Prospect Info: Lane Hutson Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sagikev

Chadstudsky
Sep 16, 2018
Hutson should (and probably will) reach 180lbs. He'd be the same height/weight than Q.Hughes.

Pretty sure with some muscle mass he won't lose speed but could gain a bit by creating more power.

I love the kid already and he's only 20. Not all guys are physically mature at 20 let alone 18.
He needs more mass and strength for sure. My hopes are that his shot get just a bit heavier and he gains more strength and power in his legs. Getting just a bit faster at top speed would do wonders for his game.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Phil Housley comparison is good one. I can see similarities in both players
I don’t think there’s a really good comparison for him, besides a few current players.

He plays a modern game - concepts so different than even 10 years ago. Coaches 20 years ago would have killed him if he did what he does now - offensively and defensively.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Seems like I was dead wrong about this guy.

Looking more and more like the real deal.
You don't say! Not you?!
928.jpg

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
he will be on it from the start imo
Incredibly unlikely as they will not just arbitrarily demote Matheson.

As I have maintained since we traded for Laine, there needs to be two strong PP's with Laine, Hutson and Dach being the nucleus of the 2nd unit. More of a 1a,1b situation depending on which unit is fresher.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sagikev

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I think

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Reinbacher

Is the perceived top 4 long term.
If Reinbacher and Guhle are our two best defensive D's, while Hutson is the best offensive D rather than Mailloux, I think the future will look more like this:

Hutson-Reinbacher
Guhle-Mailloux

Put Guhle and Reinbacher together to protect the score, Hutson and Mailloux to tie a late game.

I don't see Matheson staying after his contract. Too many lefties knocking at the door and Matheson will be looking for one last big payday.

Reactions: bcv

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
It will be interesting to see what MSL does, I'm not a fan of Matheson, Hutson should be the #1 PP QB.

Matheson has a much better shot than Hutson but Hutson has the higher IQ and ridiculous puck skills.

I agree that I would prefer to see Hutson on the top unit if there is an actual top unit as opposed to a 1a,1b that I think will be the case. Matheson will start with Suzuki's crew and Hutson will start with Dach's crew imo. I think it would be seen as a demotion for Matheson to be separated from the Suzuki unit and I do not see MSL making those waves straight out of camp.

MSL may simply use the promotion as a reward to push Lane to improve his rush defence as he has been beaten quite easily a few times in preseason but I think he will be the top PP QB on this team for a long time and maybe one of the very best in the entire league.

If everyone stays healthy we could potentially put up elite pp numbers which would likely vault us into a playoff spot. I am excited to see such a brilliant young talent making plays at the top of the umbrella and can't wait to see what happens next year when Demidov is added to the mix.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Matheson has a much better shot than Hutson but Hutson has the higher IQ and ridiculous puck skills.

I agree that I would prefer to see Hutson on the top unit if there is an actual top unit as opposed to a 1a,1b that I think will be the case. Matheson will start with Suzuki's crew and Hutson will start with Dach's crew imo. I think it would be seen as a demotion for Matheson to be separated from the Suzuki unit and I do not see MSL making those waves straight out of camp.

Matheson failed as the PP QB last year so to me he's lost that job if I were MSL. Or so I assume as I didn't watch very much.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I think

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Reinbacher

Is the perceived top 4 long term.

It is a tricky question to answer as Lane will likely always be our worst defender despite his huge offensive upside. Do they use him 5 vs 5 on the 3rd pairing against the opponents 3rd and 4th lines and let lesser skilled dmen match up with the league's top scorers? I would love to see him tried eventually on the right side as he has the brains, hands and elusiveness to pull it off.

It is a great dilemma to have and will be interesting to see how everything evolves.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Matheson failed as the PP QB last year so to me he's lost that job if I were MSL. Or so I assume as I didn't watch very much.
The shortcomings of the PP were entirely on the fact that we did not have a remotely viable 2nd unit. Both Suzuki and Matheson had good PP numbers.

He put up 62 points last year with 28 of them on the pp and to say he failed would be the same as saying every player failed so why not replace all of them. 28 pp points is nothing to sneeze at and while I am in agreement that Hutson would be an upgrade, Matheson is still a legitimate PP option on most if not all NHL teams. Matheson has two clear advantages as he is a far superior skater and as we saw last season could often catch and neutralize players that appeared to be destined for a full breakaway attempt. He also has a much heavier shot than Hutson although Hutson is so sneaky at flicking the puck on net through lane manipulation and with pinpoint accuracy. My biggest issue with Matheson was that he almost never one touched a pass as he would always catch and collect which gave the opposition time to adjust. Lane is much smarter in this regard and I trust him more than I do Matheson to make better and more effective decisions.

So, we definitely agree but I would just push back a little on the harshness with which Matheson is being portrayed as he is getting heat that is disproportionate with his deficiencies.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sorinth and ZUKI

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He put up 62 points last year with 28 of them on the pp and to say he failed would be the same as saying every player failed so why not replace all of them. 28 pp points is nothing to sneeze at and while I am in agreement that Hutson would be an upgrade, Matheson is still a legitimate PP option on most if not all NHL teams. Matheson has two clear advantages as he is a far superior skater and as we saw last season could often catch and neutralize players that appeared to be destined for a full breakaway attempt. He also has a much heavier shot than Hutson although Hutson is so sneaky at flicking the puck on net through lane manipulation and with pinpoint accuracy. My biggest issue with Matheson was that he almost never one touched a pass as he would always catch and collect which gave the opposition time to adjust. Lane is much smarter in this regard and I trust him more than I do Matheson to make better and more effective decisions.

So, we definitely agree but I would just push back a little on the harshness with which Matheson is being portrayed as he is getting heat that is disproportionate with his deficiencies.

Aside from the hawks, jackets, flyers, and sabers they had the worst PP in the league, so to me that's not getting the job done. Plus he just does some dumb shit as the shot is there but his vision sucks.

Reactions: bcv

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Aside from the hawks, jackets, flyers, and sabers they had the worst PP in the league, so to me that's not getting the job done. Plus he just does some dumb shit as the shot is there but his vision sucks.

The way to fix that apparently is to trade for one of the best PP players in the world and put him in 2nd PP.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

That was entirely due to not having a second unit. Only 7 dmen in the entire league had more pp points than Matheson with the leader (Makar) having only 8 more pp points despite having Mackinnon/Rantanen/Nichuskin with him. The numbers would suggest that Suzuki and Matheson were responsible for almost all of the production that we did get and I don't know how they were going to make the 2nd unit viable from the bench. I watched every one of their games and while Matheson does frustrate me with the need to dust the puck off every time he receives it, he also made a lot of surprising plays with his feet that very few NHL dmen can dream of making and they resulted in some goals that only he could facilitate on this team.

It just can't be argued that he failed as a pp QB even though I am in agreement that Hutson can do even better which should be viewed as more of an endorsement of Hutson's abilities than an indictment on Matheson's abilities. We can agree that Hutson should be the eventual heir to the job but I don't think that necessitates an overly enthusiastic rebuke of Matheson's value.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The way to fix that apparently is to trade for one of the best PP players in the world and put him in 2nd PP.

I don't know the story on Laine, other then he had to get treatment so I will wait and see how they handle him and how it goes. Just to me, given we were 5th last last year, not likely going to sniff the playoffs, the PP has been a total failure since we lost Markov, Hutson from day 1 would be my PP QB. If they want to use Matheson next to him, that's risky defensively but with his shot it could work out well as Hutson knows how to get pucks to everyone on the ice not just one side of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad