Post-Game Talk: NHL Trade Deadline - Canucks trade Diaz for a 5th, Kesler remains a Canuck

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Friedman talks about Kesler refusing to waive for CLB and NYR. He also says it was a bit ad hock for the Canucks because they haven't sat down with Kesler to come up with a firm compromise for him and the team, list wise. It's why he could reject moves out of turn.

He says the team and Kesler will likely sit down and formulate an offseason plan, for his "list", so they are able to react better to offers. Also, he says that there were teams wanting in on Kesler, that couldnt do it that point (think he was referring to CHI).

Good material in that interview.

The Chicago thing makes sense. They would have had to move a player like Bickell -- and, sure, his contract is bad, but they might be perfectly happy having him around once the cap increases. They'd probably prefer to add Kesler without subtracting from their roster if they don't need to.

Honestly, the deadline at least started the market up, let people know Gillis had a price he wants met, and now the other teams can fight amongst themselves. And they will.

MrShift4

GRRRR.......Babe
Aug 17, 2011
Calgary
Edler wont waive his NTC. None of the D will be moved cause Bieksa, Hamhuis, Garrison wont either and Tanev isn't getting trading. Kesler, Hansen, Higgins are the only pieces I see moving.

I was wondering about that. I wonder if any of them would change their minds between now and the draft.

MrShift4

GRRRR.......Babe
Aug 17, 2011
Calgary
The Chicago thing makes sense. They would have had to move a player like Bickell -- and, sure, his contract is bad, but they might be perfectly happy having him around once the cap increases. They'd probably prefer to add Kesler without subtracting from their roster if they don't need to.

Honestly, the deadline at least started the market up, let people know Gillis had a price he wants met, and now the other teams can fight amongst themselves. And they will.

I truly believe this. So happy he didn't buckle.
Same with Burke and Camel...........Cameller........Calamari......however you spell it. You have to set/maintain your standard for what you are willing to deal.

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
I truly believe this. So happy he didn't buckle.
Same with Burke and Camel...........Cameller........Calamari......however you spell it. You have to set/maintain your standard for what you are willing to deal.

There's a big difference: Kesler is not an upending UFA.

John Bender*

I was wondering about that. I wonder if any of them would change their minds between now and the draft.

They could get anyone to waive. Just healthy scratch them a few times. They'll be begging to go.

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
Irrelevant to the point I am making.
No matter what the situation you don't buckle to the guy across the table.

In certain situations, it may be better to take what you can get ie the Bobby Lou situation. Fortunately, the Kesler situation is not, as of yet, close to being in the same region as the Luongo fiasco.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009

Some of them could waive...
Since it looks to be a rebuild.
Many players want their names to be on the cup.
If there is a chance to be on a contender...
Then they may just go for it.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
That wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

Agreed. I think it's time we start playing our young kids. Sooner or later they are going to have to get NHL game experience and I can't think of a better time. We should be taking advantage of the changeover we're going to be going through and getting some youngsters into the lineup on a regular basis. Forget overpaying for FA's and get Horvat, Hunter, Jensen, Corrado and Gaunce into the lineup

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
Pens fan coming in peace but I thought this article was an interesting read

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/...cks-shelved/tCUaNYF27MQtNy1i5Qe75K/story.html

Thanks for the link!

If that's true, I'm not sure how I feel. While those pieces aren't bad, I was hoping for something else and a little more (i.e. top-6 forward or a great prospect and a 1st). However, given the offers on Kesler, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. I'm also higher on Edler than most (though that's not saying much these days). If that's the return, I'd much rather keep Edler.

Edit: Yikes, I didn't see a 1st mentioned as I had initially thought. I hope Gillis wasn't serious about accepting that....

Last edited:

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Kane might be the best thing happen to the Canucks. If the rumblings are true that he is campaigning for Kesley to be his center and putting his long term future with the hawks in doubt if doesn't get his way.

Given a couple of cups the hawks are going to have a hard time with a "trade him" decision. He's part of an incredibly successful core not a failed one.

Though to be honest a lot of these home team reports reek of excuses as to why teams didn't do anything to improve their teams at the deadline.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Likewise, they're all garbage offers.

I remember Bobby Mac reporting on offers from both NYR and CBJ that were really nice and solid offers for Kesler. He wouldn't waive for those places. Hopefully his list expands in the summer.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
Kane might be the best thing happen to the Canucks. If the rumblings are true that he is campaigning for Kesley to be his center and putting his long term future with the hawks in doubt if doesn't get his way.

Given a couple of cups the hawks are going to have a hard time with a "trade him" decision. He's part of an incredibly successful core not a failed one.

Where's this from?

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
I remember Bobby Mac reporting on offers from both NYR and CBJ that were really nice and solid offers for Kesler. He wouldn't waive for those places. Hopefully his list expands in the summer.

Yes, Gillis needs to sit down with Kesler's agent and get some written language out of him as to which teams he will go to.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Where's this from?

Can't remember the report but it was something I've read the last couple of days that Kane was really pushing for kesler to be added as he really likes playing with him (see the Olympics). And he's always had a revolving door of centers. There is some concern in Chicago of getting him signed long term.

I think the rumoured deal was discussed on this board... TT. Leddy and pick but they couldn't clear space or something at the deadline.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Yes, Gillis needs to sit down with Kesler's agent and get some written language out of him as to which teams he will go to.

I'm sure they've already done that. The issue is Kesler probably had only 3 teams he would be willing to go to. PITT, BOS and CHI. That list needs to expand.

I still believe Kesler wants a change. I know some around here want to believe that the wonderful Kesler would never want out but I just don't buy into that. Where there is smoke there is almost always fire. I am pretty convinced he wants to move on. If this is truly the case he's going to have to expand his list. Risk Nash started out much the same but later expanded his list just to get the F out of town.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
Can't remember the report but it was something I've read the last couple of days that Kane was really pushing for kesler to be added as he really likes playing with him (see the Olympics). And he's always had a revolving door of centers. There is some concern in Chicago of getting him signed long term.

I think the rumoured deal was discussed on this board... TT. Leddy and pick but they couldn't clear space or something at the deadline.

I see. Thanks! I'll check it out after class!

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Friedman talks about Kesler refusing to waive for CLB and NYR. He also says it was a bit ad hock for the Canucks because they haven't sat down with Kesler to come up with a firm compromise for him and the team, list wise. It's why he could reject moves out of turn.

He says the team and Kesler will likely sit down and formulate an offseason plan, for his "list", so they are able to react better to offers. Also, he says that there were teams wanting in on Kesler, that couldnt do it that point (think he was referring to CHI).

Good material in that interview.

As an aside: Says Tomas Vanek has a lot to prove. His value is in the tank because teams don't recognize his contribution as elite, which is why he didnt garner an elite price.
Do you have a podcast link by chance?

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
Based on the way they're playing, I don't think it would be much of an issue to get a lot of these to waive their NTC. From the looks of things, they probably want to get away from Torts asap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad