Post-Game Talk: NHL Trade Deadline - Canucks trade Diaz for a 5th, Kesler remains a Canuck

Finkle is Einhorn

Oct 13, 2003
Visit site
Based on the way they're playing, I don't think it would be much of an issue to get a lot of these to waive their NTC. From the looks of things, they probably want to get away from Torts asap.

Yeah I'm not sure why Kesler wouldn't waive for the likes of CBJ. Close to home and, at the very least, every bit as likely to make the playoffs as Vancouver next year.

We might have to adjust the view we've had from our ivory tower the last few years.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Yes, Gillis needs to sit down with Kesler's agent and get some written language out of him as to which teams he will go to.

Can make a pretty good guess...

• Chicago
  • Anaheim
  • Penguins
  • Boston
  • St. Louis
  • San Jose
  • Detroit
  • Los Angeles
  • Philadelphia (maybe, probably)
  • Colorado (maybe, if they have a good playoffs)
  • Minnesota (maybe)
  • Tampa Bay (maybe)

* I would have added Columbus as a "maybe", if I didn't hear that he already said no... and I'll assume that's true that he did say no.

I think there would be 8 - 12 teams he would waive to. Of those teams, I'd imagine that half would be really interested (given various reasons)... So, perhaps a serious market of between 4 - 6 teams - assuming that the Canucks don't put things like "direct competitor" to cut the list down further (which I don't think they'd do).

I think this is a pretty good number of teams. It takes two serious teams, to tango a good offer. It takes three or more serious teams, to start getting into great offers. Canucks should be right there with a Kesler trade. There's also an outside chance that there could be 7 - 10 teams, if the Canucks can find some more luck. Law of averages? Can't have bad luck, forever.

If the Canucks are serious about trading Kesler (and it appears they are), I'm not worried about being able to get value back this summer.

Off-topic, but for Edler, my opinion is that he wouldn't be so militant about being dealt to an American contender (therefore, more potential destinations). How many friends he has there, IMO, would be a significant determining factor. If you package Edler with one or two friends (or send him to Florida to be with Lu) I don't think he'd block a deal.

Somewhere where Edler can slip into #2 dman role (pressure to be a #1 off), perhaps going with a Hansen (or Kesler), or meeting up again with Lu in Florida, he'd be good to go, IMO.

Speaking of which, I do see Florida putting in a significant offer to get Edler (if the Canucks are looking to trade him).

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
It was just some rumours about how Kesler temporary forgot he was married at a club.
I do not know if it is true or not though...
Because I read about it a couple of months ago...
But I have not heard anything again.

huh, i was expecting some despicable dane fox business. or at least some raffi torres-crazy eyes-makes teammates' wives uncomfortable-stuff. i mean really? to requote the post i was responding to:

totally throwing stuff against the wall to see if it will stick but...

maybe kesler's reputation preceded him and teams didn't wanna touch him with a 10 ft pole unless it was for a steal of a deal.

all you gotta do is a quick google search to find out about his alleged extra-curricular activities.

won't somebody think of the children, am i right?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Based on the way they're playing, I don't think it would be much of an issue to get a lot of these to waive their NTC. From the looks of things, they probably want to get away from Torts asap.

Torts is going to be a Keenan like enema at the current rate.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
edler to boston? tfp reporterd dougie hamliton/bartowski...?

There is NO way we were offered dougie hamilton. ZERO.

it was probably something along the lines of spooner/bartowski/Khokhlachev.

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
Hahah.

Seeing other fanbases saying "Canucks should fire Gillis" for not trading Edler for that joke of a package.

Thank God we didn't pull that trigger if that package existed though. Also pretty hilarious at how angry these other teams are by leaking information trying to rile up fans. First Pittsburgh and Anaheim now Boston. What a joke. Get over it, you didn't get Kesler or Edler.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Torts is going to be a Keenan like enema at the current rate.

I don't know, it looks bad right now but there's we're not hearing any of the same type of stories that we heard when Keenan was running the show. Also up until his suspension everything was going just fine, apart from mabe the ice time thing everyone was more or less happy with Torts.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
In certain situations, it may be better to take what you can get ie the Bobby Lou situation. Fortunately, the Kesler situation is not, as of yet, close to being in the same region as the Luongo fiasco.

An example of it working the other way is when Buffalo got a first for Paul Gaustad. People use that as an example for deadline rental prices, but really it was Regeir setting his demand for a first and not budging. He could have gotten nothing and seen Gaustad walk for nothing in the summer, but Nashville took the bait. Was Gaustad worth a 1st? Definitely not, but it was the only way Nashville was going to get him.

Now keep in mind that for a playoff team a 1st rounder can be a disposable asset. If a GM screws up here it's not going to really cost them in the long run. The same can't really be said for an expensive asset like Kesler. For Gillis to hold out for Gaustad like value on Kesler would be far too risky for the team. My intent wasn't to suggest he should, but just saying. You can play this game to a more moderate degree, like refusing any offers like what Pittsburgh made at the deadline.

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
he said aquillini is unpredictable. Would he be surprised if aquillini spent some money and cleaned house? No. but its highly unlikely.

StIllmatic

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
Link? I can find nothing on Twitter or any of his articles.

I would love to hear his interview if he indeed did say that. That's disapointing considering how many tickets we sell and how outrageous the price are. I don't want Gillis fired, but its hard to win without an owner fully committed to winning as well.

Wetcoaster

I would love to hear his interview if he indeed did say that. That's disapointing considering how many tickets we sell and how outrageous the price are. I don't want Gillis fired, but its hard to win without an owner fully committed to winning as well.
The problem is the Aquilini Bros are too much of fan boys not really an issue of not being fully committed to winning.

Wetcoaster

Thanks for the link.

Good move by Gillis to not trade Kesler at the deadline and re-assess in the off-season.

Not as bad as they seem right now.

Aquilini is unpredictable - could clean house (GMMG) but unlikely to eat so much money.

I did not read the interview of being critical of the Aquilinis not being willing to spend money - just not spending it stupidly... like a compliance buy-out for Luongo.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
doesnt gillis have 3 more years left on his contract? saw spoetsnet the other day, ed willies speculated that aquaman might not want to fire gillis yet and still pay him if he isn't employed by the organization. same with torts

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
According to the Boston Globe article (posted in a couple of other threads) it was indeed Bartkowski and Khokhlachev or Spooner.

Hamilton was never mentioned.

That was all speculations though.
The reporter said that there was a deal...
But he did not know who that player was...
Or what was offered.
The name Edler was thrown out...
But it seemed to be a little wishful thinking to me.

I actually think it might be another player.
Edler is pretty adamant that he will not waive his no-trade...
And that package might be better suited for Bieksa...
Or even Hamhuis.
Bieksa said that he would not waive...
But Hamhuis was pretty silent on the matter.
I think it may be him.
This is all a pure guess on my part though...
And none of it could be true.

I think that Boston writer just wanted to drum up some attention...
Based on the very little information he actually has.
That was why he left a lot of room in the article...
Just in case he needed to backtrack.

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
That was all speculations though.
The reporter said that there was a deal...
But he did not know who that player was...
Or what was offered.
The name Edler was thrown out...
But it seemed to be a little wishful thinking to me.

I actually think it might be another player.
Edler is pretty adamant that he will not waive his no-trade...
And that package might be better suited for Bieksa...
Or even Hamhuis.
Bieksa said that he would not waive...
But Hamhuis was pretty silent on the matter.
I think it may be him.
This is all a pure guess on my part though...
And none of it could be true.

I think that Boston writer just wanted to drum up some attention...
Based on the very little information he actually has.
That was why he left a lot of room in the article...
Just in case he needed to backtrack.

I don't know what to think
Maybe the globe just being a dink.
All this talk makes me feel
Boston slippery as an eel.

Trading Edler for a spare part
Does not seem to me, very smart.
Same with Kes on Deadline Day
Rather see him with us to play.

So from now on, as you see fit
This is how you should post a bit
Because iambic penatameter as you know
Is to poetry what cold is to snow.

Wetcoaster

doesnt gillis have 3 more years left on his contract? saw spoetsnet the other day, ed willies speculated that aquaman might not want to fire gillis yet and still pay him if he isn't employed by the organization. same with torts
4 years after this season, same as Tortorella.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I don't know what to think
Maybe the globe just being a dink.
All this talk makes me feel
Boston slippery as an eel.

Trading Edler for a spare part
Does not seem to me, very smart.
Same with Kes on Deadline Day
Rather see him with us to play.

So from now on, as you see fit
This is how you should post a bit