Confirmed Trade: [NJD/CGY] Jacob Markstrom for Kevin Bahl, 2025 1st round pick (top 10 protected); Flames retain 31.25%

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I always find it funny that when a team is looking to trade a player he is a perennial All-Star and then when a trade is completed he is somehow the worst player in the history of the NHL at his position.
Markstrom will be good for you guys. It's a good fit for your system. He's not Shesterkin, but he's a top half starting goalie who is good at high danger chances. He'll let in some softies at times, but overall he's a good starter and can play 50+ games. I think barring a Saros trade you guys got the best goalie available for your team and didn't give up 10OA or Holtz to do it.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
four seasons with the Flames, one of them with sv% >.905

I don't see this working out
This is why stat watching is wildly inaccurate.

In his first year with Calgary, Markstrom was their best player for 2/3 of the season and was derailed by a concussion. His second year he was a Vezina candidate. Third year he was bad, but also had a newborn baby at home. Last year he was far and away our best player, the team hung him out to dry all year and he still had a .915 SV% heading into the final couple months when the Flames traded 1/2 their top 4 defensemen, which were also their best 2 defensive defensemen.

Context matters. NJD saw this.

MVP Zacha

Feb 8, 2012
Kansas
Markstrom will be good for you guys. It's a good fit for your system. He's not Shesterkin, but he's a top half starting goalie who is good at high danger chances. He'll let in some softies at times, but overall he's a good starter and can play 50+ games. I think barring a Saros trade you guys got the best goalie available for your team and didn't give up 10OA or Holtz to do it.
Thanks bud, and I agree with you 100%.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
A 2nd and a crap prospect is effectively what Markstrom was traded for. There isn't much of a difference in value between a 2024 2nd and a 2025 1st, especially with how good the Devils look they'll be next year.
Watching your progression in this thread is iconic. Just completely wrong, try to walk it back, and then when you realize that wasn’t possible switch to doubling down and trying to justify it. If you are seriously arguing that a 2024 2nd is equal to a 2025 1st this early, you must either be the best amateur scout of all time or completely out to lunch. I’m so glad you don’t work for my team lol

Fair deal, like the value for the Flames but kinda wish we waited until the draft to see if we could get an unprotected first. Just happy that we’re actually rebuilding for once and excited to give our scouts a chance to build through the draft for once.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Bond

May 10, 2012
I always find it funny that when a team is looking to trade a player he is a perennial All-Star and then when a trade is completed he is somehow the worst player in the history of the NHL at his position.
The main negative comments about Markstrom still stem from when he shat the bed against the Oilers. It was bad lol

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
markstrom is more than good enough to lead a contender to a cup. not sure he's up for dragging a team there but he'll be a big part of a run.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
@RasmusAndersson is a late first next year and a #6 dman really that much better?
IMO definitely yes because if you told me we got a 2nd and Bahl or a B prospect I’d be pissed, whereas 1st instead of the second makes all the difference. Trading a guy for a 1st vs. a 2nd is the difference between winning a trade and losing a trade. Unless you meant a prospect like Holtz, in which case it’s close, but I didn’t think you meant that cause you said Flames fans will be disappointed.

And I don't get labelling Bahl as a #6. He's 23, he has the same value as a B prospect aged 21-22 who has yet to crack a roster and probably has a 50% chance of being a career NHLer. I see Bahl as a solid #5 long-term.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Why does Conroy keep getting these 3rd pair D plugs back as trade returns? It’s mind boggling.

When the market supply runs out of these types of dudes, watch out because Craig the con man Conroy gonna make a killing.

:sarcasm:

I'm feeling pretty torn on this deal. Has nothing to do with what the Devils gave up. Bahl was a pretty frustrating player last season but with more seasoning I think he could turn out to be a decent bottom pair steady dman. First round picks (especially one that is a year away) are whatever to this organization right now. There is pressure on management and seats could be getting warm soon. There is no reason this team doesn't start competing very soon and at the least should continuously be making the playoffs.

The biggest hurdle to that has been completely inept goaltending. Like in the NFL, if you don't have a QB you keep taking kicks at the can until you find one.

Markstrom is a little on the older side for me after getting burned by Crawford and Bernier and others but for the next two years he should without out doubt be better than what we have trotted out there recently.

Seems like a fair deal after all is said and done. Wish the flames luck as always.

IIRC, Crawford and Bernier were done by then though. the bet was that they might bounce back at the right time. Marky (maybe y’all should call him Marquis) showed decent stretches of good play last year and his drop off coincided with not just one but several reasonable reasons that could make any goalie drop off.

I think Marky will be great for you guys.

D3vilsH0ck3y

Jun 10, 2013
Also surprised at some flames fans takes on Holtz in here. He is extremely extremely close to bust territory. He's a one dimensional (shot) slow hockey player. Put up or shut up time for him this year with no Ruff but he isn't some elite prospect some are making him out to be here.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

xVolchenkov

Jun 21, 2011
Ottawa
IMO definitely yes because if you told me we got a 2nd and Bahl or a B prospect I’d be pissed, whereas 1st instead of the second makes all the difference. Trading a guy for a 1st vs. a 2nd is the difference between winning a trade and losing a trade. Unless you meant a prospect like Holtz, in which case it’s close, but I didn’t think you meant that cause you said Flames fans will be disappointed.

And I don't get labelling Bahl as a #6. He's 23, he has the same value as a B prospect aged 21-22 who has yet to crack a roster and probably has a 50% chance of being a career NHLer. I see Bahl as a solid #5 long-term.
Fair enough. I think getting a 2nd this year (40th) and a prospect or a 1st next year (obviously hard to project but should be in the 25ish range) isn’t a massive difference. You’re right, I didn’t expect a Holtz like prospect but I personally see Bahl as more of a throw in (very replaceable within a roster). Yes he’s young but as someone who watched him in junior with the 67s, he’s never been a guy who’s impressed me. If we see him in a different light, it’s understandable as to why you see it being better return than I do.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Why would that bother me? You're tilting at windmills and imagining insults.

That's good. I'm a fan of the player. Was just suggesting in my initial post that his defensive acumen will be tested more often without a shutdown pairing to throw out there against other team's top lines. Probably a lot will depend on how Dougie comes back. The LD UFA market is.. well kind of old. Maybe they go after Forbort or Edmundson on a short term deal.

Would not be shocked in the slightest if they made a run at Zadarov. Also, they still have the Holtz bullet left in the chamber but not sure who will trade a good LHD for him and 2nd's

Also surprised at some flames fans takes on Holtz in here. He is extremely extremely close to bust territory. He's a one dimensional (shot) slow hockey player. Put up or shut up time for him this year with no Ruff but he isn't some elite prospect some are making him out to be here.

Deja vu with Shara probably. Holtz played a whopping how many minutes with Jack last year?

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Fair enough. I think getting a 2nd this year (40th) and a prospect or a 1st next year (obviously hard to project but should be in the 25ish range) isn’t a massive difference. You’re right, I didn’t expect a Holtz like prospect but I personally see Bahl as more of a throw in (very replaceable within a roster). Yes he’s young but as someone who watched him in junior with the 67s, he’s never been a guy who’s impressed me. If we see him in a different light, it’s understandable as to why you see it being better return than I do.
Completely fair. Honestly I have mixed feelings on Bahl. I’m a Flames fan living in NJ, so I can only speak to his play the past few years, but sometimes I see the size and speed combo and see top-4 potential, whereas other times I see his poor decision making and meh puck skill and question if he should even still be a full-time NHLer.

But overall I would value him as a typical B prospect or late 2nd, where there’s probably below 50% chance he actually becomes a #3/4 guy but he’s still a decent bottom-pair guy who can fill that #5 DFD and PK2 role. Which is about as much as I think we could possibly get on top of a 1st

Reactions: xVolchenkov

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
Devils win because Markstrom is a great stop-gap for the Devils, and will likely save Fitzgerald his job. People may look at this as "only two years" as being a bit rich for what was paid, but is it really rich? Saves the Devils from wasting another 2 years of their core. Flames couldn't find a goalie to save their lives when their core was nice and young, and suddenly it all went 'boom' seemingly overnight. Gives the Devils 2 more seasons to find a long-term solution in net rather than wasting the core and bleeding assets on solutions that are essentially a wet dirty band-aid that 20 other people have stepped on already. Fitzgerald should have stepped up at the deadline and offered this up. Not until Toronto and Ottawa got involved did this happen. Trade was not as close as some had thought.

Calgary wins since Markstrom has no value left for them. What will he do? Keep the Flames a couple of spots higher in the draft? By the time the Flames are ready to compete, Markstrom wll be a goaltending coach somewhere, or living back in Sweden, or whatever he has planned for his retirement. Conroy shopped him around, and finally got his price met. Markstrom was damn outstanding last year, but let's not pretend it was mostly his fault that the Flames missed the playoffs the previous season. I think he will be fine in Jersey though - they just need someone to be stable, and he will likely be that, with an occasional steal here, and an occasional bad game there.

Bahl - 6'6" defencemen with fairly good mobility? Only 23 and played 82 games last season? Mainstay on the PK? Yeah, that's not a throw away player. That is some value there, so who knows how good more experience and better coaching can do for him. Huska is great with defencemen. It will be interesting to see where he ends up at in 3 years or so. Maybe he doesn't take another step forward, or maybe he does. Given his age and experience, I really like it.

Overall, both teams win. I don't think this is a case of one bending the other over.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Recall many posters saying he wasn’t getting a first. The 10th was probably too rich.

Devils get a good one.
Calgary continues to build and add lotto balls.

Reactions: Figgy44

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
Devils win because Markstrom is a great stop-gap for the Devils, and will likely save Fitzgerald his job. People may look at this as "only two years" as being a bit rich for what was paid, but is it really rich? Saves the Devils from wasting another 2 years of their core. Flames couldn't find a goalie to save their lives when their core was nice and young, and suddenly it all went 'boom' seemingly overnight. Gives the Devils 2 more seasons to find a long-term solution in net rather than wasting the core and bleeding assets on solutions that are essentially a wet dirty band-aid that 20 other people have stepped on already. Fitzgerald should have stepped up at the deadline and offered this up. Not until Toronto and Ottawa got involved did this happen. Trade was not as close as some had thought.

Calgary wins since Markstrom has no value left for them. What will he do? Keep the Flames a couple of spots higher in the draft? By the time the Flames are ready to compete, Markstrom wll be a goaltending coach somewhere, or living back in Sweden, or whatever he has planned for his retirement. Conroy shopped him around, and finally got his price met. Markstrom was damn outstanding last year, but let's not pretend it was mostly his fault that the Flames missed the playoffs the previous season. I think he will be fine in Jersey though - they just need someone to be stable, and he will likely be that, with an occasional steal here, and an occasional bad game there.

Bahl - 6'6" defencemen with fairly good mobility? Only 23 and played 82 games last season? Mainstay on the PK? Yeah, that's not a throw away player. That is some value there, so who knows how good more experience and better coaching can do for him. Huska is great with defencemen. It will be interesting to see where he ends up at in 3 years or so. Maybe he doesn't take another step forward, or maybe he does. Given his age and experience, I really like it.

Overall, both teams win. I don't think this is a case of one bending the other over.
They did offer a similar package at the deadline, and maybe even more. Definitely more if you view Holtz as a better prospect than Bahl. But the Calgary owner nixed it because he didn't want to retain. I guess someone had to convince him now that there are other trade options on the goaltending market.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Would not be shocked in the slightest if they made a run at Zadarov. Also, they still have the Holtz bullet left in the chamber but not sure who will trade a good LHD for him and 2nd's

Deja vu with Shara probably. Holtz played a whopping how many minutes with Jack last year?

I think NJD fans would see a lot of humor in going from Bahl to Zadorov. He's everything you guys love and hated but even more and way better.

I laughed at the Bahl thinking he's Orr comment because we used to have ZadORRov comments for big Z. I think style wise big Z would fit your roster like a glove.

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I think NJD fans would see a lot of humor in going from Bahl to Zadorov. He's everything you guys love and hated but even more and way better.

I laughed at the Bahl thinking he's Orr comment because we used to have ZadORRov comments for big Z. I think style wise big Z would fit your roster like a glove.

I'm already shitting bricks at the possible contract Zadorov is gonna get but I think he's the best dman considering the LD side of the defense and the big hole on the penalty kill now. I don't really see how they improve that side via a trade but it's still very early in the offseason lol

Reactions: Figgy44

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
They did offer a similar package at the deadline, and maybe even more. Definitely more if you view Holtz as a better prospect than Bahl. But the Calgary owner nixed it because he didn't want to retain. I guess someone had to convince him now that there are other trade options on the goaltending market.
That's pure speculation, not fact that you are arguing. People were flinging stuff around trying to make sense of it all, but there was never anything confirmed as to what the offer was.

FWIW, Flames and Devils had a deal in place, and the Devils circled back with retention but not increasing the offer, making the trade fall apart. Did the Devils up their bid? DId Conroy lower his ask and included retention at the same cost? We don't know. The details of the nixed trade were never released, and was only ever speculative.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards

I'm so terrified they are going to go after Z lol

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
I don't know what to think. I need to educate myself on who this Kevin Bahl cat is.

Reactions: Dog

QuizGuy66

Sep 12, 2011
I am good with the trade even if not a huge Markstrom fan. Gets out goaltending to average and gives us a year or two to determine if any of Schmid/Daws/Poulter is gonna be the next guy or maybe we go out and also get that next guy.

Bahl - big body that doesn't use the big body enough. Ceiling is 3rd pair defensive d-man and would just as soon see us get a higher up the chain dman to bump Siegenthaler down to that 3rd-pair role. If your Calgary you are hoping he magically blooms into another Willie Mitchell but I am dubious he'll have close to that kind of career.

The 1st rounder is protected enough should disaster strike again this year.

Retention helps with other moves (possibly for what we really would want to trade 10OA for) and this doesn't hurt the long term salary structure at all.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad