Waived: Nick Ritchie on Waivers (Cleared)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Perhaps I haven't had enough coffee yet but which players are you referring to?
I'm not being super detailed so you can quibble with the odd player I will list, but most of them are good players the Leafs desperately wish they could have/ could have kept/were still good when let go.

Kadri
C. Brown
Hyman
Kapanen
Johnsson

(had to let go maybe earlier than wanted)
Bozak
JVR

Reactions: shadow1

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
As a Leafs fan who liked the signing in the offseason … he sucks. He’s a 13th forward getting paid like a 3rd liner. Doubt he gets claimed.

Should have went after Perry IMO who is cheaper. As a Habs fan, I would have hated it but that guy can still play and he's effective in the playoffs.

Good luck to the Leafs or any other Canadian team. This Habs fan won't see the playoffs again for a while yet. I'll be rooting for any Canadian team to go on a run. Leafs have a very good team but cap hell is a problem in terms of trying to improve. Probably got to get through Tampa which sucks.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I'm not being super detailed so you can quibble with the odd player I will list, but most of them are good players the Leafs desperately wish they could have/ could have kept/were still good when let go.

Kadri
C. Brown
Hyman
Kapanen
Johnsson

Bozak
JVR

So, Leafs have developed players well enough, that they had to leave, due to contracts? Yet somehow, the lineup is the most balanced it's ever been... as players leave, players also step in to replace them, and at a fraction of the cost. Stating some of these players, shows a lack of understanding of why there were moved, or what their roles were. Kadri was moved due to discipline problems, that went well beyond the playoff suspensions. His behaviour was unacceptable.

Brown was the 4RW on the Leafs, and as much as Leafs fans, and I loved him, he would never have been much more than that... it's great that he's been given opportunity, on a team with less depth at that position.

Hyman we'd love to have... but most certainly not at that price, and he's been replaced by Bunting, who has one less point on the season (more at 5v5), at $950k instead of $5.5 Mil.

It's as if you think somehow, the Leafs didn't have anybody to replace these players, and it's as if you think there isn't a salary cap.

Reactions: LeafGrief

NMacrules

May 30, 2021
Is it?

He plays center/wing. PKs. Can skate and has size (but not physical). And he has shown he can take shifts in the top9.

He is literally the perfect 4th liner
Engvall is garbage and the team will be better when he is gone. He is a turnover machine.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Homie, you have a good team, but you have been absolutely shedding depth over the last 5 years, like you could build a forward core that would be better than 5 teams in the league just on Leaf's cast offs. The Cap is like the bill at the end of the night, nobody drinks for free. Dubas has done some good scouting, and identified some high skill players, but some of his moves have absolutely f***ed your depth. Things are good now, but the noose will tighten which is why there is pressure to win something sooner rather than later.

They have shed a lot of depth players but they have also replaced them all and have an arguably deeper roster now than they have had since before I started watching 20 years ago.

I thought last season was their deepest roster but this year is their deepest roster

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Kadri
C. Brown
Hyman
Kapanen
Johnsson

Bozak
JVR
Thanks, appreciate the reply.

Every move made by any team is done with the cap in mind.
Brown, Johnsson and Kapanen are the only ones moved for cap reasons.
Bozak and JVR priced themselves out of this market. Kadri was a hockey trade.
Sure Kapanen and Brown would have been nice to retain but 3rd/4th liners are nothing to lose sleep over. That was more a rookie GM making some bad choices.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Homie, you have a good team, but you have been absolutely shedding depth over the last 5 years, like you could build a forward core that would be better than 5 teams in the league just on Leaf's cast offs. The Cap is like the bill at the end of the night, nobody drinks for free. Dubas has done some good scouting, and identified some high skill players, but some of his moves have absolutely f***ed your depth. Things are good now, but the noose will tighten which is why there is pressure to win something sooner rather than later.
The thing is....how can our depth be f***ed if we are a team with tons of depth? Not a single team can keep all their depth players long term. It is the way the NHL works. The bottom of the rosters will cycle in and out. If Dubas can continue to be shrewd at the bottom of the market then slightly over paying our top guys won't hurt as much as some people were sure it would.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
So, Leafs have developed players well enough, that they had to leave, due to contracts? Yet somehow, the lineup is the most balanced it's ever been... as players leave, players also step in to replace them, and at a fraction of the cost. Stating some of these players, shows a lack of understanding of why there were moved, or what their roles were. Kadri was moved due to discipline problems, that went well beyond the playoff suspensions. His behaviour was unacceptable.

Brown was the 4RW on the Leafs, and as much as Leafs fans, and I loved him, he would never have been much more than that... it's great that he's been given opportunity, on a team with less depth at that position.

Hyman we'd love to have... but most certainly not at that price, and he's been replaced by Bunting, who has one less point on the season (more at 5v5), at $950k instead of $5.5 Mil.

It's as if you think somehow, the Leafs didn't have anybody to replace these players, and it's as if you think there isn't a salary cap.
That’s basically how I feel. As long as they can keep replacing and developing their model works just fine, how many players were shipped out of Pittsburgh, Washington or Chicago over the years to make the cap work? And yes I realize the leafs haven’t won a series, let alone a cup. I’m just speaking from a pure financial standpoint.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
The thing is....how can our depth be f***ed if we are a team with tons of depth? Not a single team can keep all their depth players long term. It is the way the NHL works. The bottom of the rosters will cycle in and out. If Dubas can continue to be shrewd at the bottom of the market then slightly over paying our top guys won't hurt as much as some people were sure it would.
Easy answer: it’s not f*cked.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
I don’t understand the notion that the signing was a financial disaster, its a short term contract for a guy who in an ideal world could be a physical PF. That’s a very valued commodity. I understand why Toronto did it at the money they did it at. He either continues what he does and you lose nothing but short money or the change of scenery makes him pop and all of a sudden you have something of pretty substantial value

Yeah, exactly this. It was gamble and it didn't work out. Toronto got pushed around in the playoffs last year, it made sense to roll the dice on this kind of player, red flags notwithstanding.

Doubt he's claimed on waivers, but I could see some interest in him if the right team can get the cap to work. Looked decent in preseason, still has a nice package of size and hands, but can't put it together.

Skating is brutal. Effort hasn't been there. Not much else to be said.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Leafs fans this summer telling Bruins fans how successful he was going to be in his role with them and not wanting to listen to us when we said he’d mostly do nothing>>>>>

and I kinda liked him because he’d occasionally get angry and be a force. But god damn nobody has ever left me wanting more than him. He’s clearly got decent hands. He can be a physical monster. Just has no interest bringing it night in and night out
And we said Foligno would be ass for y'all but all I heard was he'd be a great addition.

Reactions: Kurtz

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I remember thinking his older brother could end up as a solid top-six option in Dallas, and.....yeah.

Just checked his hockeydb and he's yet to record a point this season with Calgary.

I wasn't even sure if he was still in the league. :laugh:

Guess there's a lot of underwhelming performance out of the Ritchie house.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Eh ones been trending up a little lately after being injured to start the year, the other is getting waived. Also most Bruins fans didn’t think foligno was gonna produce a whole lot….I’d rather sign him for no assets than give a 1st and watch him walk though champ ;)
I'd rather none tbh

Reactions: CDJ

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Kadri
C. Brown
Hyman
Kapanen
Johnsson

Bozak
JVR

The only guy there I miss, and I do I'd LOVE to have him back is Brown

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008

Kadri
C. Brown
Hyman
Kapanen
Johnsson

Bozak
JVR

Most of these were out of Dubas' hand, no team knew a flat cap was coming because of the pandemic.

I can say you can argue that Dubas has done more with little cap-space than most GMs in the NHL in the flat cap years.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
This contract was a blunder. The idea of Nick Ritchie is good, however, the actual player is not. Hard to imagine him getting claimed.

1.5m of wasted cap space in the minors/taxi squad is unfortunate, but not the end of the world.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
I wonder if there is another guy with a similar cap hit the Leafs could find in trade on D?

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
The only guy there I miss, and I do I'd LOVE to have him back is Brown

Even that's a bit of a stretch - he was never going to get the ice time here. We turned Kadri into Kerfoot and Barrie, Brown into Ceci, Hyman for nothing, Kapanen for Zallander and Amirov, and Johnsson for Anderson. we're at least getting decent pieces back for the majority of these losses, which is more than we were for a long stretch.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
delete

Last edited:

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Kadri
C. Brown
Hyman
Kapanen
Johnsson

Bozak
JVR

That's 32 million dollars worth of guys who either don't have a spot in our top 6 or are on the wrong side of 30. Closer to 40 million once Kadri gets paid this summer.

We get ripped for having 4 elite game changing forwards making half the cap, but not keeping half the cap in 6 middle-6ers is somehow a mistake.

Reactions: Nizdizzle and Kurtz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad