Waived: Nick Ritchie on Waivers (Cleared)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I had worried that he would get claimed, and while I didn't have to brace myself for disappointment, I knew it was a real possibility. Though we had a lot on our side- the extra year and the dollar number. We got him through- that is what is important. I think he will play in Colorado Saturday night. He travelled with the team.

That extra year is gonna be annoying and also why no one was gonna take him.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
So, Leafs have developed players well enough, that they had to leave, due to contracts? Yet somehow, the lineup is the most balanced it's ever been... as players leave, players also step in to replace them, and at a fraction of the cost. Stating some of these players, shows a lack of understanding of why there were moved, or what their roles were. Kadri was moved due to discipline problems, that went well beyond the playoff suspensions. His behaviour was unacceptable.

Brown was the 4RW on the Leafs, and as much as Leafs fans, and I loved him, he would never have been much more than that... it's great that he's been given opportunity, on a team with less depth at that position.

Hyman we'd love to have... but most certainly not at that price, and he's been replaced by Bunting, who has one less point on the season (more at 5v5), at $950k instead of $5.5 Mil.

It's as if you think somehow, the Leafs didn't have anybody to replace these players, and it's as if you think there isn't a salary cap.
Kadri was moved in part because of the Tavares signing which was a hat on a hat. He was also moved so that the Leafs could go all in by acquiring Tyson Barrie for a single year with retention while giving up an asset with several years left on a good deal in Kadri.

Brown was dealt so that they could sweeten the pot for Ottawa to take Zaitsev. You don't think the Leafs would love to have Brown now? Hyman has been 'replaced' by Bunting for 30 games so far, let's give it time.

Like I said, the Leafs are a good team, but this pipeline won't exist indefinitely. You can only shed good depth for so long.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Thanks, appreciate the reply.

Every move made by any team is done with the cap in mind.
Brown, Johnsson and Kapanen are the only ones moved for cap reasons.
Bozak and JVR priced themselves out of this market. Kadri was a hockey trade.
Sure Kapanen and Brown would have been nice to retain but 3rd/4th liners are nothing to lose sleep over. That was more a rookie GM making some bad choices.
I'm definitely not arguing that they are a bad team, they are objectively good, but they have shed a lot of talent and much of it in mediocre moves or due to mediocre decisions. My only point was that a team cannot continue doing that indefinitely. Look at the 2010's Hawks. Eventually it catches up.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Most of these were out of Dubas' hand, no team knew a flat cap was coming because of the pandemic.

I can say you can argue that Dubas has done more with little cap-space than most GMs in the NHL in the flat cap years.
Only Hyman left during the flat cap of the players on that list, no?

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Kadri was moved in part because of the Tavares signing which was a hat on a hat. He was also moved so that the Leafs could go all in by acquiring Tyson Barrie for a single year with retention while giving up an asset with several years left on a good deal in Kadri.

Brown was dealt so that they could sweeten the pot for Ottawa to take Zaitsev. You don't think the Leafs would love to have Brown now? Hyman has been 'replaced' by Bunting for 30 games so far, let's give it time.

Like I said, the Leafs are a good team, but this pipeline won't exist indefinitely. You can only shed good depth for so long.

Kadri is likely still here if he had the smarts to not get suspended every year in the playoffs. Could not be counted on when it mattered most.

Reactions: Dirty Sanchez

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Bruins fans warned Leafs fans. We experienced the same trend. The optimism at a top six winger with net front presence. Only to have Ritchie reveal that despite decent talent is simply too slow for an impact role. An NHL player but a bottom line one.

I would welcome him back for physicality but not with that contract.

Reactions: Antropovsky

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Kadri is likely still here if he had the smarts to not get suspended every year in the playoffs. Could not be counted on when it mattered most.
But if you weren't so cap restricted you could have gotten considerably more for him. I get that Barrie did worse than expected (although with Rielly, I didn't see why you needed him), but due to cap constraints you paid a premium for a player with retention for only a single year, so even if he had done well he couldn't have likely stayed.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
The other thing that’s overlooked is that Ritchie had 6 points in his last 11, so it’s not like he was horrible during that stretch, but the leafs are a deep team.

Reactions: teddygmr

Vukotal Recall

Jan 30, 2010
I'm not being super detailed so you can quibble with the odd player I will list, but most of them are good players the Leafs desperately wish they could have/ could have kept/were still good when let go.

Kadri
C. Brown
Hyman
Kapanen
Johnsson

(had to let go maybe earlier than wanted)
Bozak
JVR

evanrodrigues.jpeg

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Seeing how he’s supposed to play tonight due to players in protocol , having him on the taxi squad seems like a good option.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
But if you weren't so cap restricted you could have gotten considerably more for him. I get that Barrie did worse than expected (although with Rielly, I didn't see why you needed him), but due to cap constraints you paid a premium for a player with retention for only a single year, so even if he had done well he couldn't have likely stayed.

Kerfoot was part of the deal too. He's a serviceable middle 6 forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad