Waived: Nick Ritchie on Waivers (Cleared)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
If he gets bought out it will be because they have to sign Campbell not because he makes 3.3 next year Leafs don't care about real dollars
Then they should of front loaded it and not back loaded the deal then, would of made it easier.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Wonder how he feels knowing that Riley Nash got claimed and he didnt...

CheerstoBeers

Jan 28, 2008
This is a no lose situation.

Either he gets claimed and his 2.5 million is gone giving them cap space to add at the deadline.

Or he goes to the taxi squad and becomes an option in case of injury.

If your forward group is deep enough to have Nick Ritchie as a potential Taxi squad option that's not a bad thing

It's a lose situation because he was signed to be a goal scorer who hasn't worked out. Leaf fans had high hopes that he could be a guy who could put up 20-30 goals and be a perfect fit in TO. So you lost in that scenario

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It's a lose situation because he was signed to be a goal scorer who hasn't worked out. Leaf fans had high hopes that he could be a guy who could put up 20-30 goals and be a perfect fit in TO. So you lost in that scenario

Nobody thought he'd score 30 here and I don't think many thought he'd score 20 either since his career high is 15

Reactions: DJN21

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

Not a single leaf fan expected any goals, they were hoping for physicality

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010

I don't recall anyone saying that. I think at best fans were hoping for either a fourth line grinder or a third line guy who could contribute offensively occasionally. Im sure the same reasons you guys gave it a whirl. Noone thought he would be playing with Pasta just like noone here thought he would be playing with Matthews.

Still find it funny how pissed I was when we picked Nylander over him. Guess thats why Im not an NHL scout.

LucicAndChong

formerly known as Big Sugar
Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada
No they care about cap hit which is why he'll be bought out.....
He probably won’t be bought out.

Kessel finally comes off the books after this year, and then Ritchie would be on the books for another $1 mil if he gets bought out.

they’ll either trade him (probably have to add a pick to get someone to take him) or keep him on the marlies as an injury call up.

you can do a lot worse than Ritchie as an injury call up

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto

Nobody here expected him to score 30 goals, not even 20 lol. The hope was that he can be a bottom 6 guy who can be a physical presence and chip in a bit offensively. But he's completely useless. Doesn't provide anything. Can't score, not physical enough, can't skate, can't defend, he literally brings nothing to the table. Yeah he fights here and there but as a hockey player he's absolutely useless.

We needed a guy with size who can throw it around, that was the hope but he can't even do that. Basically hoped he could be a poor mans Dustin Penner.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
How many more points does Ritchie need to get to this season to be a asset we can move without attaching a +?

Right now he has 9pts in 31 games.

We have another 21 scheduled games before the TDL. Assuming a few are put into the 3 week break, and a few more get moved but they equal out more or less, lets just assume we have 21 more.

If he goes 11p in 21 games, putting him at 20p in 62... is that still negative value territory?

Just trying to figure out how much better he needs to be to at least not cost us assets to move before the TDL if we want to bring in a bigger cap hit player.

CheerstoBeers

Jan 28, 2008
Not a single leaf fan expected any goals, they were hoping for physicality

Completely not true. Im not gonna go back and look but I recall many fans saying he would find his game in Toronto and chip in offensively. It got louder when he had a little success in the preseason.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
He probably won’t be bought out.

Kessel finally comes off the books after this year, and then Ritchie would be on the books for another $1 mil if he gets bought out.

they’ll either trade him (probably have to add a pick to get someone to take him) or keep him on the marlies as an injury call up.

you can do a lot worse than Ritchie as an injury call up

He gets bought out 00% if not moved by the summer. The buyout is only a 300k cap hit. It frees up 2.2 million to buy him out.
ap Hit Calculations

SEASONINITIAL BASE SALARYINITIAL CAP HITSIGNING BONUSBUYOUT COSTPOST-BUYOUT EARNINGSSAVINGSCAP HIT (
toronto_maple_leafs.svg
TOR)
2022-23$3,300,000$2,500,000$0$1,100,000$1,100,000$2,200,000$300,000
2023-24$0$0$0$1,100,000$1,100,000-$1,100,000$1,100,000
TOTAL$3,300,000$2,500,000$0$2,200,000$2,200,000$1,100,000$1,400,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Completely not true. Im not gonna go back and look but I recall many fans saying he would find his game in Toronto and chip in offensively. It got louder when he had a little success in the preseason.

That's very different then saying people expected 30 goals.

Chipping in offensively is 10-15 goals not 20-30

CheerstoBeers

Jan 28, 2008
That's very different then saying people expected 30 goals.

Chipping in offensively is 10-15 goals not 20-30

Hey, I was the one saying just wait and see and that they'll regret the signing. I can't help what desperate, rabid pre season Leaf fans had for expectations and were saying and typing. And I really don't give a flying f&@$ if ya believe me or not... Not every Lead fan I speak to is a member of these boards

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
How many more points does Ritchie need to get to this season to be a asset we can move without attaching a +?

Right now he has 9pts in 31 games.

We have another 21 scheduled games before the TDL. Assuming a few are put into the 3 week break, and a few more get moved but they equal out more or less, lets just assume we have 21 more.

If he goes 11p in 21 games, putting him at 20p in 62... is that still negative value territory?

Just trying to figure out how much better he needs to be to at least not cost us assets to move before the TDL if we want to bring in a bigger cap hit player.
Right now there seems to be a Lawson Crouse craze. He's getting good ice time on an awful Coyotes team and he is finally putting up some offense. Before this season he was a 25 point career high point getter. Both Crouse and Ritchie are pretty similar in their aggression. Crouse is a better defensive player and he can move quicker. But, Ritchie is historically a more productive offensive option and a little more feared without gloves on. Ritchie makes more this season, but Crouse is an RFA at season's end and if he continues at his current pace he could receive well above 3M on a multi year deal. Ritchie just has the one year left at 2.5M.

I just won't be able to make sense of it if Crouse nets a 1st rd. pick or something of similar value while Ritchie is buyout material. I think closer to the deadline, Ritchie will rebound and teams will look to add and a home can be found for Ritchie. Truthfully, they should profit from it, not lose assets because of it. He hasn't fit in that well with Toronto, but he is a capable bottom-6 forward and his contract is not really that bad.

Marner4Life

Feb 12, 2019
Right now there seems to be a Lawson Crouse craze. He's getting good ice time on an awful Coyotes team and he is finally putting up some offense. Before this season he was a 25 point career high point getter. Both Crouse and Ritchie are pretty similar in their aggression. Crouse is a better defensive player and he can move quicker. But, Ritchie is historically a more productive offensive option and a little more feared without gloves on. Ritchie makes more this season, but Crouse is an RFA at season's end and if he continues at his current pace he could receive well above 3M on a multi year deal. Ritchie just has the one year left at 2.5M.

I just won't be able to make sense of it if Crouse nets a 1st rd. pick or something of similar value while Ritchie is buyout material. I think closer to the deadline, Ritchie will rebound and teams will look to add and a home can be found for Ritchie. Truthfully, they should profit from it, not lose assets because of it. He hasn't fit in that well with Toronto, but he is a capable bottom-6 forward.
Ritchie was brought here for playoff hockey. he plays big heavy game which Toronto didn't play verse Montreal last year. I expect the best has yet to come from Ritchie when games really matter.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
He gets bought out 00% if not moved by the summer. The buyout is only a 300k cap hit. It frees up 2.2 million to buy him out.
ap Hit Calculations

SEASONINITIAL BASE SALARYINITIAL CAP HITSIGNING BONUSBUYOUT COSTPOST-BUYOUT EARNINGSSAVINGSCAP HIT (
toronto_maple_leafs.svg
TOR)
2022-23$3,300,000$2,500,000$0$1,100,000$1,100,000$2,200,000$300,000
2023-24$0$0$0$1,100,000$1,100,000-$1,100,000$1,100,000
TOTAL$3,300,000$2,500,000$0$2,200,000$2,200,000$1,100,000$1,400,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

He probably won’t get bought out. He can be buried next year and only cost 1.3 million against the cap.

it saves nothing really to but him out. If anything they would probably just take a 1 way minor deal for a worse player to save cap hit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad