Confirmed Trade: [NJD/CGY] Jacob Markstrom for Kevin Bahl, 2025 1st round pick (top 10 protected); Flames retain 31.25%

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Flames did good, and it looks like they may finally begin a long overdue rebuild........

Until in couple weeks they will throw huge money at a big name old UFA :D

Reactions: TheDawnOfANewTage

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Honestly I think the only knock on it as why didn't the Devils get this done in season? Might have been enough to get them in the playoffs, I wonder how different the trade talks looked at that point

He'll be an RFA with arb rights next summer so don't worry, there's still time

Rumors were that Conroy and Fitz came to a consensus deal at the TDL. Then our stupid ownership blew up the deal because he wanted more for retaining, or something. I think that was why Fitz vented his frustration in the media saying that teams were being held hostage with the goalie market or something.

Conroy is pretty good at contracts though, so I think we are OK. Zadorov is actually decent at offense which is why he got $4+. He stock also raised from when we acquired him from Chicago when he and Gudbranson ended up as a pretty damn good bottom pairing under Sutter. He was also scoring a lot of goals (near tops in league) for a dman at one point too. That pairing way outperformed expectations to the point it was deployed in a manner almost similar to other teams second pairings.

Reactions: Jared Dunn

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Yup, Bahl is an excellent defensive defenseman. Probably the best the Devils had last year. Only problem is that he thought he was Bobby Orr and regularly put the team in trouble trying to split the D/play forward. I assume that with time (and maybe better coaching) he will accept his fate as a defensive defenseman. Therefore, I think Bahl straight up for Markstrom was an overpayment.

no, he most certainly is not. He stunk last year.

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Yup, Bahl is an excellent defensive defenseman. Probably the best the Devils had last year. Only problem is that he thought he was Bobby Orr and regularly put the team in trouble trying to split the D/play forward. I assume that with time (and maybe better coaching) he will accept his fate as a defensive defenseman. Therefore, I think Bahl straight up for Markstrom was an overpayment.
Kevin Bahl was nowhere near the devils best defensive dman. Marino was quite clearly.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Statistically he also had one of the worst penalty differentials in hockey and one of the worst rates of taking penalties and they always felt like they happened at crucial moments in the 3rd

Basically saying he spent too much time learning habits from Brendan Smith and Miles Wood?

Figgy44

Dec 15, 2014
no, he most certainly is not. He stunk last year.

If you guys are this badly divided on whether Bahl is good or terrible, I'll take it as a good sign similar to when we acquired Sharangovich.

Either way, nice doing business with you guys again. I hope it's a win/win scenario again.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
If you guys are this badly divided on whether Bahl is good or terrible, I'll take it as a good sign similar to when we acquired Sharangovich.

Either way, nice doing business with you guys again. I hope it's a win/win scenario again.

Sharangovich was essentially the same player in Calgary that he was in NJ....its just that he got way more opportunity in Calgary than he would have in NJ. I am happy for the guy though.

Bahl just isn't good. He is still young, so I am not saying he will NEVER be good, but he has a long way to go. He is huge but he does not use his size, and he takes way too many penalties.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Basically saying he spent too much time learning habits from Brendan Smith and Miles Wood?
He basically became a younger brendan smith in that he'd keep taking stupid penalties, could not make a breakout pass, and was a great PK guy.

Not quite the guy I wanted him to emulate.

Watching Bahl and Smith gather the puck behind our net on a dump and change for 5 seconds with no pressure, then still somehow manage to ice the puck 75% of the time was pure terrorism. I am concerned about what their loss will do to our PK tho. Maybe Brendan Smith as a 4LW just for the PK, but I think, same as it was before, a PKing 2LD is a priority.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa

Nobody thought Rango was terrible. The widely held position was that he was never going to find a role in this org and was best to move to a team that would give him the opportunities he needs.

Basically, where Holtz is now.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Statistically he also had one of the worst penalty differentials in hockey and one of the worst rates of taking penalties and they always felt like they happened at crucial moments in the 3rd (that 3rd period part may be anecdotal tho). Passing is atrocious

Good PKer tho and maybe he'll be better on a team less reliant on the rush and having dman fire accurate breakout passes
Sounds like a good tank guy lol

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Sharangovich was essentially the same player in Calgary that he was in NJ....its just that he got way more opportunity in Calgary than he would have in NJ. I am happy for the guy though.

Bahl just isn't good. He is still young, so I am not saying he will NEVER be good, but he has a long way to go. He is huge but he does not use his size, and he takes way too many penalties.
Yeah, and with forwards, being given more opportunity is usually a good thing. PP time, offensive zone looks, better linemates. Makes your stats and yourself look better, and can hide flaws.

With dmen, it's the opposite. Bigger role means tougher matchups, more minutes, and more scrutiny on every little thing.

MVP Zacha

Feb 8, 2012
Kansas
Oh man. I’m going to hate him haha. Those guy’s irrationally bug me
I think coaching was one of the main reasons he wasn't as physical as he could have been. Ruff's defensive scheme was horrible and I don't think any defenseman was playing to their strengths. I am sure he will figure it out and you Flames fans will like him just like Sharangovich.

Reactions: Figgy44 and Bond

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Sounds like a good tank guy lol
I had him suggested as a potential "try him out and see if he can figure it out" target for Calgary from a few months ago.

There is some upside for a solid number 4, but as of right now, the penalties outweigh everything positive he does.

I wouldn't be shocked if he turns out well, but I am VERY happy NJD has decided to move him (assuming they bring in a replacement).

And NJD really can't be trying to nurture bahl and giving him opportunities. You can do that with 1-2 guys at once, you can't try and do it with 3 guys all at once trying to let them figure it out and expect to be a contender.

My dream is 2 year stopgap and with a hope and prayer that Sam Dickinson falls to 10

Reactions: Figgy44 and Bond

Figgy44

Dec 15, 2014

IIRC, Huska was a churning out dmen in Kelowna, so here's hoping Bahl will grow with his guidance and expanded opportunity. We also have a ton of offensive minded dmen coming up, so him rounding out that d corps will be helpful.

I think he can also be a blueprint that can be developed together side by side with guys like Kuznetsov and Grushnikov. I think this will improve all 3 of these guys chances if they all have similar plans/styles and NHL/AHL development notes from all 3 guys can be shared. I'm feeling optimistic. :)

Nobody thought Rango was terrible. The widely held position was that he was never going to find a role in this org and was best to move to a team that would give him the opportunities he needs.

Basically, where Holtz is now.

I remember a lot of "Sharangovich sucks" posts. Perhaps I am mistaken that they were made by NJD fans. Maybe some other fans of teams like the Rangers or other teams where showing up and laughing at the deal?

Figgy44

Dec 15, 2014
I think most Jersey fans were complimentary but didn’t think Sharangovich had a spot

Yeah. Maybe it was other teams fans saying he sucked and I misremembered some of them as NJD fan comments. But agree there were many NJD fans saying we'd be very happy with him. (And they were absolutely right)

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
it certainly wasn't DEvils fans saying Sharangovich sucks....he is an easy guy to root for.

Again, he never would have gotten the opportunities in NJ that he got this past season in Calgary. I am happy he is carving out a nice career for himself, he is very likeable. We definitely could use him in the middle 6 next year, but what can you do.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
If you want the real engine behind NJDs PK it was brendan smith tbh.

As dogshit as he was at actual hockey he's one of the best PK guys in the league
Definitely true. Smith was excellent on the PK this season. Unfortunately he's not really good enough 5v5 to be a regular without consequences.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
it certainly wasn't DEvils fans saying Sharangovich sucks....he is an easy guy to root for.

Again, he never would have gotten the opportunities in NJ that he got this past season in Calgary. I am happy he is carving out a nice career for himself, he is very likeable. We definitely could use him in the middle 6 next year, but what can you do.
When Mcleod was here there really wasn't a spot (I didn't even think there was a spot for Toffoli)

Hughes, Mercer, Holtz, Palat, Haula, Toffoli, Hischier, Mcleod, Bratt, Meier.

Now with McLeod gone maybe you regret not trying to lock Yegor in as a long term 3C, but I don't think he would have thrived in that role.

Same with Zetterlund. Good for him but there was definitely not PP1 time and 19 minutes a night available in NJD.

The next guy who might be pushed out that I think whoever gets will be quite happy with is Clarke imo

Definitely true. He was excellent on the PK this season. Unfortunately he's not really good enough 5v5 to be a regular without consequences.
My theory is that it's because you don't have to pass on the PK. And so Smith can just ice it instead of having to use his brain when he has the puck, or make an accurate pass

Reactions: JimEIV

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Two things can be true at the same time. I think it's fair to say Bahl did good work on the PK and took too many penalties. I'm looking for him to fill a role on the bottom pairing and kill penalties. He does need to go to the box a lot less though.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Honestly I think the only knock on it as why didn't the Devils get this done in season? Might have been enough to get them in the playoffs, I wonder how different the trade talks looked at that point

He'll be an RFA with arb rights next summer so don't worry, there's still time
It would have cost significantly more at the deadline if we wanted it.

And again, at that point Dougie was out for the year, and Jack was battling a known injury and was at 60%.

If we bought at the deadline it probably would have cost us the Toffoli Return, the Miller return, and an extra 2nd+3rd at minimum. That's a lot of extra assets to give up, all for a run that would have still been hopeless without a healthy Jack or Dougie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad