Friedman: Nikita Zaitsev has requested a trade from Toronto

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I am just going to throw this in here...the only reason Z has been made available is because he requested a trade. But....when asked, Dubas stated that while the will try to honor that, Zaitsev may remain a Leaf as he actually has a role here.

Long and short of it? Leafs aren't about to get bent over just to make a trade...if a deal comes that works? Sure....but they aren't paying a massive price just to move him.

Now i know the responses will be "they will if they want to move him!!", but right now, he's their ONLY NHLRHD. Why would they pay a big price to move someone when that's already your biggest need?

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
He didn't look that bad this year. I'm obviously not a leafs fan but I would not waste assets moving the guy unless I had to because of cap issues. He is nowhere near a 1-2 guy but as a borderline 4 most likely 5-6 he is not the worst.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Swapping Zaitsev with another bad contract is about the best case scenario for the Leafs.
Best case for Toronto is Zaitsev being ready to walk away from his contract and play in the KHL. This would give them some leverage in trade discussions with another NHL team. In all other scenarios I think GMs will ask for sweeteners from Toronto.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Why are they saving the leafs? Toronto needs cap space. Teams need Defencemen. Is he a little over paid. Sure. But teams want to help their own team. Not worry about saving Toronto. There’s a few small market teams that Zaitsev could help with the cap floor. Teams might actually believe they can turn this player around. Gm’s Take chances.
Name one team, which will have trouble to reach the cap floor (60 million). And there would be better options to do so. This argument (in bold) is not really valid.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Best case for Toronto is Zaitsev being ready to walk away from his contract and play in the KHL. This would give them some leverage in trade discussions with another NHL team. In all other scenarios I think GMs will ask for sweeteners from Toronto.
Not gonna lie, i'm curious as to why he wants out. Can't be homesick...going to another NHL team isn't solving that....

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Didn't I read somewhere that he has an out clause and can just go back to the KHL?
I don't think he will get 4.5 million $ yearly to play in the KHL. If he is willing to walk away from that money ...

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
And the TO chaos continues for this offseason. It was already gonna be entertaining as hell to see what Dubas does with his RFA situation, but now Zaitsev wants out... Hurry up playoffs and end!!.. I want all focus away from the game and all on the NHL offseason

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
He signed after playing an 82 game season notching 36 points.
he a had a solid world championship
the personal reasons he has could be related to culture ,family I doubt its coach related,once he played with muzzin he was fine
he may end up in Ottawa DJ played him a ton

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Easy no freaking way from the Jets.....not even remotely interested in that deal.

My hunch told me the Jets would not like it as much as the Leafs. Probably some Leafs fans who say no as well but not sure.

What's the plans with Trouba? Is he staying? If not, what type of return are the Jets looking for?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
And the TO chaos continues for this offseason. It was already gonna be entertaining as hell to see what Dubas does with his RFA situation, but now Zaitsev wants out... Hurry up playoffs and end!!.. I want all focus away from the game and all on the NHL offseason

Leaf fans don't like it but this is a very interesting situation to watch. Pretending that this is normal is a massive stretch. Dubas and his "leave some money on the table" buddy in Shanahan will be tested big time

Reactions: OTC

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
My point is, there will probably be worse deals signed in Free Agency this season, then what Zaitsev’s deal is. Zaitsev is a guy that traditional hockey folks love and 80% of GM’s are traditional based.

Lou loved Zaitsev. Babcock likes Zaitsev. Is it really that hard to believe there isn’t coaches or GMs around the league that also sees value in Zaitsev and may jump at the chance to add him for a low cost, especially if TOR tags in a prospect?

Frankly, it can go either way. Toronto got out of the Clarkson deal. They got out of the Phaneuf deal.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up in Vancouver and Toronto takes back Ryan Spooner or Tim Schaller or something
Spooner and Schaller as the return would be problematic for Toronto. They diminish the cap relief without helping to fill the gap at RHD. Toronto would need an additional RHD with only 1,4 - 2.6 million additional cap space. Not likely.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
There always seems to be a team willing to just save a team from a bad contract for very little, at least in the past. There's also teams out there with some pitiful blue-lines. I'm not sure Zaitsev necessary helps in that regard, but he's something to try at least if you're in that situation.

So I'll be surprised if they can't figure something out to get rid of him. The cap hit isn't that hard to deal with, it's just the length really.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nizdizzle

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
If he's unhappy, and he gets a 3m offer from a KHL team, he might choose happiness in his homeland.

I don't know what KHL players get so I'm just gonna work off the 3M number and assume it's realistic.

He'd be leaving at least 7.5 million on the table if he left then because it's a contract with 5 years left. Even assuming that KHL contract is 5 x 3 mil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad