Waived: Nick Ritchie on Waivers (Cleared)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
images

Anybody seen Ritchie?

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I'm not being super detailed so you can quibble with the odd player I will list, but most of them are good players the Leafs desperately wish they could have/ could have kept/were still good when let go.

Kadri
C. Brown
Hyman
Kapanen
Johnsson

(had to let go maybe earlier than wanted)
Bozak
JVR

Literally no one there qualifies as someone they "desperately wish they could have kept." They wanted to dump Kadri after his incidents, Hyman/Bozak/JVR were older role players that got overpaid, the kind of contracts smart teams usually stay away from. Brown/Kapanen/Johnsson are the kind of luxury 3rd liners that most good teams have to shed every so often as their salary increases, this is not unique to Toronto. They still used Brown to help clear Zaitsev's salary and got a 1st for Kapanen so they weren't dealt for nothing. The Johnsson trade is the only one that really looks like a pure cap dump that they would not have done if they had more room. Every other move was still very defensible even if they weren't tight against the cap.

You know who the Leafs were actually desperate to keep? William Nylander, despite most of the local media and a lot of folks on this board repeatedly calling for him to be dealt for years.

Last edited:

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Going by his numbers, he’s the backup in Toronto.

Purely by the numbers Woll would be the backup. But the reality is both he and Mrazek have played a tiny number of games so take the numbers with a grain of salt.

That said, I do think the hyperbole on Koskinen is a bit extreme. He would be an adequate NHL backup playing once and a while. He's unfortunately had to play above his grade and on a team that isn't particularly strong defensively.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I don't think any leaf fans thought he would get claimed; they just wanted to brace themselves of the disappointment.
I had worried that he would get claimed, and while I didn't have to brace myself for disappointment, I knew it was a real possibility. Though we had a lot on our side- the extra year and the dollar number. We got him through- that is what is important. I think he will play in Colorado Saturday night. He travelled with the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad