Friedman: Nikita Zaitsev has requested a trade from Toronto

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Other than Kadri who is signed to a team friendly number and one would argue his value is less after his multiple suspensions. Nylander is the only contract that will make an impact on the cap. And he is close to 7M when Ehlers, Larkin, TT are all less signed to less under the same cap % when their deals kicked in. Had Dubas let Nylander sit out last year, I think he would have more value. If I were a GM I would insist on 1M retention there. That was the market for him. Even that move is difficult as is Zaitsev's contract is. Usually when that happens it is bad contract for bad contract or salary retention.

Zaitsev will not be easy to move, without retaining or giving something up or taking something bad back.

Nylander would be easy to move after his massive bonus is paid out.

No interest in Kadri, while I don’t doubt his points production would improve to the 50-55 point range playing on the 2C role on the Jets.......the analytics that people championed their case to call him a low end 1C (in the past) also show the rest of his game slipped this year which makes him less interesting overall.....people can’t use and ignore analytics just whenever it suits them. Plus his style wouldn’t mesh well with Ehlers/Laine dynamic style imo. Kadri doesn’t offer a significant enough upgrade over Little to be worth paying for. I’m not saying Kadri is terrible I’m saying he’s of no interest to the Jets imo. Plus Kadri is undependable due to his complete lack of ability controlling his emotions, which very possibly lead the Leafs to be booted in the 1st rd two years in a row.......at the very least significantly added to those loses. He’s literally one significant stick/hit infraction away from 20+ game suspension.....which doesn’t help any team.

To stay on subject here, Zaitsev is of no interest to the Jets.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Oh my God....LOL.
Lou left the table set?? The Marleau and Zaitsev's contracts are Lou's.

Scouts leaving? Ya, Hunter was up for GM and didn't get, so he pursued other employment.

Coaches leaving? Jesus man...Smith was offered a head coaching position...of course he left.

Players wanting to leave? plural? Ya...Zaitsev.

I get this is your wet dream scenario...but you gotta calm down a little.
Why did you leave out Rielly 5M, Kadri 4.5M, Hyman 2.25M, Andersen 5M, McElhinney as a cheap back up, drafted Marner, Matthews. Dion, Lupul, Robidas off the books? Lou Set the table.

NiL8r87

Jun 30, 2009
Ignore, be in denial, but there is something happening for Zaitsev to want out. We can only guess. But he signed 7 years under Babcock, DJ Smith, and Lou. Now he wants to leave? I am with Skinny here. Something may be going on here?

Maybe he just doesn't like his role after being featured more heavily on the Russian team...

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
That's the thing I want to know. Why does Zaitsev want to leave? Obviously he was happy when he signed for 7 years. What a difference a year has made. When Lou left, he set the table for Dubas, the team had a tonne of cap space, and now in just a year. The capspace is gone, no stability in the Head Coach, players want to leave, the head scout and scouts(Hunter, Hofford) and coaches(DJ Smith and Pierre Greco) have left. There is an air of disarray in what is happening there now. And as you put it so correctly Skinny. There is more Chaos to come going into the off season.

lmao

Yeah paying almost $11 million to replacement level players in Zaitsev and Marleau is a good way to make that cap space disappear. What a table that was set there!

Players wanted to leave under Lou all the time. Corrado wanted out. Leivo wanted out. Michalek, Cowen basically felt betrayed by the organization under him.

The absurdity of trying to frame DJ Smith going from an assistant in Toronto to a head coach elsewhere as disarray is just remarkable. That's actually a sign of a healthy organization if other franchises are poaching the Leafs talent. That's what happens to the best and most respected franchises.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
The only possible deal scenarios I see here for zaitsev is:
A) a gudbranson for pearson type... 2 meh players on similar contracts that need a refresh
B) zaitsev + sweetener
C) zaitsev for an even worse player (on a better contract; ie a team who has some cap space)
D) eating some of zaitsev cap in a hockey type deal (see a again)

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Fair assessment from the Jets point of view. What's interesting about this is most know Trouba wants out but the Jets also need to replace him on RD. Teams that are interested want to add a RD using other parts. How do the Jets trade Trouba and get the RD they need? Might require a 3 way trade.
Also, he has arb rights and can be a year away from UFA if a deal isn't worked out beforehand.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
There are a lot of clueless fans. This board has every team represented. On the other hand there are also knowledgeable fans from every fan base. The worst fans on the site are those that paint all the fans from a particular team as clueless either because of a disagreement, or as is often the case, as a rhetorical tool.

Ive been around here since 2002 the sample size is large and prevelant one fan base dominates the ratio by a wide margin. Of course there are intelligent fans in every fan base but as a group the Leaf fans are unmatched on the opposite end of the spectrum. Its not just on HF boards they shine on all platforms.

Reactions: NOLAPensFan

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The term is the problem, yep. I acknowledged that.

It will require some degree of creativity, but really it's just going to need a team far from the cap and/or in desperate need of a D. If their cap weren't an issue, Edmonton would be an example of the latter. Currently the Sens are an example of the former and the Coyotes have done this saving a team from a bad contract thing several times already.

With the cap problems Toronto is having and Kapanen/Johnsson/Marner all needing to be re-signed and not taking discounts, I don't see why they would be looking for value for Zaitsev. At this point, it helps them out as much as it helps anyone else to move Zaitsev out. Pending Gardiner's fate, Zaitsev became like their four or fifth best D after Muzzin came on and their two best prospects are D.

Teams have had the option to circle like vultures before and, like I said, there's always a team near the cap floor or in desperation mode willing to help out. I don't know what UFA market you're thinking of either. The NHL one is full of huge overpays and is where every players waits to make their big pay day. With the cap between 80 and 85 mil, 4.5 for a bottom 3 D with offensive upside really isn't hard to deal with for any team not in cap hell. Even on a 5 year term.

This is how I see it breaking down...

1) Starts with Marner. Leafs would like this done ASAP but also need to be frugal with their cap space. The more this gets delayed, the more is affects other things on the to do list.

2) Gardiner is gone. We all agree on this right?

3) Marleau. Dubas likely already knows if Marleau would waive his NMC or not. If he is OK to waive it, then the next question is to what teams? None of us know the answers to this and it's a huge part of the cap issues. If he says no to waiving his NMC, then there is a problem.

4) Hainsey will be back IMO. Even if he is 38, they need him on that RD side. He fits well with Rielly IMO.

5) One of Kapanen or Johnsson will be traded. I doubt Kadri or Nylander are traded. But you never know what trade discussions develop

6) What is the salary cap? Is it $83M or $85M? The extra $2M would go a long way!

7) Being tight against the cap has potential issues. What happens when a player gets hurt but is not on LTIR? You have to replace them in that short span with another depth salary. If you don't have space for this, it is very risky

8) Zaitsev? They will move him if they can and they have options to replace him on the RD side. But that is easier said than done.

Last edited:

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
-Hunter would not have left if Lou was rehired.
-Hofford would not have left if Hunter did not leave
-DJ Smith may have left because he knows Keefe is Dubas' guy
-Lou hired Greco, again when Lou was in charge there was stability
-Zaitsev committed to 7 years when Lou was in charge. Now he wants out.

Ignore, be in denial, but there is something happening for Zaitsev to want out. We can only guess. But he signed 7 years under Babcock, DJ Smith, and Lou. Now he wants to leave? I am with Skinny here. Something may be going on here?
You are dead wrong. Hunter thought he was to be Lou's replacement. Whether Dubas being hired or Lou being re-signed...Hunter was gone.

And again, you think DJ Smith is saying no to a head coaching job offer to remain an assistant? Get a grip.

Who cares about Greco, when a new GM is hired, he brings in his own people.

The Zaitsev reasoning could very well be a coaching issue, i think there is more than 1 player that has issues with the coach...by the way, who's the GM that hired Babcock....i can't seem to remember...

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I think you might be overly optimistic on that front. Heck, even Bob McKenzie just stated this morning it would be difficult for the Leafs to move Zaitsev, especially since they can't retain or take back another "bad" contract.
Did he? It might be diffucult. Dubas will have to focus on teams with more cap space.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
He's overpaid but a lot of teams need dependable RD and have some cap space. He has a $3m signing bonus due July 1 so he will be a bit easier to move afterwards (assuming they find a team that he wants to go to).

Still, it's a huge risk for any team picking him up because that's a lot of term left.

I also don't understand why Toronto is doing this because once he goes Justin Holl is their #1 right-handed defenseman.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The leafs will have a cap crunch this year possibly.

All depends on what is done this summer. Options are there but you need to get Marner signed, convince Marleau and the team of his choice to take him, and also try to find RD.

I think the biggest stumbling blocks are Marner and Marleau. Once you have Marner signed (who knows what the AAV will be) and Marleau traded to a team of his choice (Coyotes might be a good fit), that opens things up. If Marleau wants to stay, that creates a bigger problem in terms of who needs to be unloaded.

Zaitsev is under contract. If they can't move him, he has to play and he is a RD that the Leafs need. Problem is playing him in the top 4 when he is bottom pairing quality. At best he is a fringe top 4D quality but overpaid

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Not gonna lie, i'm curious as to why he wants out. Can't be homesick...going to another NHL team isn't solving that....

Doesn't exactly point to one big happy family. The Marner stuff is a bit of a red flag too but I'll put that one down to his agent.

Last edited:

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
All depends on what is done this summer. Options are there but you need to get Marner signed, convince Marleau and the team of his choice to take him, and also try to find RD.

I think the biggest stumbling blocks are Marner and Marleau.
Yes, it will be a busy summer in Leaf land. Lucky the Leafs will have other teams to get busy with.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Sorry guys with all that Sandin insanity your saying

Just a heads up

I was working at SportLogiQ (offical advanced stats provider for 26 NHL team) this winter and according to them Rasmus Sandin is a better prospect than Erik Brannstrom :)

I highly doubt Sandin is the sweetener to get rid of Zaitsev... In fact Sandin is pretty much untouchable.
Show me.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
-Hunter would not have left if Lou was rehired.
-Hofford would not have left if Hunter did not leave
-DJ Smith may have left because he knows Keefe is Dubas' guy
-Lou hired Greco, again when Lou was in charge there was stability
-Zaitsev committed to 7 years when Lou was in charge. Now he wants out.

his gm offered him a 7 year 4.5 million dollar contract after his first season in the NHL. I’m sure whether he liked Babcock or not at that time... his agent told him to sign the contract ASAP.

Reactions: zaqq

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
lmao

Yeah paying almost $11 million to replacement level players in Zaitsev and Marleau is a good way to make that cap space disappear. What a table that was set there!

Players wanted to leave under Lou all the time. Corrado wanted out. Leivo wanted out. Michalek, Cowen basically felt betrayed by the organization under him.

The absurdity of trying to frame DJ Smith going from an assistant in Toronto to a head coach elsewhere as disarray is just remarkable. That's actually a sign of a healthy organization if other franchises are poaching the Leafs talent. That's what happens to the best and most respected franchises.
The point is Zaitsev wants out now. This is not debatable. And it is right on topic. I pointed out possible reasons. Marner is now threatening to see other NHL teams on June 26 also. You may be in denial, but this amount of chaos didn't happen a year ago. What has changed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad