NHL to Atlanta odds just increased significantly

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

nhlfan79

Feb 3, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Would you ideally want a relocated team or a new team? Arizona has some prime talent to start from. I think I’d want a fresh team.

It would be the most unreal irony if the Coyotes relocated here and Matt McConnell became our TV play-by-play guy again.

(To be sure, I want the Coyotes to find a local solution and stay right where they are).

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
In terms of ice hockey? Doubtful.

You’re making some assumptions here you can really expand on.

Personally I caught the hockey bug while growing up in California, when all you had was the original six teams
They could if the ticket prices were the same as they are for teams such as Anaheim Ducks.

Again you’re just making assumptions you can’t expand on.

Dec 15, 2002
This I can agree with., But there's a caveat. Usa is untapped, but if you are going to expand and hope for success, do you try to target a region that's failed in 2 different generations, or do you try for a new one?
If only someone would explain what happened in Atlanta I and Atlanta II that caused those franchises to relocate. Well, maybe someone will do some extensive research and maybe talk to people who were there either time (or maybe even both times) and finally explain it here once. Or, 1,999 times.

The game has grown alot since the days of gretzky going to LA, but it hasn't worked in many areas, which leaves the highest earning markets, which are majority Canadian, to cover the differences in profit share.
I know this is going to come as a complete shock to people, seeing as how it's been explained 2,024 times before, but no matter where you put teams under the current cap system - which, BTW, requires revenue sharing in some fashion - someone is going to be receiving revenue sharing. It is mathematically impossible to move teams around, delete teams as desired, and somehow make everyone "above average" so that no one needs revenue sharing.

So I'd say while it's fine to target atl again, I don't feel they should get a heads up over ones that haven't had the opportunity or ones guaranteed to thrive.
1. Fans don't decide where teams operate. Owners do.
2. There is no guarantee that any franchise will thrive in a given location. Winning and competent ownership have a hell of a lot more to do with whether a franchise will thrive than where it's located.

Adding say a Quebec, that's printing money, which would be added to the support of the financially unstable like Arizona. Then u could add a Houston or etc. If the Utah owner really has a hard on there, I'd rather go there first, at least give them the shot.
And then those new markets would generate higher revenues, which would push up the salary cap, which means everyone has to spend more money, which weakens every single franchise whose revenues fall under the average - and there's going to be more under the average than over given how revenues by team skews - which means all the high-revenue teams have to fork over more in profit sharing to support their low-revenue brethren.

Unless, again, you can figure out how to defy the laws of mathematics and move/delete teams so that everyone is "above average."

If this happens, it really just feels like one man's mission (Bettmans) to push a square peg into a circular hole, and make his decisions work instead of admitting mb it's not the right time.
Real f***ing shame Bettman runs a dictatorship in the NHL, instead of doing what the other 32 owners ask him to do. Imagine how weird it would be if all the other team owners backed this idea, created a process to solicit bids, reviewed proposals from interested parties, and then voted to award new teams to interested owners who paid the requested fee.

Yeah, that's crazy talk. It's that goddamn asshole Bettman's decision to make on his own, and he flips out new franchises like he's dealing cards at the kitchen poker table.

Rest of league owners, majority don't gaf where it is, cuz they all share a take of the expansion fees, which will be same for whoever comes in, which if based on the past 2, this one will be probably 800 to just a shy under a billion dollars
:nod: You're so close to getting it.

chaser17

Dec 30, 2014
Hate the potential of this as a fan of the NHL, more expansion is just gonna water down the talent pool and decrease the odds of my favourite team winning the Stanley cup. $Dollar signs is all this is about, not the true fans.

Reactions: HolyCrap

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
ha!!

But Thrashers moved out years ago.
No star from Atlanta on pace for 700 goals.
Wonder though......is there anyone from Atlanta in the NHL ?
Idk, but there are a few NHLers from S FL, and some from Cali...
Then there’s that kid from Arizona that meets your criteria of a bonafide star who as a kid picked up a stick instead of football or a bat.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Haha I feel like I more Flyers gear than around Philly. If you assume a good team like Vegas or Seattle then it will kill. Maybe they will be good before the Flyers! I had season tickets to the Flyers but a new stadium and team sounds a lot more attractive to me. I don’t think people realize how prime of an area it is. Nothing agaisnt the people of Quebec but I think this is a better option.

Would you ideally want a relocated team or a new team? Arizona has some prime talent to start from. I think I’d want a fresh team.
Fresh team for sure. Way more fun to strategize and talk about expansion draft

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Hate the potential of this as a fan of the NHL, more expansion is just gonna water down the talent pool and decrease the odds of my favourite team winning the Stanley cup. $Dollar signs is all this is about, not the true fans.

If there’s anything true fans should rally around it’s less opportunity for people to enjoy hockey.

Reactions: Deep Blue Metallic

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
If you think the NHL is about the "true fans" you are suffering from an awful delusion. The NHL is for the "puck goes in we cheer, home team gets penalty we boo" fans who don't know the difference between an icing and an offsides but whose credit cards clear. The owners couldn't give a ratzazz about the "true fans" or purists or traditionalists or anybody else who think they have a higher love for or understanding of hockey than the great unwashed masses whose credit cards clear.

Professional hockey is nothing more or less than an entertainment product to which we are the mere consumers and our only power is to cease buying that product en masse.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
It's just a crappy sports town. Give SLC or Houston a chance.
A MLS team setting attendance records for soccer in NA, a well-supported Braves franchise, and a Falcons and Hawks franchise who suck but still manage to fill seats is the hallmark of a "crappy sports town", amirite?

You're entitled to your opinion, of course. I mean, you're wrong, but it's cool.

Last edited:

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me, fool me thrice... profit?

I'm very happy for the old fans of the Thrashers, as I know how it feels to lose your team and it sucks that they had to go through that, but I'm surprised the NHL wants to try that city a third time when the first two ended so poorly. Well, good luck to everyone. If the NHL has a third team leave there, and break the hearts of fans all over again, f*** them.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Third time should work

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me, fool me thrice... profit?

I'm very happy for the old fans of the Thrashers, as I know how it feels to lose your team and it sucks that they had to go through that, but I'm surprised the NHL wants to try that city a third time when the first two ended so poorly. Well, good luck to everyone. If the NHL has a third team leave there, and break the hearts of fans all over again, f*** them.
Checking in to make sure you know that the first time was 45 years ago. A movie ticket was $3.50, the average cost of a car was $7,000, and Atlanta was 1/3 the size it is today. Pretty silly to consider that. I mean, if you want to go back far, a ton of cities have had two teams move.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Checking in to make sure you know that the first time was 45 years ago. A movie ticket was $3.50, the average cost of a car was $7,000, and Atlanta was 1/3 the size it is today. Pretty silly to consider that. I mean, if you want to go back far, a ton of cities have had two teams move.
The first relocation was many years ago, so I don't blame you for discounting that, as many things have changed in that time. What I meant to get at is that the NHL had better not screw it up again by letting a third team leave because that would be pretty terrible. The combination of the NHL's decisions and bad ownership doomed the Thrashers. Hopefully, at least, the NHL makes better decisions in the future. I have my reservations about their ability to do so, but I hope they do.

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
A MLS team setting attendance records for soccer in NA, a well-supported Braves franchise, and a Falcons and Hawks franchise who suck but still manage to fill seats is the hallmark of a "crappy sports town", amirite?

You're entitled to your opinion, of course. I mean, you're wrong, but it's cool.
It's a crappy sports town. Support for the Falcons and Hawks especially is traditionally poor. If you disagree with that, I don't know what to tell you.

Wait until he finds out SLC and Houston are both already in the running. Mind=Blown.
I know they are in the running, genius. I'm saying that ATL shouldn't be.

But please continue being cute. Looks great on you.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
It's a crappy sports town. Support for the Falcons and Hawks especially is traditionally poor. If you disagree with that, I don't know what to tell you.
No it isn’t. You don’t know what to tell me because you don’t know what you’re talking about. The Hawks, which haven’t been good since Dominique Wilkins, has played to plenty of sell outs the last few seasons. The Braves have been top-5 attendance last few years. The MLS team has literally broken American soccer attendance records. The Falcons are fine. College football is so big here that they moved the hall of fame to downtown Atlanta several years ago. Bad sports town??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad