Friedman: Nikita Zaitsev has requested a trade from Toronto

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site
If Marner goes sideways, maybe do a deal centering around Subban + (?) for Marner + Zaitsev.
Whether you think that (?) is a pro or con depends on your rooting interests.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
And the TO chaos continues for this offseason. It was already gonna be entertaining as hell to see what Dubas does with his RFA situation, but now Zaitsev wants out... Hurry up playoffs and end!!.. I want all focus away from the game and all on the NHL offseason
That's the thing I want to know. Why does Zaitsev want to leave? Obviously he was happy when he signed for 7 years. What a difference a year has made. When Lou left, he set the table for Dubas, the team had a tonne of cap space, and now in just a year. The capspace is gone, no stability in the Head Coach, players want to leave, the head scout and scouts(Hunter, Hofford) and coaches(DJ Smith and Pierre Greco) have left. There is an air of disarray in what is happening there now. And as you put it so correctly Skinny. There is more Chaos to come going into the off season.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
That's the thing I want to know. Why does Zaitsev want to leave? Obviously he was happy when he signed for 7 years. What a difference a year has made. When Lou left, he set the table for Dubas, the team had a tonne of cap space, and now in just a year. The capspace is gone, no stability in the Head Coach, players want to leave, the head scout and scouts(Hunter, Hofford) and coaches(DJ Smith and Pierre Greco) have left. There is an air of disarray in what is happening there now. And as you put it so correctly Skinny. There is Chaos going into the off season.

Yup.. I know many Leaf fans will argue otherwise just cause they are loyal to their team, but there is something odd going on in TO forsure.

This is very interesting news seeing things change for Zaitsev so quickly

Unless its something as simple as the craziness of the press and all that in Toronto? Im sure some players are envious of playing in cities where they can go wherever they want and do what they want and have nobody really know who you are.

But seems like there are more issues there

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
They might be we don't know as Zaitsev has't spoke,. Still, the fact, the only facts are that Bergulnd left maney on the table and that he is not stupid.

Um...yeah he has and it's a different situation. Your position is indefensible.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Yup.. I know many Leaf fans will argue otherwise just cause they are loyal to their team, but there is something odd going on in TO forsure.

This is very interesting news seeing things change for Zaitsev so quickly

They will no doubt be in denial. But the facts are the facts. Zaitsev and a plethora of stabilizing figures in the organization have left. It seems that since Lou left, it went from order to disorder overnight. Agreed, something is odd happening over there.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
My position is that Bergland left walked away from money and that he is not stupid. It needs no defence.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
That's the thing I want to know. Why does Zaitsev want to leave? Obviously he was happy when he signed for 7 years. What a difference a year has made. When Lou left, he set the table for Dubas, the team had a tonne of cap space, and now in just a year. The capspace is gone, no stability in the Head Coach, players want to leave, the head scout and scouts(Hunter, Hofford) and coaches(DJ Smith and Pierre Greco) have left. There is an air of disarray in what is happening there now. And as you put it so correctly Skinny. There is more Chaos to come going into the off season.
Some of you are such beauties.
You appear in every leafs thread preaching the impending leaf apocalypse. Hahahaha
They will be just fine

Reactions: Metroid

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
Intriguing situation. I would be surprised if Zaitsev works out for the team that acquires him. He has way too much term and security with that contract...

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
There always seem to be a team willing to just save a team from a bad contract for very little, at least in the past. There's also teams out there with some pitiful blue-lines. I'm not sure Zaitsev necessary helps in that regard, but he's something to try at least if you're in that situation.

So I'll be surprised if they can't figure something out to get rid of him. The cap hit isn't that hard to deal with, it's just the length really.

The term is the problem and it's not a small problem. If the Leafs want to unload that contract, it will require creativity and no GM is going to give the Leafs the value they want for Zaitsev. They will circle around like Vultures and wait for the situation to work in their favor. If it don't work, they certainly have options in the UFA market and can find someone similar on a lesser term and cap hit vs Zaitsev.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
My hunch told me the Jets would not like it as much as the Leafs. Probably some Leafs fans who say no as well but not sure.

What's the plans with Trouba? Is he staying? If not, what type of return are the Jets looking for?

I like KK but he’s a 3rd liner on the Jets..,.he would have zero chance of top 6 mins. No chance he would get the quantity mins & team mates he did in the Leafs this year.....he would be playing down in the roster. Wingers are the last thing the Jets need, we have too many now.

Late 1st is what it is.

Zaitsev contract & play eliminates him from the Jets.....Jets can’t afford to take on any cap dumps or bad contracts......Zaitsev falls some where between bad contract & cap dump. Some team might give him a chance, play him to his strengths and he might improve but that’s a huge risk and Jets are in no position to take that risk on him.

Dreger just reported this week there is multi teams with significant interest in Trouba. He will stay one more year & walk for free unless someone offers enough to pull him out of Winnipeg. #1RHD/2RHD 25 yr old traded at the TDL return roughly late 1st, 2nd and B/C level prospect......so think of that as the base offer and go up some for 82 games instead of 20+ games. Then if there is 2 or more teams bidding for Trouba and one happens to be one of the cities Trouba is willing to sign with long term we might see a trade/sign deal which increases Trouba return more.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Perhaps he stays and out of spite, plays closer to his first season’s quality and resets his perceived value to something more commensurate with his pay and term.

Toronto isn’t singularly hampered by Zaitsev’s contract. There are other, less palatable contracts that can be moved. Under no circumstance should our club retain salary or incentivize other teams to take him by thinning out our better prospects.

Sometimes the better option is the necessarily harder option. Hopefully, Zaitsev and Toronto are prepared for just that.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Some of you are such beauties.
You appear in every leafs thread preaching the impending leaf apocalypse. Hahahaha
They will be just fine

Stop pretending that the Leafs situation with the cap and how Zaitsev wanting out now does not make it a circus ride this summer. This is far from being a normal off season man and it will be very interesting to watch. This is why this is getting so much attention

Last edited:
Reactions: The Winter Soldier

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I like KK but he’s a 3rd liner on the Jets..,.he would have zero chance of top 6 mins. No chance he would get the quantity mins & team mates he did in the Leafs this year.....he would be playing down in the roster. Wingers are the last thing the Jets need, we have too many now.

Late 1st is what it is.

Zaitsev contract & play eliminates him from the Jets.....Jets can’t afford to take on any cap dumps or bad contracts......Zaitsev falls some where between bad contract & cap dump. Some team might give him a chance, play him to his strengths and he might improve but that’s a huge risk and Jets are in no position to take that risk on him.

Dreger just reported this week there is multi teams with significant interest in Trouba. He will stay one more year & walk for free unless someone offers enough to pull him out of Winnipeg. #1RHD/2RHD 25 yr old traded at the TDL return roughly late 1st, 2nd and B/C level prospect......so think of that as the base offer and go up some for 82 games instead of 20+ games. Then if there is 2 or more teams bidding for Trouba and one happens to be one of the cities Trouba is willing to sign with long term we might see a trade/sign deal which increases Trouba return more.

Trouba is a fit. But he will want 7M+ for atleast 6 to 7 years I surmise. Is there enough cap for the Leafs to do this? And sign their remaining RFA's. It's possible but a lot of pieces will have to move. Kadri, Kapanen, Johnsson?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Late 1st is what it is.

Fair assessment from the Jets point of view. What's interesting about this is most know Trouba wants out but the Jets also need to replace him on RD. Teams that are interested want to add a RD using other parts. How do the Jets trade Trouba and get the RD they need? Might require a 3 way trade.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Trouba is a fit. But he will want 7M+ for atleast 6 to 7 years I surmise. Is there enough cap for the Leafs to do this? And sign their remaining RFA's. It's possible but a lot of pieces will have to move. Kadri, Kapanen, Johnsson?

Agreed. It’s all about priorities......Leafs would have to move out one big contract or multi smaller ones to do it......depending on the contracts that will be harder or easier

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
KHL is implementing a salary cap, less than 14 million US for each team (I don't think the threat of players going to Russia for millions is much of a threat anymore) Season 2018-19: 25 clubs, a lower salary cap, and an ASW in Tatarstan

It never was. Last year in the Nylander threads it was pointed out to several fans who thought "OMG he'll run to Russia for millions" that " A top 10 salary in the KHL is $1.5 M. Only 7 guys get more than $2M and the couple getting around $4 M are Russian legends."

OTC

Jul 11, 2018
Who are these teams that are going to take a reclamation project with 5 years left on his deal without sending money back? This really isn't a difficult question. What teams:

1. Have a hole for a RD
2. Have the cap space to add Zaitsev, both now and in the long run

It shouldn't be a hard question to answer if he was so easily movable.

It's honestly amazing to me. Zaitsev is 28, coming off of 2 bad years in a row and is signed long term at top-4 D money. Why would any team trade for him without sending any money back? I honestly can't think of any guys in Zaitsev's position that were traded without sending salary back.
Without retaing any salary Toronto needs to sweeten the pot, maybe some Marlie prospects.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Agreed. It’s all about priorities......Leafs would have to move out one big contract or multi smaller ones to do it......depending on the contracts that will be harder or easier
Other than Kadri who is signed to a team friendly number and one would argue his value is less after his multiple suspensions. Nylander is the only contract that will make an impact on the cap. And he is close to 7M when Ehlers, Larkin, TT are all less signed to less under the same cap % when their deals kicked in. Had Dubas let Nylander sit out last year, I think he would have more value. If I were a GM I would insist on 1M retention there. That was the market for him. Even that move is difficult as is Zaitsev's contract is. Usually when that happens it is bad contract for bad contract or salary retention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad