to support said Goalie.

lets hear about this mystery goalie that is so easily acquired!

and they ARE going to improve the rest of the team regardless. It isn't a "one or the other" scenario.

Reactions: Devilsfan118

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
Real loser of this deal is Dustin Wolf.

Highly touted goalie prospect is about to get lit up for years playing on such a garbage team

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
At 5 on 5, Luke Hughes had a better CA/60 and xGF% than Bahl last year. And thats before even taking into account how shitty his numbers were at 5 on 5 because he was tethered to the human black hole in Brendan Smith.

Well I would hope so considering he started in the OZ twice as often against weaker competition.
He played most of the year primarily with John Marino. Both Bahl and Hughes played with Smith for around 250 minutes.

Proof? I watched him plenty. He has got a long way to go defensively. Is that somehow offside or ridiculous to suggest?

Metalwood

Sep 30, 2021
Why does Conroy keep getting these 3rd pair D plugs back as trade returns? It’s mind boggling.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

Prospect hugging at its finest, I'm sure that core wants to wait for another 1st rounder to knock on the door when they're 28-29 and haven't done anything notable in NJ besides one measly series win over their rivals in 2023. They have the 10th this year, take BPA and make it a mission not to draft that high again. This isn't NHL 24

Reactions: Jared Dunn

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Well I would hope so considering he started in the OZ twice as often against weaker competition.
He played most of the year primarily with John Marino. Both Bahl and Hughes played with Smith for around 250 minutes.

Proof? I watched him plenty. He has got a long way to go defensively. Is that somehow offside or ridiculous to suggest?

He's 20 years old? Not to mention he is never going to be some stalwart defensively. I'm not even sure why he was brought up in a Bahl/Markstrom thread?

Luke is going to be a top pairing DMan for the next 10-15 years. I am sorry that that bothers you?

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

He was dynamite away from Brendan Smith this year, I have no qualms of his game or how it gets better in the future. The veterans you mentioned in Marino, Smith and Jonas Siegenthalar were a bigger issue to NJ's defensive core in 23-24 than both young D were

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
He's 20 years old? Not to mention he is never going to be some stalwart defensively. I'm not even sure why he was brought up in a Bahl/Markstrom thread?

Luke is going to be a top pairing DMan for the next 10-15 years. I am sorry that that bothers you?

Why would that bother me? You're tilting at windmills and imagining insults.

He was dynamite away from Brendan Smith this year, I have no qualms of his game or how it gets better in the future. The veterans you mentioned in Marino, Smith and Jonas Siegenthalar were a bigger issue to NJ's defensive core in 23-24 than both young D were

That's good. I'm a fan of the player. Was just suggesting in my initial post that his defensive acumen will be tested more often without a shutdown pairing to throw out there against other team's top lines. Probably a lot will depend on how Dougie comes back. The LD UFA market is.. well kind of old. Maybe they go after Forbort or Edmundson on a short term deal.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Good trade for the Flames, just to get rid of Markstrom

NJ is rolling a dice on a stop gap goalie. He is more likely bad than good. Very inconsistent and choke whenever you really need him

D3vilsH0ck3y

Jun 10, 2013
I'm feeling pretty torn on this deal. Has nothing to do with what the Devils gave up. Bahl was a pretty frustrating player last season but with more seasoning I think he could turn out to be a decent bottom pair steady dman. First round picks (especially one that is a year away) are whatever to this organization right now. There is pressure on management and seats could be getting warm soon. There is no reason this team doesn't start competing very soon and at the least should continuously be making the playoffs.

The biggest hurdle to that has been completely inept goaltending. Like in the NFL, if you don't have a QB you keep taking kicks at the can until you find one.

Markstrom is a little on the older side for me after getting burned by Crawford and Bernier and others but for the next two years he should without out doubt be better than what we have trotted out there recently.

Seems like a fair deal after all is said and done. Wish the flames luck as always.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
What Next seasons Devils have over last seasons Devils Allen , Markstrom , Hamilton, and a healthy Jack Hughes.
I could coach this team to a play off spot.

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
Good trade for the Flames, just to get rid of Markstrom

NJ is rolling a dice on a stop gap goalie. He is more likely bad than good. Very inconsistent and choke whenever you really need him
Interesting opinion. Are you a Flames fan?

He’s a good goalie, just past his prime. Mid-tier starter, after retention it’s pretty decent value.

But I do agree that he’s overrated at this stage, and not the answer for a competitive team. I still don’t like New Jersey after this trade. Calgary is doing a full rebuild, dark times ahead.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I like it for the Flames. would of been nice to make something massive and include the 10th overall, but I think that would of gotten too complicated.

Bahl intrigues me. Defense take time to figure things out in the NHL. Really curious what he could do with someone like Kylington.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad