Nikita Kucherov is the clear favorite for the Art Ross Trophy

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

mkatcherin00

Apr 2, 2023
I think Mackinnon wins it this year and McDavid will come in 2nd

Mackinnon prob wins the Hart too

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
MacKinnon will win the Heart

McDavid will win the Ross

Kucherov will forever be in this thread title

Bonus: Panarin will win the Cup

Reactions: HolyHagelin

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
It’s funny because you just know @Nathaniel had a pre written post ready to go about McDavid going pointless like ten minutes ago.
And just like that mack with a 4 point night back to a double digit lead. Haha you gotta love it. You guys getting to excited. Shhhhh

@Nathaniel will be back stronger than ever. I thought the 6 assist +6 game would be the end of him but he shrugged it off like a champ and continued the good fight
10 point lead again now.....

Mcdavid also has a paltry 23 goals. Wants to pull a 2007 thornton which is cute

• Haha
Reactions: crowfish

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Updated totals as of this morning:

Kucherov - on pace for 137 points and 50 goals in 81 games. 19 Games to go
MacKinnon on pace for 140 points and 51 goals in 82 games. 18 Games to go
McDavid on pace for 137 points and 105 assists in 80 games. 22 Games to go

Hell of a comeback past few games from MacKinnon, after slowing down slightly in february. He had a stretch of 9 points in 9 games - which for most players is great, ppg, but was a sharp down for MacKinnon after all-star break and he was losing ground. He's now bounced back with 16 points in his last 6 games.

For those wondering - Matthews is still on pace for 72 goals (amazing), but only 106 points. Definitely won't be winning the hart with those numbers. A couple of weeks ago, Matthews seemed to be on pace for 78 goals and closer to 115 points, and the other 3 had slowed down slightly and seemed to be pacing for closer to 130 points than 140.

78 goals/115 points vs ~130 points and less goals, I think Matthews had a serious shot at the Hart. As things stand right now, no.

I also don't think McDavid will win the hart, unless he wins the Ross by at least 5 points. Even then, I'm not sure.

I think the Hart race is between MacKinnon and Kucherov. I can see voters voting for the Art Ross winner as a differentiator. It's possible voters vote for MacK above Kucherov even if he is second in Art Ross because he never won a hart, but I hope not. Even though a lot of people say MacKinnon should have won the hart in 2018 - I actually think Kucherov should have won it above him that year too.

So.....my updated hart prediction:

1. Unless McDavid wins the Ross by at least 5 points - he's not winning the hart.
2. Unless Matthews scores over 77 goals and is within 15 points or less of Art Ross, he's not winning the hart
3. If MacKinnon wins the Art Ross - he's definitely winning the hart
4. If Kucherov wins the Art Ross - if he's ~3+ points up from MacKinnon he's winning the hart if he's only 1 or 2 points ahead, 50/50, I could see MacKinnon edge him out in a super close vote.

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal
Going all in secondary assists but hey they all count.
tobey-maguire-gonna-cry.gif

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Gonna go down to the wire. That wasn’t the last 4 point night we’ll see out of these guys this season.

MacKinnon is setting himself up nicely for the Hart. If he stays within 5 or so points of the Art Ross I expect he’ll get the lifetime achievement Hart.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
By all accounts, McDavid was playing injured and looked like garbage (relatively) for the first what, third of the season? Kucherov and MacKinnon have been firing on all cylinders for pretty much all season. Yet despite all that, McDavid still has a very good chance of finishing with more points than both of them. It's not a knock on Mack or Kuch. It's just a statement to how crazy ridiculous McDavid is offensively, especially when you factor in his snake bitten shooting %.
McDavid has been healthy this season. He started out healthy and slow by his standard, missed only 2 games due to injury, and then played through some discomfort for his first two games back. Otherwise, he has been completely healthy before and after the injury. It is not enough to excuse him losing an Art Ross race, if he does. McDavid does need to win this race to build his Big 4/5 legacy.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
McDavid has been healthy this season. He started out healthy and slow by his standard, missed only 2 games due to injury, and then played through some discomfort for his first two games back. Otherwise, he has been completely healthy before and after the injury. It is not enough to excuse him losing an Art Ross race, if he does. McDavid does need to win this race to build his Big 4/5 legacy.
Crazy take considering alot of people on this site go out of their way to watch oilers games , like we all know McDavid was hurt , we all have eyes ,not an excuse for McDavid but the fact you are trying to brush it off as if he was healthy the whole start of the season is hilariously biased

Fledgemyhedge

Apr 24, 2014
bob
And just like that mack with a 4 point night back to a double digit lead. Haha you gotta love it. You guys getting to excited. Shhhhh

10 point lead again now.....

Mcdavid also has a paltry 23 goals. Wants to pull a 2007 thornton which is cute
buddy you’re getting too lost in meaningless numbers you’re not enjoying an actual true generational talent. Only bested by Lemieux Gretzky Orr and Howe

way more fun to cheer for than against a player like that

Last edited:

phrenssoa

Nov 21, 2014
Winnipeg
McDavid may not may not have been playing injured earlier in the season. It’s a silly debate. Nothing has ever been confirmed by anyone. It could have been a cold streak. People can believe what they want.

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
Updated totals as of this morning:

Kucherov - on pace for 137 points and 50 goals in 81 games. 19 Games to go
MacKinnon on pace for 140 points and 51 goals in 82 games. 18 Games to go
McDavid on pace for 137 points and 105 assists in 80 games. 22 Games to go

Hell of a comeback past few games from MacKinnon, after slowing down slightly in february. He had a stretch of 9 points in 9 games - which for most players is great, ppg, but was a sharp down for MacKinnon after all-star break and he was losing ground. He's now bounced back with 16 points in his last 6 games.

For those wondering - Matthews is still on pace for 72 goals (amazing), but only 106 points. Definitely won't be winning the hart with those numbers. A couple of weeks ago, Matthews seemed to be on pace for 78 goals and closer to 115 points, and the other 3 had slowed down slightly and seemed to be pacing for closer to 130 points than 140.

78 goals/115 points vs ~130 points and less goals, I think Matthews had a serious shot at the Hart. As things stand right now, no.

I also don't think McDavid will win the hart, unless he wins the Ross by at least 5 points. Even then, I'm not sure.

I think the Hart race is between MacKinnon and Kucherov. I can see voters voting for the Art Ross winner as a differentiator. It's possible voters vote for MacK above Kucherov even if he is second in Art Ross because he never won a hart, but I hope not. Even though a lot of people say MacKinnon should have won the hart in 2018 - I actually think Kucherov should have won it above him that year too.

So.....my updated hart prediction:

1. Unless McDavid wins the Ross by at least 5 points - he's not winning the hart.
2. Unless Matthews scores over 77 goals and is within 15 points or less of Art Ross, he's not winning the hart
3. If MacKinnon wins the Art Ross - he's definitely winning the hart
4. If Kucherov wins the Art Ross - if he's ~3+ points up from MacKinnon he's winning the hart if he's only 1 or 2 points ahead, 50/50, I could see MacKinnon edge him out in a super close vote.
Love this analysis! Disagree about McDavid, if he wins the Art Ross with 100+ assists and oilers win the pacific, lock him up for the Hart. Just my .02.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
McDavid probably goes on a heater last 20 games IMO. 145ishpts to close out his 6th Ross and remain the undisputed best player.

Regardless of how the points race ends up I don't think McDavid's status is in doubt at all. His 7th (should've been 8 in a row, stupid COVID) 100 point season out of 9, 5 Art Ross' , 4 Ted Lindsay's, 3 Hart trophies and 1 Rocket trophy kinda cements the best player status.

That being said this is the year MacKinnon should win the Hart though, he's been a beast all year, plus he was robbed spectacularly in 2018.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Love this analysis! Disagree about McDavid, if he wins the Art Ross with 100+ assists and oilers win the pacific, lock him up for the Hart. Just my .02.
I know 100+ assists would be quite special, as it's only ever been done by Orr/Lemieux/Gretzky. But nonetheless - if you think about it rationally - if two players have 140 points, and one has 50 goals/90 assists and one has 30 goals/110 assists - by default the guy with more goals is usually seen as having had the better season.

So - despite the gaudy assists total - for similar amount of points, more goals is usually better.

Combine that with voter fatigue - the bar for McDavid to win the hart again will simply be higher this year.

Winning the Pacific (or maybe even President's Trophy?) for Oilers would be increible after how bad of a start they had. I think that's really McDavid's greatest shot at the hart - that voters correctly recognize how valuable he was to the Oilers amazing turn-around in-year and lean on that narrative when voting. But I think that narrative won't be as strong come April, since voters tend to a lot of have recency bias. Oilers have been safely in a playoff spot since January. That's a long time - I suspect this won't play as strongly for voters if he doesn't also have a strong point lead with the Ross.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
I know 100+ assists would be quite special, as it's only ever been done by Orr/Lemieux/Gretzky. But nonetheless - if you think about it rationally - if two players have 140 points, and one has 50 goals/90 assists and one has 30 goals/110 assists - by default the guy with more goals is usually seen as having had the better season.

So - despite the gaudy assists total - for similar amount of points, more goals is usually better.

Combine that with voter fatigue - the bar for McDavid to win the hart again will simply be higher this year.

Winning the Pacific (or maybe even President's Trophy?) for Oilers would be increible after how bad of a start they had. I think that's really McDavid's greatest shot at the hart - that voters correctly recognize how valuable he was to the Oilers amazing turn-around in-year and lean on that narrative when voting. But I think that narrative won't be as strong come April, since voters tend to a lot of have recency bias. Oilers have been safely in a playoff spot since January. That's a long time - I suspect this won't play as strongly for voters if he doesn't also have a strong point lead with the Ross.

Great point. That very well could happen. Either way, right or wrong, he will merely be a finalist if he can’t complete the Art Ross comeback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad