Post-Game Talk: NHL Trade Deadline - Canucks trade Diaz for a 5th, Kesler remains a Canuck

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tony Clifton

Feb 23, 2013
You're full of crap nameless. I don't like the Whinguins either but now you are just typing nonsense for the sake of nonsense. Give it a rest.

Ducksgo*

How many pieces was Anaheim rumored to trade? I thought we only offered our 4 picks. Reading some of your posts Gillis wanted Lindholm?

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Im just trying to understand how so? How would a rumor spread by pens staff drive other teams away?

I think that person thinks it would have drove away potential bidders because time was running out and they may not have wanted to waste their time if GMMG wasn't able to deal. I don't by that theory though.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I think that person thinks it would have drove away potential bidders because time was running out and they may not have wanted to waste their time if GMMG wasn't able to deal. I don't by that theory though.

I see.

That theory also seems difficult for me to believe.

I would assume gm's would just call gillis and confirm if he was still available and what would get the deal done... and they would also be highly suspicious of what the pens camp is leaking.

Just an example nameless if you were the flyers would you put any stock in what is being leaked out by Pittsburgh?

I also think the market for kesler became quiet simply because gillis was not wavering on what he and ownership wanted.

Last edited:

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
What's the scouting report on Vatanen? Saw his name thrown into most Anaheim offers and all I see is a fast undersized D-man

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
How would that put pressure on gillis? Agree its damage control though, but because it reflects badly on them.

I see.

I would assume gm's would just call gillis and confirm if he was still available and what would get the deal done... and they would also be highly suspicious of what the pens camp is leaking.

Just an example nameless if you were the flyers would you put any stock in what is being leaked out by Pittsburgh?

It may have been a coincidence...
But I noticed that the market for Kesler quieted down when the rumour spread.
Teams began to drop out of the race for Kesler shortly afterwards.

With the way things are leaked left and right...
I do not think any GM wants a situation where they thought they had a deal done...
Everybody knew about it via twitter...
Only for it to be vetoed somehow.
It would be like the Boston situation with Ignila...
And even though it was not Chiarelli's fault...
He got flack for it...
And he had to hold a press conference to explain the non-deal.

CanucksOo

Jul 29, 2006
California
How many pieces was Anaheim rumored to trade? I thought we only offered our 4 picks. Reading some of your posts Gillis wanted Lindholm?
Wouldn't be surprised but nothing confirmed regarding Lindholm. I've read something along the lines of Etem or Vatanen + 1st (don't know if OTT) + 2nd. Clearly not enough especially considering we were targeting a young, established C.

Have your local beat writers said anything about what was offered?

Last edited:

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
You're full of crap nameless. I don't like the Whinguins either but now you are just typing nonsense for the sake of nonsense. Give it a rest.

It is just what I noticed.
I will gladly apologize if I am completely wrong...
And it was just an honest mistake by the staffers.
I could very well be wrong...
Because I have no connections what-so-ever.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I also think the market for kesler became quiet simply because gillis was not wavering on what he and ownership wanted.

Yeah...
Fair enough.
I just thought it was too much of a coincidence...
And Boston is fresh on everyone's minds.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Wouldn't be surprised but nothing confirmed regarding Lindholm. I've read something along the lines of Etem or Vatanen + 1st (don't know if OTT) + 2nd. Clearly not enough especially considering we were targeting a young, established C.

I read anything from 4 draft picks...
To Etem + Anaheim 1st...
To Etem + Vatanen + Anaheim 1st.
I have heard that the Canucks really wanted Hampus Lindholm...
And that was a non-starter.

Who knows what the true offers were?

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
I see.

I also think the market for kesler became quiet simply because gillis was not wavering on what he and ownership wanted.[/QUOTE]

Most likely scenario.

Not only makes the most sense, it's the explanation that gives me the most confidence in the management group

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
It may have been a coincidence...
But I noticed that the market for Kesler quieted down when the rumour spread.
Teams began to drop out of the race for Kesler shortly afterwards.

With the way things are leaked left and right...
I do not think any GM wants a situation where they thought they had a deal done...
Everybody knew about it via twitter...
Only for it to be vetoed somehow.
It would be like the Boston situation with Ignila...
And even though it was not Chiarelli's fault...
He got flack for it...
And he had to hold a press conference to explain the non-deal.

I see, well were all just guessing here.

I personally think teams began to drop out simply because they came in thinking gillis was easy pickings and was on the hot seat and would force his hand and force him to make a bad deal. And when he wouldn't waiver, talks with teams died.

And from my discussion with mike, I differ with him and felt the pens very much cared about that info leaking and apologized when internal comments got out.

I think shero went into the day internally like most teams do with a strategy and his internal staff as usual was well aware of that strategy. He began telling his staff gillis was on the hot seat and he has to do something with an unhappy kesler after the roberto situation. Shero thought he would force his hand and get a steal of a deal for kesler centered around sutter. Kesler may have even told bylsma at the olympics he wanted to come to the pens, who knows...And when things did not go according to plan and gillis refused to budge shero internally started blaming the canucks owners for his inability to complete a deal and pluck kesler from gillis. And i think that info got leaked he did not intend it to and was likely upset and embarrassed as it could strain relationships and thus the apology.

And i bring up the tva gillis argument because that is also something that does not leak to the media and gillis clearly didnt want it leaked, but it did and why he was so upset and embarrassed they reported the av firing before he could even notify av himself. Clearly some nhl teams have high level leaks on staff.

It just does not look good for the canucks or the pens to have that kind of info leaking about owners to the media especially when your going to continue negotiations with said party over summer and piss them off in the process. But again if he intended it, it was a gutsy move to try to save face with pens fans.

Last edited:

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I for one am glad Gillis held his ground. This was a buyers market and other top players (albeit ufa's) were moved for peanuts. It doesn't make sense to move him for the sake of moving him. If teams are truly interested in Kesler they'll come back around and pay the price.

It's funny how social media can become gospel around these parts sometimes. IMac said on the radio today there was absolutely no chance the aquillinis veto'd a kesler trade. He said that rumor was released from the penguins camp, who later came out and apologized for it. Again that is our media's word versus what their media says so take it with a grain of salt.

Ducksgo*

Yah from BM directly was tweeted from our beat writers.

“@icemancometh: Bob Murray said he put his two firsts and two seconds in play. Said he was left "confused" about deal that didn't get done, i.e. Kesler.â€

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
Did Kesler really ask for a trade?

I couldn't find any sources to confirm it.
Or was it just Gillis listening to offers?
A bit of both?

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
totally throwing stuff against the wall to see if it will stick but...

maybe kesler's reputation preceded him and teams didn't wanna touch him with a 10 ft pole unless it was for a steal of a deal.

all you gotta do is a quick google search to find out about his alleged extra-curricular activities.

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary
totally throwing stuff against the wall to see if it will stick but...

maybe kesler's reputation preceded him and teams didn't wanna touch him with a 10 ft pole unless it was for a steal of a deal.

all you gotta do is a quick google search to find out about his alleged extra-curricular activities.

Didn't stop teams from wanting Jeff Carter or Mike Richards.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
good point

but i think the alleged activities of these players are different if i'm not mistaken

Allegations against Carter was worst.
It was in the Kirk MacLean and Jeff Brown territory.
He still got dealt...
Twice.

Reputations does not matter too much...
As long as the player can play.
The only way a player will be freeze out is when he speaks out against the league...
Without the protection of a contract.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I don't understand the hate the canucks are getting for failing apparently at the trade deadline. They unloaded luongos contract for a cheaper younger goalie with high potential and a decent player who has talent but needed a change of scenery. Got rid of the goalie distractions too. Didn't trade Kesler who in my opinion is in a class by himself. Plus his contract is good.

You have no idea how much I agree with this.

Kickassguy

High-End Intangible
Sep 24, 2002
Vancouver + NYC
Here's the Bob McKenzie interview Orca referenced on 1040:

http://www.teamradio.ca/podcast/1040_midday_show/Sekeres_and_Price_March_6th_Hour_3~.mp3

He starts discussing Kesler offers at around 33:30.

He mentions that when he brought up Pouliot with anyone in the Pittsburgh organization that they said he wouldn't be included.

:biglaugh:

Hi, we want your top-3-in-the-league 2-way 2nd line center but don't want to give you anything useful except a young-ish 3rd liner.

Please?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad