Prospect Info: Lane Hutson Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
That was entirely due to not having a second unit. Only 7 dmen in the entire league had more pp points than Matheson with the leader (Makar) having only 8 more pp points despite having Mackinnon/Rantanen/Nichuskin with him. The numbers would suggest that Suzuki and Matheson were responsible for almost all of the production that we did get and I don't know how they were going to make the 2nd unit viable from the bench. I watched every one of their games and while Matheson does frustrate me with the need to dust the puck off every time he receives it, he also made a lot of surprising plays with his feet that very few NHL dmen can dream of making and they resulted in some goals that only he could facilitate on this team.

It just can't be argued that he failed as a pp QB even though I am in agreement that Hutson can do even better which should be viewed as more of an endorsement of Hutson's abilities than an indictment on Matheson's abilities. We can agree that Hutson should be the eventual heir to the job but I don't think that necessitates an overly enthusiastic rebuke of Matheson's value.

how much TOI does the 2nd unit get on ave? the PP sucked as Matheson is not a good QB imo. I would bet heavily if you put Hutson in Matheson's spot last year the PP would have been a good bit higher cause he can spread the puck around well, something I don't think Matheson does.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
That was entirely due to not having a second unit. Only 7 dmen in the entire league had more pp points than Matheson with the leader (Makar) having only 8 more pp points despite having Mackinnon/Rantanen/Nichuskin with him. The numbers would suggest that Suzuki and Matheson were responsible for almost all of the production that we did get and I don't know how they were going to make the 2nd unit viable from the bench. I watched every one of their games and while Matheson does frustrate me with the need to dust the puck off every time he receives it, he also made a lot of surprising plays with his feet that very few NHL dmen can dream of making and they resulted in some goals that only he could facilitate on this team.

It just can't be argued that he failed as a pp QB even though I am in agreement that Hutson can do even better which should be viewed as more of an endorsement of Hutson's abilities than an indictment on Matheson's abilities. We can agree that Hutson should be the eventual heir to the job but I don't think that necessitates an overly enthusiastic rebuke of Matheson's value.

I still am lookong forward to seeing us when both Matheson and Hutson are healthy and in the lineup. They won't play on the same pair, unless we're trying to come back at the end of the game. But it could be a really good back to back one two punch. It will be lile having a 4th forward on the ice for 40 to 50 minutes of the game. I think it could really be exciting. Hopefully Guhle and Savard can hold down the defensive end!

And then same thing on the pp. It could be quite the luxury to eventually have Hutson on the first unit and Matheson on the second.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
how much TOI does the 2nd unit get on ave? the PP sucked as Matheson is not a good QB imo. I would bet heavily if you put Hutson in Matheson's spot last year the PP would have been a good bit higher cause he can spread the puck around well, something I don't think Matheson does.

Like I pointed out, he was one of the highest producing PP dmen in the league last season and that just can not be argued with especially when we were at or near the bottom of the league in pp opportunities. At the end of the season Marty had pretty much given up on the second unit but most teams run their first unit much more than their 2nd unit.

You already pointed out that you don't watch many Montreal games so I am a little confused as to where your opposition to his stats are even coming from.

If I am correct this conversation won't matter a whole lot as we may actually run two strong units (which is a rarity in the NHL) and Hutson and Matheson will be QBing the unit with the freshest legs and/or the unit that is enjoying the most success.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Like I pointed out, he was one of the highest producing PP dmen in the league last season and that just can not be argued with especially when we were at or near the bottom of the league in pp opportunities. At the end of the season Marty had pretty much given up on the second unit but most teams run their first unit much more than their 2nd unit.

You already pointed out that you don't watch many Montreal games so I am a little confused as to where your opposition to his stats are even coming from.

If I am correct this conversation won't matter a whole lot as we may actually run two strong units (which is a rarity in the NHL) and Hutson and Matheson will be QBing the unit with the freshest legs and/or the unit that is enjoying the most success.

So i'm not concerned with him being the highest point producing, I'm looking for him to QB the PP, so he needs to make everyone on the ice better and I don't think he does that very well at all and I think Hutson will. We know he can shoot the puck but his decision making/vision need work imo.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
I don't know the story on Laine, other then he had to get treatment so I will wait and see how they handle him and how it goes. Just to me, given we were 5th last last year, not likely going to sniff the playoffs, the PP has been a total failure since we lost Markov, Hutson from day 1 would be my PP QB. If they want to use Matheson next to him, that's risky defensively but with his shot it could work out well as Hutson knows how to get pucks to everyone on the ice not just one side of it.

I have watched Laine since he was 16 and he already had the claim to the best shot in the world then, most just didn't know it yet. It has historically worked better with a RH defenseman on the point because they can basically redirect a pass from right side to the left quickly and allow the onetimer while goalie is still moving and not square to him.

With left handed D that speed of crossing doesn't happen, CBJ totally nerfed Laine by having Werenski run the PP1, he is a shoot first left handed defenseman, excellent player but not ideal when you have a better shot on the left, where he would not pass often and it would be obvious and slow. CBJ started using Laine on RD spot in PP (and he could score from there with
wristers, no onetimer ) because they wanted Johnny Hockey to run it from left.

Hutson is what can create that room and get the puck to Patty, even though he is LH. He is capable of drawing opponents to him and then getting the puck to open teammates. He can exploit the space if opponents are focusing on blocking Patty as they usually do.

Reactions: montreal

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
So i'm not concerned with him being the highest point producing, I'm looking for him to QB the PP, so he needs to make everyone on the ice better and I don't think he does that very well at all and I think Hutson will. We know he can shoot the puck but his decision making/vision need work imo.

Agreed that he needs work in those areas and interestingly enough I wonder how much the vet will try and learn from Lane as Matheson would be a franchise dman with Hutson's mind.

The points do matter however as Matheson does create a lot of opportunities all by himself and was unequivocally a high end PP point man last season. I prefer the way Hutson goes about it as I am a process person and I prefer to see a chain of correct decisions rather than a faulty decision that requires phenomenal skill to rectify.

We do need to pull the reigns a little on the Hutson hype though as this is preseason and even though I think he will still work his magic, he still needs to prove that he can consistently do it in games that count at a rate that mitigates any defensive short comings. I won't bet against the kid as my favourite attribute of his is his fierce competitive nature and his unwavering belief in himself.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Suzuki was the true QB from the half wall. Matheson was just the release valve. The reset guy.

Also, a 2nd unit plays a key part with 35-40% of the work. For example, the Rangers had rookie Fox on PP2 and Deangelo on PP1. Both had the same production rate as MM last season. No drop off. Meanwhile, we had Xhekaj and barron with no production.

I don’t even care who’s on PP1 this season, BTW. It will work itself out.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
The season isn't started and yet some are mad because Hutson wasn't on the PP1 during practise. Seriously...as if lines are settled for the complete season, without any possible move.We are spending too much time inside i suppose, we need fresh air and a bit of sun
friens.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad