NHL & Vegas Part Deuces Wild: Betting it all on Black (Knights)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Eh, the only timetable I see is for them to have it done before the awards show. That seems to be the primo time for the league to make a certain positive announcement about Vegas' future, after all.

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
Eh, the only timetable I see is for them to have it done before the awards show. That seems to be the primo time for the league to make a certain positive announcement about Vegas' future, after all.

I think the NHL would have likely wanted this done by March 18th, the last day of NHL General Manager meetings

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I think the NHL would have likely wanted this done by March 18th, the last day of NHL General Manager meetings

I'm sure that they'd like it as soon as possible, but if push comes to shove I'm sure that they could conference call it or have an informal vote ahead of time about what they'd like to do if they reach the target by a future timeline.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
No, I shouldnt anything like that PCS, not a "proxy". Its not just MGM here (who have pre-existing relationships with Foley & the Maloofs), throw AEG into the mix, ultimate NHL insiders, the league itself with business & personal connections to Nevada & throughout the SW & so on.... Dots connect... you were just missing one... forgot about AEG perhaps?

As a Timbers fan, I try to erase AEG from my mind at every opportunity... and I could argue it's just because they tried to foist Switchfoot on me at one of the MLS Cup halftime shows (in Carson, of course). But there's bigger reasons.

Why not? The NHL (unlike the NFL) has no restriction against corporate ownership.

Guilty of projection. I believe NFL (with the Green Bay grandfather), MLB, and NBA do this so there need not be any public disclosure of the balance sheet and P&L statements... so I've heard testimony that "all of them do it." MLS is hardly forthcoming (and soccer fans are the least likely to accept that). Actually kind of surprises me that NHL doesn't. GIVE ME MY 10-Q!

Last edited:

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Guilty of projection. I believe NFL (with the Green Bay grandfather), MLB, and NBA do this so there need not be any public disclosure of the balance sheet and P&L statements... GIVE ME MY 10-Q!

Both the NBA and MLB allow corporate ownership - Comcast used to own the 76ers and the Tribune Company the Cubs.

Concerns about earnings reports and SEC filings really aren't relevant. The sports teams are generally owned by wholly owned subsidiaries that are not broken out and individually reported. For example, here is all NBC Universal's 10-K filing has to say about the Flyers - included with all of Comcast-Spectacor within a single "other" line item.

"Other revenue primarily relates to Comcast-Spectacor, which owns the Philadelphia Flyers and the Wells Fargo Center arena in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and operates arena management-related businesses. "

edit:

And for MSG, the 10-Q filings just break out single line items for the total revenues/expenses for MSG Sports.

"MSG Sports owns and operates the following sports franchises: the New York Knicks (the "Knicks") of the National Basketball Association (the "NBA"), the New York Rangers (the "Rangers") of the National Hockey League (the "NHL"), the New York Liberty (the "Liberty") of the Women's National Basketball Association (the "WNBA"), the Hartford Wolf Pack of the American Hockey League (the "AHL"), which is the primary player development team for the Rangers, and the Westchester Knicks, an NBA Development League (the "NBADL") team. MSG Sports also promotes, produces and/or presents a broad array of other live sporting events outside of the Company's sports franchises' games."

Last edited:

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
If it's 8000 today, that means about 1000 in the last 2 weeks. I am going to look up that 7600 tweet.

In any case, the pace is really slowing down.

And, that is what you would expect. They got the low hanging fruit first, and now the hard part comes in.... Convincing the casual fan to buy in to the idea.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
I think they will still get there at the end of the day. As long as the goal is reached by mid June, all systems will be a go for an announcement in my view.

If they're still short by a bit, a conditional franchise can always be awarded to create a buzz with a more real team. If they go that route, I would love to see the goal increased to 12K - same as the last 4 expansion teams.

IceAce

Strait Trippin'
Jun 9, 2010
Philadelphia
The 8k is pretty impressive when you think about it.

1. Non-traditional hockey market
2. Non pro sports market
3. The team is only a hypothetical at this point (you're basically giving them an interest free loan with your $ for up to 2 years)
4. This figure excludes corporate buys

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA

2. Non pro sports market
3. The team is only a hypothetical at this point (you're basically giving them an interest free loan with your $ for up to 2 years)

It's one of my favorite dead horses to beat, but when you compare it to previous ticket drives (with the obvious Winnipeg exception) it's being done in a pretty short amount of time as well. Like you said, without a team too.

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
It's one of my favorite dead horses to beat, but when you compare it to previous ticket drives (with the obvious Winnipeg exception) it's being done in a pretty short amount of time as well. Like you said, without a team too.

I just feel getting 2000 more will be so difficult, more difficult than the first 8000. If a person does not get one in the first month, will be tough to convince the rest of them.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

2. Non pro sports market

Pretty much man. I'm pretty impressed myself. I had my doubts there would be this much interest in deposits on a hypothetical team.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I just feel getting 2000 more will be so difficult, more difficult than the first 8000. If a person does not get one in the first month, will be tough to convince the rest of them.

It might be, but they say it takes 10 impressions to make a mark on somebody, and the low key marketing approach Hockey Vision has taken should start paying dividends soon. Plus, with each passing day we get further and further from the publicly funded stadium debacle that happened at about the same time as the beginning of the drive.

I'm not saying that those uninformed people are likely purchasers, but they're the loudest voice against pro sports here in Vegas and the vast majority of the (non-Canadian) negativity on social media and they're slowly going away.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
It might be, but they say it takes 10 impressions to make a mark on somebody... I'm not saying that those uninformed people are likely purchasers, but they're the loudest voice against pro sports here in Vegas and the vast majority of the (non-Canadian) negativity on social media and they're slowly going away.

Making a mark, I reckon thats already been done, minute it was announced... NHL in Vegas? What?... like hearing about a mile wide giant triangle moving across the desert at about 15mph a mere 300' up... cant be happening... can it?... ah, ya. It is, has happened.... some people are just fence sitters, like marathoners, like to straggle in the pack, save their energy for the end-run, the close. Vegas hits its goal no problem..... And ya, interesting. Ive noted that as time goes on far less incredulity and skepticism about it all, people warming up to the idea and on both sides of the border. This isnt a situation whereby the clubs fortunes are tied to public largesse in the form of subsidies, all private money, not lookin for handouts, willing to stand on their own two feet. Regionally & divisionally it works extremely well, associatively & creatively, from a marketing perspective, works on a whole bunch of levels provided of course Foley has his act together. Hard to imagine he wouldnt really.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Just got this email from Vegas Hockey

On behalf of Hockey Vision Las Vegas, thank you for your interest in our season ticket deposit campaign. We have moved closer to our goal and have now sold more than 8,000 season ticket deposits! We are less than 2,000 from our goal of 10,000 and need your help!

We’ve yet to secure your season ticket deposit and wanted to remind you about just a few of the great benefits that we will offer exclusively to our season ticket holders:
· Free replica jersey for every two seats purchased (up to 3 per account) for our inaugural 2016 season ticket holder gift

· Seats available for as low as $20/game (anticipated 43 home games)

· Interest-free payment plans to pay off season tickets over time

· Deposits start at just $150 and lock in priority for seat selection if awarded a team

Deposits can be made online at www.VegasWantsHockey.com or by contacting our Season Ticket Sales & Service department at 702-NHL-HCKY (645-4259). With less than 2,000 season ticket deposits to go, Let’s Make History!

Best,
Todd

Todd Pollock
Director, Ticket Sales
Hockey Vision Las Vegas
Office: 702-NHL-HCKY (645-4259)

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Uh oh... first the very pleasant Toni with that earlier phone call... now....

Hockey Las Vegas just called...

Todd Pollock
Director, Ticket Sales
Hockey Vision Las Vegas

The Closer - Ball Busting Todd Pollock - Director, Ticket Sales...

"Fenway? Be a Man. Your wife wants it, wants those trips to Vegas... you dont buy this... Divorce gunna cost you a lot more than a few grand."

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Just got this email from Vegas Hockey

Here's the other one for those of us that put the dough down. :laugh:

BattleBorn,

On behalf of Hockey Vision Las Vegas, thank you for your support and commitment to help bring an NHL franchise to Las Vegas!
I am happy to let you know that our season ticket drive has now exceeded 8,000 season ticket deposits, which means we are more than 80% towards our goal of 10,000 season ticket deposits. Your support has been an integral part of our success and we greatly appreciate your passion and desire to help bring an NHL franchise to this great city.
As we make our final push to 10,000 deposits, we ask you to encourage your friends, family, and colleagues to support this historical initiative! And, be sure to spread the word about our season ticket holder benefits:

· Free replica jersey for every two seats purchased (up to 3 per account) for our inaugural 2016 season ticket holder gift
· Seats available for as low as $20/game
· Interest-free payment plans to pay for season tickets over time
· Deposits start at just $150 and lock in priority for seat selection if awarded a team
· Season ticket holder Ticket Re-sale program – sell tickets to games you cannot attend[KM1]

Please forward this message to your contacts. Deposits can be made online at www.VegasWantsHockey.com or by contacting our Season Ticket Sales & Service office at 702-NHL-HCKY (645-4259).
Again, thank you for your commitment and assistance. With less than 2,000 season ticket deposits to go, Let’s Make History!

Best,
Todd

Todd Pollock
Director, Ticket Sales
Hockey Vision Las Vegas
[email protected]
702-645-4259

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

"Fenway? Be a Man. Your wife wants it, wants those trips to Vegas... you dont buy this... Divorce gunna cost you a lot more than a few grand."

I was wondering if Fen's ever going to plunk down for a couple of seats. ;)

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I was wondering if Fen's ever going to plunk down for a couple of seats. ;)

More curiously, why is he being contacted at all? They should be checking IP Addresses for location and if not Las Vegas proper, Clark County & environs, file those ones away for later. Try & sell them weekender or mid-week packages down the road. Though I suppose they might be looking at it as someone who's a part time resident of Vegas or Nevada expressing interest from a Toronto, Boston, New York or wherever and dont wanna close the door.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
More curiously, why is he being contacted at all? They should be checking IP Addresses for location and if not Las Vegas proper, Clark County & environs, file those ones away for later. Try & sell them weekender or mid-week packages down the road. Though I suppose they might be looking at it as someone who's a part time resident of Vegas or Nevada expressing interest from a Toronto, Boston, New York or wherever and dont wanna close the door.

They're probably operating under the assumption that the people that signed up for information on season tickets are actually potentially interested in purchasing season tickets. :laugh:

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera

Post of the day......:laugh:

So it becomes the question which is cheaper, season tix or a divorce? :naughty:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
They're probably operating under the assumption that the people that signed up for information on season tickets are actually potentially interested in purchasing season tickets. :laugh:

Well, ya. But when you fill out the form on the website, wanthockeyvegas or whatever, your supposed to include your phone number, right? .... Las Vegas, thats Area Code 702 or if your a Newbie, might get stuck with a 725.... so, what were these Salespeople thinking, Toni & Todd there when they see Fenways' phone number, Boston Area Code 617 or 857?... assumed that its Nevada & he prolly live's off grid & off the map up around Groom Lake? Riding the range in a disc powered by zero point energy up at Paradise Ranch mutilating cattle and just dont bother asking because you just dont ask questions or what?

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
Well, ya. But when you fill out the form on the website, wanthockeyvegas or whatever, your supposed to include your phone number, right? .... Las Vegas, thats Area Code 702 or if your a Newbie, might get stuck with a 725.... so, what were these Salespeople thinking, Toni & Todd there when they see Fenways' phone number, Boston Area Code 617 or 857?... assumed that its Nevada & he prolly live's off grid & off the map up around Groom Lake? Riding the range in a disc powered by zero point energy up at Paradise Ranch mutilating cattle and just dont bother asking because you just dont ask questions or what?

How long before they start calling Canada I wonder.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad