League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Bias aside, mark this down as another year without a cup raise even close to as memorable as Ovechkins. Doesn't help that ESPN completely botched this years cup raise either
Hell the coach this year was the most memorable hoist for my $……Barkov nearly put a sleeper on me he was so boring…

stephenball

Jan 7, 2018
No chance. 3x in a row in the Finals? Negator, in your back door
You’re right, it’s nearly impossible, it’s been 3 whole years since the last time.

I’m not saying I’m guaranteeing it, but if Florida makes the finals next year (depending on how their offseason goes) I wouldn’t be flabbergasted.

Reactions: kicksavedave

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
You’re right, it’s nearly impossible, it’s been 3 whole years since the last time.

I’m not saying I’m guaranteeing it, but if Florida makes the finals next year (depending on how their offseason goes) I wouldn’t be flabbergasted.

Technically, its been 3 years since a team from the same damn state actually did it. :naughty:

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
I don’t get the nurse contract at all, was there ever a time that he was worth that money? Why did they ever think that was a good idea. Or is getting players to stay in Edmonton that hard?

stephenball

Jan 7, 2018
I don’t get the nurse contract at all, was there ever a time that he was worth that money? Why did they ever think that was a good idea. Or is getting players to stay in Edmonton that hard?
It’s a strange one. I know he was highly thought of, and paying for upside is a thing. I could even get it if he was getting like, 7 a year. Making more than Makar is wild.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
If anyone has the time, the Panthers board GDT has all the 2018 feels.

And Connor McDickless not coming out and claiming his individual contributor prize: hilarious baby boy!

Reactions: PlushMinus

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
It’s a strange one. I know he was highly thought of, and paying for upside is a thing. I could even get it if he was getting like, 7 a year. Making more than Makar is wild.
It just seemed like a massive hinderance the day it was even signed. He wouldn’t have taken the same AAV even at just 5 years, I’m sure he would have. I just don’t get hockey contracts sometimes.

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018
I think they're going to have to find a way out of the Nurse and Campbell contracts before the start of the 2025-26 season, for sure. But Nurse has a full NMC until 2027, and his back-loaded signing bonuses essentially make his contract buyout proof, so Nurse is going to be a huge problem for them. Likely going to have to pay some premium draft assets to move him to a preferred destination that he'll waive for.
Part of the problem is they don't have a lot of those. They've already traded their 1st, 3rd, and 4th, this year, their 2nd, 4th, and 5th next year, and they've got the 25th ranked prospect pool per The Athletic. Any team trading for their 2025 1st is gonna be valuing it as a very late 1st. They've got the assets to ditch Campbell, but I don't know how they can afford to ditch Nurse, and they'll have to rely solely on UFAs to fill the gaps because they won't have the assets to acquire anyone any other way. Whatever they do, next summer is gonna be rough in Edmonton if they don't win the 2025 Cup.

Reactions: ClevelandCapsfan

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Part of the problem is they don't have a lot of those. They've already traded their 1st, 3rd, and 4th, this year, their 2nd, 4th, and 5th next year, and they've got the 25th ranked prospect pool per The Athletic. Any team trading for their 2025 1st is gonna be valuing it as a very late 1st. They've got the assets to ditch Campbell, but I don't know how they can afford to ditch Nurse, and they'll have to rely solely on UFAs to fill the gaps because they won't have the assets to acquire anyone any other way. Whatever they do, next summer is gonna be rough in Edmonton if they don't win the 2025 Cup.
And Im guessing their owner doesnt want to eat a ton of dead money for buyouts.
They could be a prime buyer for Nick Dowd and his contract

Dowd for Campbell gets us how much ++ ? Ifs Teds willing I would take a 1st rounder and buy out Campbell

• Wow
Reactions: ClevelandCapsfan

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I don't think they try to move Nurse until after 2024-25, so all their missing 2024 picks don't really matter (and it may be past the 2025 draft as well by the time he gets moved). So it comes down to how many 2026 picks they have left, where they still have a full stock there.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
How the f*** is Shea Weber a first ballot Hall of Famer?? Never won a Norris, or a Cup.

He hasn't won a single NHL award!!

For years now entry to the HHOF has been getting easier but this one takes the cake.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
How the f*** is Shea Weber a first ballot Hall of Famer?? Never won a Norris, or a Cup.

He hasn't won a single NHL award!!

For years now entry to the HHOF has been getting easier but this one takes the cake.
He's 49th in career points by a D, 16th in goals, 12th in ice time per game, 10th in PPG, 17th in GWG (I could go on) , all while being injured a ton. This sound like one of those what could have been selections while still playing over 1k games.

Reactions: Calicaps

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
He's 49th in career points by a D, 16th in goals, 12th in ice time per game, 10th in PPG, 17th in GWG (I could go on) , all while being injured a ton. This sound like one of those what could have been selections while still playing over 1k games.
Then he should go in the Hockey Hall of What Could Have Been :laugh:

Sure he was a heck of a player, but imo the HHOF should be reserved for players who were the cream of the crop. He doesn't resonate that way (with me). Even crazier he is FIRST BALLOT.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Sure he was a heck of a player, but imo the HHOF should be reserved for players who were the cream of the crop. He doesn't resonate that way (with me). Even crazier he is FIRST BALLOT.
THE HOFs are essentially all star level guys and up for the most part.....I don't have an issue with it....he's got significant individual stats to at least make it debatable.

Kazer

Jun 20, 2009
Maryland, US

He was judged to be one of the two best defensemen in the NHL twice (1st team all-star) and one of the top four twice (2nd team all-star). He finished top 10 in Norris voting 9 straight seasons. He was one of Canada's best six defensemen twice, winning gold in both Vancouver and Sochi.

I'd say he was cream of the crop. The only thing holding him back is longevity, but he still hit 1000 games. I would not have put him in first ballot, but he belongs in.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
He was judged to be one of the two best defensemen in the NHL twice (1st team all-star) and one of the top four twice (2nd team all-star). He finished top 10 in Norris voting 9 straight seasons. He was one of Canada's best six defensemen twice, winning gold in both Vancouver and Sochi.

I'd say he was cream of the crop. The only thing holding him back is longevity, but he still hit 1000 games. I would not have put him in first ballot, but he belongs in.

The first ballot part is what surprises me the most.

Has anybody here actually been to the HHOF? I have not. I should add it to my bucket list.

Reactions: Alexander the Gr8

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Stop, you just admitted to only ever seeing just highlights….not sure you have much footing to stand on…

The league has never been more watered down than today. When McDavid Captains his 2nd Cup, and has around 1800 points, get back to me for a serious debate.

Talk to you in around 9 years when McDavid is around season 18. ;)

The highlights are one thing, I'm saying I watched replays of entire games to formulate an opinion.

I don't share your opinion about the league being watered down. Even 4th liners today are miles ahead of where they were 15 years ago. Everybody skates well, handles the puck well and shoot well in the NHL today.

McDavid is 18 points away from 1,000 at the age of 27. With good fortune and health, he'll end up with 2,000 +. I don't think it's so crazy to put him in the conversation at the very least for the top 5 of all time. I think he's definitely turning the traditional Big 4 (Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, Howe) into a Big 5.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
The first ballot part is what surprises me the most.

Has anybody here actually been to the HHOF? I have not. I should add it to my bucket list.
I have been twice. One before kids and once with my son when on a hockey tournament. It is fun. The building itself is very low key in downtown Toronto. You should definitely go if you can. Pair it with a Caps game while there.

Reactions: PlushMinus

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
The highlights are one thing, I'm saying I watched replays of entire games to formulate an opinion.

I don't share your opinion about the league being watered down. Even 4th liners today are miles ahead of where they were 15 years ago. Everybody skates well, handles the puck well and shoot well in the NHL today.

McDavid is 18 points away from 1,000 at the age of 27. With good fortune and health, he'll end up with 2,000 +. I don't think it's so crazy to put him in the conversation at the very least for the top 5 of all time. I think he's definitely turning the traditional Big 4 (Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, Howe) into a Big 5.
Top 5 is an entirely different conversation from the GOAT.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad