Confirmed Trade: [NJD/CGY] Jacob Markstrom for Kevin Bahl, 2025 1st round pick (top 10 protected); Flames retain 31.25%

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
What about Bahl versus Holtz? I almost like Bahl better for the Flames than Hotlz since they already have Coronato
bahl is 6'7, holtz has an elite shot.

regarding ceiling holtz is way better than bahl. in limited opportunities he scored 16 goals last season. with better linemates and pp minutes he still has 30 goal upside. the question is if he will get this opportunities with the devils.

Reactions: Bond

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Didn't expect this to happen before the finals ended but the move itself is not surprising.

But even for a goalie this is a really poor return, not only is there salary retained but the pick is top 10 protected, and they didn't even get a good prospect

At this rate and NHL schedule, finals going to end in September few days before training camp

Teams wants to move around players, weigh their options

This NHL stanly cup playoffs scheduling has been a total joke

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Bahl is solid defensively but he’s so bad offensively it’s a net negative. But yea he never uses his size. He was last year in the playoffs and earlier in this year then stopped.

Lmao he literally was second in goals saved above expected this year. Last year was mediocre and the year prior was a vezina nominated season.

Sorry, 5th.

9th in Moneypuck in XGA, with a whole lot of mediocre stats to go with it.

Zero idea where you get the idea he was second.

NHL Goalie Statistics

Bond

May 10, 2012

regarding ceiling holtz is way better than bahl. in limited opportunities he scored 16 goals last season. with better linemates and pp minutes he still has 30 goal upside. the question is if he will get this opportunities with the devils.
Yeah, I haven't watched enough of Holtz to know if he will stick with the Devils or not.

9th in Moneypuck in XGA, with a whole lot of mediocre stats to go with it.

Zero idea where you get the idea he was second.

NHL Goalie Statistics
Can't tell you why they are different but they are

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
What is your point? I honestly have no idea.

I simply stated that all the "experts" around here said that they just needed a goalie and now that they got one, they're back to a rebuilding team that shouldn't be making deals like this.

Also it's pretty funny to call someone a disgrace because they filled their biggest need without giving up much in the way of assets. If he'd given up 10th OA or a legit prospect, I could see being upset about it, but a protected 1st and a bottom pairing D to fill your biggest team need with retention, doesn't seem like that big of a deal. As long as Markstrom can be NHL average or slightly above it, it should be okay.

They needed and still need a long term solution in goal, Markstrom is a pit stop at best.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Yeah, I haven't watched enough of Holtz to know if he will stick with the Devils or not.

So that source has him third, MP has him 9th and a third source you posted earlier has him 7th(not discounting goalies who have played 20+ games)

Sounds like an unreliable mess.

RunItBackAgain

“We were right there”
Oct 14, 2021
Good deal for both teams but NJ should be very happy with this. Lots of people underrating what Markstrom does. He is much much better than his sv% and gaa. Gave the Flames a chance to win almost every night he was in net and basically the only reason they were in the playoff race until the last month of the season.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary

Who knows what happened but if Devils offered both I can definitely see Flames taking Bahl over Holtz. On a surface level obviously Holtz is the higher end player but Bahl likely checked off a ton of their boxes that a small skilled winger just doesn't.

We don't even have spots for all of our wingers while we were playing essentially 3 #7 defenders at the end of last year haha. And all of our good defensive prospects are offensive guys. A big stable #4 is exactly what we need right now. If they think he can be that, lets go.

Reactions: Figgy44

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Good deal for both teams but NJ should be very happy with this. Lots of people underrating what Markstrom does. He is much much better than his sv% and gaa. Gave the Flames a chance to win almost every night he was in net and basically the only reason they were in the playoff race until the last month of the season.

He was elite for the first 35ish games last year, absolutely.
He was also one of, if not the worst goaltenders in the NHL the prior year.

Tough to say what he is at this point. Calgary got great value all things considered.

Bond

May 10, 2012
So that source has him third, MP has him 9th and a third source you posted earlier has him 7th(not discounting goalies who have played 20+ games)

Sounds like an unreliable mess.
Yeah, I could never be bothered to try and figure out the different numbers but no one is lying

Tough to say what he is at this point. Calgary got great value all things considered.
Yeah, go look at the Flames forums after last season and they were talking like it was going to take paying a 1st to get rid of Markstrom.

Reactions: Figgy44

RunItBackAgain

“We were right there”
Oct 14, 2021

I think both teams should be very happy. Flames mostly because Marky wont be winning games they shoudn't win anymore and maybe we can get a top 3 pick for the first time in franchise bloody history.

I hope they sell off more assets this rebuild needs to happen so bad.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I birthed this thread you rube, how dare you. Apologies for pushing back on the notion that the team that has had one good year in recent memory has a chance of not being good next year, I’ll let you circle jerk amongst yourselves. Let’s see what the models and betting market has to say next season, I’m guessing something like ~65% for the Devils to even make the playoffs, meanwhile you can keep acting like their huge jump in the standings is a foregone conclusion.
Of course the Devils have a chance of not being good again next year, but acting like the fact that Hughes missed 20, Hischier missing 11 games, Meier 13 Siegenthaler missing 25 is nothing, isn't going to be well received.
There aren't a lot of teams out there that can play without their top D pair for 25 games and still contend.

They needed and still need a long term solution in goal, Markstrom is a pit stop at best.
There isn't a long term solution to be had right now though. If there was one, I'd love to hear who they are.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I birthed this thread you rube, how dare you. Apologies for pushing back on the notion that the team that has had one good year in recent memory has a chance of not being good next year, I’ll let you circle jerk amongst yourselves. Let’s see what the models and betting market has to say next season, I’m guessing something like ~65% for the Devils to even make the playoffs, meanwhile you can keep acting like their huge jump in the standings is a foregone conclusion.
6 teams in the entire league with better odds to win the Cup than NJ on DraftKings. 3 from the East. Vegas absolutely sees the Devils as contenders next season.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
obviously you can like bahl better than casey. but this is just your opinion. i can guarantee more than 80% of devils fans wouldn't trade casey for bahl 1 for 1.
I agree with your assessment of the Devils fan base, I'd say almost 100% of them disagree with me. Doesn't change my opinion though. I think Casey will be a #5 and I think Bahl will be a #5. I just think there is more certainty on Bahl. I prefer Bahl. 99% of Devils fans thinking I'm wrong doesn't change that. Obviously I'd have preferred Holtz as the prospect, but I get that getting both a 1st and Holtz is a pretty significant return.

Ledge And Dairy

Evolving Hockey uses Fenwick as their measurement for xG whereas Moneypuck uses only shots that are on net. Simply put the difference is EH includes posts and MP doesn't

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

I think you're right. Holtz I think has Toffoli upside. He's not a great skater, but has a good release and an accurate shot. NJ just needs to play him with a driver. Put him in that Toffoli spot and he'll score 20+ as soon as this season.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I think they just addressed their biggest need and opened up a hole on D for a defensive guy in free agency. If they fill that hole I see no reason why they aren't a lock for a playoff spot next year.
the team doesn't need an ufa lhd, IF marino and siegenthaler play more like the year before. obviously graves and severson left that defensive unit. but marino and especially siegenthaler have regressed quite a bit.
my biggest worry is hamilton. his mobility in transition is nearly non existent and you can frequently catch him throwing himself on the ice to avoid getting exposed in transition. with his cap hit, injury history and nmc the devils won't be able to move him until the protection gets lighter and most likely have to surrender an asset to do so.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
the team doesn't need an ufa lhd, IF marino and siegenthaler play more like the year before. obviously graves and severson left that defensive unit. but marino and especially siegenthaler have regressed quite a bit.
my biggest worry is hamilton. his mobility in transition is nearly non existent and you can frequently catch him throwing himself on the ice to avoid getting exposed in transition. with his cap hit, injury history and nmc the devils won't be able to move him until the protection gets lighter and most likely have to surrender an asset to do so.
They have 6D who will play NHL minutes next year. One of them is MacDermid. They absolutely need another defenseman. You can't go into next season with MacDermid playing every night and no depth.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I have never ever been a Markstrom guy. I’ve always felt like there’s been way too many excuses for why he doesn’t put up elite numbers.

At the same time, this makes the Devils better. They have a guy in net that they are now hoping can match some of the best goalies in the East. I think that’s way too much to give up, value-wise, but they don’t lose anything substantial in the trade and got better. Hard to complain much with that. For Calgary, they hit the jackpot.

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

MVP Zacha

Feb 8, 2012
Kansas
I think you're right. Holtz I think has Toffoli upside. He's not a great skater, but has a good release and an accurate shot. NJ just needs to play him with a driver. Put him in that Toffoli spot and he'll score 20+ as soon as this season.
Holtz spent last summer skating with Bratt and his skating coach and really improved his skating. Hopefully he does the same again this year and makes some more improvements.

They have 6D who will play NHL minutes next year. One of them is MacDermid. They absolutely need another defenseman. You can't go into next season with MacDermid playing every night and no depth.
MacDermid plays forward for the Devils.

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
You guys finished 13th in the Eastern Conference (and much closer to 15th in the East than 8th). I think calling the Devils a non-playoff team is fair.

I think you'll be better than last year but a bubble team nonetheless.

Hardly something to take issue with.
Yes, partially due to goaltending which this addresses. Second was having two rookies with talent plus lots of growing pains logging important minutes. That one should address itself on its own. Third, the team stopped trying after the deadline. They could've made it if they kept Toffoli and Miller and if Siegenthaler didn't have his head taken off by Rempe. Not that getting the privilege to lose in 5 in the first round meant that much.

On paper, Devils are a playoff team as is. They should be able to add some sort of LHD and maybe a winger too. Obviously things can go wrong, such as the underrated loss of Hamilton last year as well as the post-Hughes injury when things really fell apart.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Who is your best winger in your mind, Meier? You are using the excuse of him missing a whole 13 games last year as a reason for poor performance? Bratt played 82. Hughes still played 60+ games, expecting 82 out of him goes against his entire NHL history. You had one actually serious injury in Dougie. If that’s all it takes to derail the season then maybe you’re not “almost certainly” going to be picking in the 20s
The Devils had 188 man-games lsot to injury, which was 5th in the NHL last year. The only teams with worse injury luck were Vegas, Chicago, San Jose, and Washington. And some of those are skewed by perma-IR.

Meier played all season with two sprained MCLs and a torn oblique and still came within spitting distance of 30 goals.

Hughes played through a shoulder injury and was shut down to have surgery as soon as the Devils were mathematically eliminated. He was still well over a point per game despite playing with basically one arm for half the season.

Jonas Siegenthaler also missed over half the season with various injuries. McLeod was having a great season before he left the team when the WJC charges were filed. Plenty of other guys had minor injuries on and off throughout the year.

This isn't to say injuries were the only excuse. Goaltending was a huge issue. So was goaltending. What are the two things New Jersey has addressed since the end of the season?

Reactions: Shakir ONeal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad